Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 11:16 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkman75229 View Post
Ok, so let’s take that route. Dallas voters approved an anti-discrimination ordinance in 2002. It implicitly covered sexual identity but to make the ordinance unambiguous, the Dallas City Council amended the ordinance to specifically state sexual identity to be included. This is partly what started this current push for codified discrimination.

So you see, democracy in Texas is really only ok when it reinforces religious or anti-science (look what the state did to Denton) points of view.

I personally am adamantly against this "bathroom bill". My company is also against it, thus we have contacted Joe Strauss to register our objection and will be putting expansion plans on hold until the outcome of this vote. Our company has very strict non-discrimination policies and we will not concentrate dollars in regressive states. Despite the statements to the contrary that position is not about trying to force the state to do anything, but it is our money and we can spend it where we want.
The bolded is so true. These state politicians love to bash the federal government and talk about "local control," but have the audacity to intrude on local affairs in communities of their own state. Hypocrisy at it's finest. Even worse are the hundreds of lawsuits against the federal government! Our tax dollars being wasted on fruitless efforts. If you disagree with the federal government, you have a right to express that at the ballot box. Quit wasting taxpayer dollars. It's cheaper to just comply with whatever federal rule you're protesting, than to continually fight that in court.

Dan Patrick is also a religious ideologue who has total disregard towards the constitution of the state and the U.S. The U.S. and the state of Texas ARE NOT theocracies. This isn't Iran or Saudi Arabia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 08:44 PM

716 posts, read 539,476 times
i thought we did just that - voted and liberal point of view lost- it is clear your views are in the minority - and this country was founded on religious rights - it seems you can not accept the fact the majority won and you can not deal with losing
Dan Partick and many like him live by their principles and those are formed by his religious beliefs - you may not agree with those values but he was elected and by our constitution is the president of the senate -

i guess you should follow your own advice and vote him out - but for those who voted for him admire his courage to follow those principles he has -

Texas and the US citizens are in fact a very moral and religious people - you just can't accept that fact and have to bash those who have different views - your might want to brush up on your history - God is in the very core of our founding and can found throughout in the Declaration, Pledge of Allegiance and Bill of Rights- Texas Preamble, sections 4.5.6 of Texas Constitution

Old 01-21-2017, 09:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
i thought we did just that - voted and liberal point of view lost- it is clear your views are in the minority - and this country was founded on religious rights - it seems you can not accept the fact the majority won and you can not deal with losing
Dan Partick and many like him live by their principles and those are formed by his religious beliefs - you may not agree with those values but he was elected and by our constitution is the president of the senate -

i guess you should follow your own advice and vote him out - but for those who voted for him admire his courage to follow those principles he has -

Texas and the US citizens are in fact a very moral and religious people - you just can't accept that fact and have to bash those who have different views - your might want to brush up on your history - God is in the very core of our founding and can found throughout in the Declaration, Pledge of Allegiance and Bill of Rights- Texas Preamble, sections 4.5.6 of Texas Constitution
From the Treaty of Tripoli, first treaty of the new country, read before the entire Senate and ratified unanimously, June 10, 1797. John Adams, President.

"ARTICLE 11. As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,-as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,-and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries"

I recommend a thorough reading of the writings of the founders of the country, the men who wrote the Constitution, to get their take on what you say above.

Dan Patrick is more than welcome to live by his principles. That does NOT absolve him of the Constitutional requirement, as an elected government official, to keep his religion OUT of laws that he puts forth. He persists in ignoring this and spends lots and lots of taxpayers' money on futile lawsuits as a result. Anther out of stater (a radio talk-show host from Maryland) who comes here and tries not only to tell us what Texas is like, but tries to make it into his stereotype of the state. No, thank you.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:34 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
Quote:

1. Donald Trump lost the popular vote. He may have won the electoral vote but he doesn't have a mandate.

2. Amendment 1 of Constitution: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." This amendment enshrined in the Constitution the separation of church and state. Not only is there a freedom or religion but there is also the freedom from relgion.

