Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 01:37 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
My children have exceptionally good manners and it didn't take any "whuppins" to accomplish it. There are plenty of good discipline practices that aren't physical.

That being said, I don't know how a lot of parents would teach good manners when they don't have any manners themselves. I am always appalled when I go to a public place where children are running wild and their parents are oblivious, sitting there surfing on their wireless Internet connections or talking on their cell phones. These parents seem to think that being in public means their parenting responsibilities are on hiatus, which is the opposite of the truth. Children should behave even better in public than in private because being around others means their actions are affecting other people.
See, the problem with that is you can't just say "Stop running!" or "Sit down!"; Because most likely, they won't listen. You have to get physical sometimes just to get your kids under control.

I remember once when I was in H.E.B with my 5 year old nephew and he threw a fit in line because I wouldn't buy him a toy so he started yelling and hitting, and all these people was looking at me like I was crazy or something. Sure, I tried telling him to calm down and stop acting up, but did he listen??? nope, that's when I hit him and he stopped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 01:52 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
See, the problem with that is you can't just say "Stop running!" or "Sit down!"; Because most likely, they won't listen. You have to get physical sometimes just to get your kids under control.

I remember once when I was in H.E.B with my 5 year old nephew and he threw a fit in line because I wouldn't buy him a toy so he started yelling and hitting, and all these people was looking at me like I was crazy or something. Sure, I tried telling him to calm down and stop acting up, but did he listen??? nope, that's when I hit him and he stopped.
So you were worried because people were looking at you? Who cares what people think? I've seen many a child get spanked in public and it didn't do any good, just made them scream all the more. Maybe with your nephew, the pain and fear tactic worked. With some, they might be so used to it, it only hurts their psyche, hence no need to cry in pain, only in frustration as if to scream, "Here we go again. That big adult is hitting me." How profoundly sad.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:49 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
My mother used to tell me, "Just wait until I get you home". That usually worked, because I didn't want to have to go 'pick a switch'! I recall also being sent out to the car to wait, but that was in a safer time (1950s). No parent with a working forebrain would do that now.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:53 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
My children have exceptionally good manners and it didn't take any "whuppins" to accomplish it. There are plenty of good discipline practices that aren't physical.

That being said, I don't know how a lot of parents would teach good manners when they don't have any manners themselves. I am always appalled when I go to a public place where children are running wild and their parents are oblivious, sitting there surfing on their wireless Internet connections or talking on their cell phones. These parents seem to think that being in public means their parenting responsibilities are on hiatus, which is the opposite of the truth. Children should behave even better in public than in private because being around others means their actions are affecting other people.
Bravo. My kid knows how to behave and we don't do "whuppins." Just because someone doesn't hit does not mean they don't discipline. We do.
I agree 100% about the parents who let their kids run wild in public, drives me up a wall. When my daughter was very small, if she could not control herself in a restaurant, for example, she was removed. Other patrons and the staff shouldn't have to put up with the "terrible twos", it's not their kid.
I