3. According to the Pew Forum, a 2014 national poll found that while 70.6 % of US residents polled were Christian, 22.8% were unaffiliated (Agnostic, Atheist, don't know or nothing in particular). Pew also found in 2014 that a little more than half (51%) attend church regularly (at least once a month) which 49% attend rarely or not at all. When you called the US a religious nation you were overstating it.

4. The Pledge of Allegiance was written in 1892 in a children's magazine. "Under God" wasn't included until 1954. The US Supreme Court has not ruled on the constitutionality of requiring students to recite it. Some US Courts of Appeals have ruled for and some against. The Declaration of Independence isn't the law; the Constitution is.

5. You misspelled Dan Patrick's name.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:57 PM

you made my point thank you

Trump won period sorry you can't deal with - cleary you dont understand the electoral college and why its in the constitution - the reason its there is simple no one or a few states can control the election - same reason why there are 2 senators per state - your side lost - your candidate took for granted those rust belt states - Trump smarter and knew how to win

2 amendment 1 you can type now read it - again it states no-one can be denied the right to religious freedom - you can't stand the fact patrick is religious -

3 you made my point this is a nation of believers

4 the Pledge has been upheld several times by the supreme court - they clearly stated its not mandatory but can't be denied either by states

its apparent you can't stand when someone has principles and lives by them - i would rather have elected officials that have guiding principles to guide them by than ones than changes as the wind blows or by polls

patrick is leading based on his principles - too bad for those who dont agreed with those principles - elections matter and it was secret how he lives his life- you would be better off trying to change the voters mind the next election - because he's certainly not going to change his principles for you -

that might be a uphill battle since texans are religious by a very large margin

i guess you can always move to ny or cal where liberal attitudes are so successful = hehehe

Old 01-21-2017, 11:05 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
I have just as much right to live here as you do. I have at least one ancestor who fought at the Alamo. That's how long my family has been here. Not all Texans are religious or conservative. I could care less about Dan Patrick's beliefs as long as he doesn't try to impose them on me. True Texans used to have a more live and let live attitude and they used to have better manners. I remember when Texans refused to vote for Clayton Williams because he insulted a lady.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:57 AM

nobody said you can't live here- the issue is the our elected leadership has guiding principles and you dont agree with those that guide patrick - i accept that - however he is going to vote and govern based on those values -

you may like those values - but he won- your side lost its that simple -

I agree with your statement about live and let live - however Texas has imploded with liberals from Calif - Ny - etc and they bring their liberal attitudes with them - including attacks against religion, morals, etc. Look at Austin - drop that City in Los Angles County and you would think its no different than Santa Monica.

I agree that elected officials including those on the right bring values that are counter to the original sprit of Texans - but with the grow and the influences brought in by outsiders its very important to vet those who you vote for. I bet there are colt that feel patrick is not going far enough?

If we - you and i want the sprint of independence and self reliance to be a guiding principle for texas we need to find those candidates who support that- its too bad that the current leaders what to spend our hard earned money on several liberal ideas and not following their Republican roots - i dont agree with alot they do too-

As obmma ( sic) said elections matter- we got what we got - as least we know wheres he headed - i dont hear anyone complain how obama pardon that killer for porto rico who killed American citizens - or commenting that traitors sentence who sold our our country last week - i would that have principled leadership than a wishy washy change with the wind former politicians we had in washingotn

no my family only goes back to 1843 who lived here - mostly in Sulpher Springs area 4 generations

have a great day - i know i will

Old 01-22-2017, 01:57 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
nobody said you can't live here- the issue is the our elected leadership has guiding principles and you dont agree with those that guide patrick - i accept that - however he is going to vote and govern based on those values -

you may like those values - but he won- your side lost its that simple -

I agree with your statement about live and let live - however Texas has imploded with liberals from Calif - Ny - etc and they bring their liberal attitudes with them - including attacks against religion, morals, etc. Look at Austin - drop that City in Los Angles County and you would think its no different than Santa Monica.

I agree that elected officials including those on the right bring values that are counter to the original sprit of Texans - but with the grow and the influences brought in by outsiders its very important to vet those who you vote for. I bet there are colt that feel patrick is not going far enough?

If we - you and i want the sprint of independence and self reliance to be a guiding principle for texas we need to find those candidates who support that- its too bad that the current leaders what to spend our hard earned money on several liberal ideas and not following their Republican roots - i dont agree with alot they do too-

As obmma ( sic) said elections matter- we got what we got - as least we know wheres he headed - i dont hear anyone complain how obama pardon that killer for porto rico who killed American citizens - or commenting that traitors sentence who sold our our country last week - i would that have principled leadership than a wishy washy change with the wind former politicians we had in washingotn

no my family only goes back to 1843 who lived here - mostly in Sulpher Springs area 4 generations

have a great day - i know i will
You do NOT agree with the statement regarding live and let live or you wouldn't be wanting to keep "those people" out of Waco, now, would you? That is the opposite of live and let live - live and let live is that your neighbor can be of a different party, or sexual orientation, or religion, and all that matters to you is are they a good neighbor in the ways that REALLY count. Most of the time you don't even know most of that because it's none of your business. THAT is live and let live.

As for "your family", elsewhere you say you were born and raised in California and have never lived anywhere else and you don't even live here yet, having bought a house in Crawford (after considering Arizona) that you have rented out until March of 2018, at which time you will move here.

And yet you deign to tell native Texans what our state is like and should be like by your lights. Seems to me you're no different than liberal Californians who come here with the same attitude.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:56 PM

thank you and it did not say keep anyone out 2nd

next we are moving to waco for leave the liberal state of calif - and where we are outside waco is very conservative - thats what we are moving there- if it was like calif i would look elaswere

Arizona is very conservative where we were looking - but waco area is much more to our liking - and yes i would never move to are that was liberal - full of people that have the same principles - too bad you can't deal with that -

i do believe live and let live - but i chose an area thats meet my lifestyle and beliefs - and if that changes too- i will move again -thats what freedom is all about - you - me - others can live where we want - you just can accept the fact that there are others who like me have certain principles and beliefs - to that i say to you and all other liberal leaning - touchy feely too bad - ham going to change for you or anyone else -

i have been around liberals way too long and seen how they corrupt my life style - my way of life - and its my choice not to live among them anymore - i am proud of my beliefs and want to live among those who feel the same - we found that in the area we bought and are counting the days - dont expect a dinner invite either - hehe --

you are the one that can't accept that- you want me to change - you want me to accept lifer style i dont belive in - iam not asking you or anyone else to change their beliefs - and i certainly not going to stand by and allow you to belittle me, my family or my neighbors for what we believe in - its you who want to force your beliefs on me -

Old 01-22-2017, 09:56 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
Quote:
thank you and it did not say keep anyone out 2nd

next we are moving to waco for leave the liberal state of calif - and where we are outside waco is very conservative - thats what we are moving there- if it was like calif i would look elaswere

Arizona is very conservative where we were looking - but waco area is much more to our liking - and yes i would never move to are that was liberal - full of people that have the same principles - too bad you can't deal with that -

i do believe live and let live - but i chose an area thats meet my lifestyle and beliefs - and if that changes too- i will move again -thats what freedom is all about - you - me - others can live where we want - you just can accept the fact that there are others who like me have certain principles and beliefs - to that i say to you and all other liberal leaning - touchy feely too bad - ham going to change for you or anyone else -

i have been around liberals way too long and seen how they corrupt my life style - my way of life - and its my choice not to live among them anymore - i am proud of my beliefs and want to live among those who feel the same - we found that in the area we bought and are counting the days - dont expect a dinner invite either - hehe --

you are the one that can't accept that- you want me to change - you want me to accept lifer style i dont belive in - iam not asking you or anyone else to change their beliefs - and i certainly not going to stand by and allow you to belittle me, my family or my neighbors for what we believe in - its you who want to force your beliefs on me -
no one is belittling anyone it would just be easier to read your posts if you would use a cap or a period once in a while just sayin' -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas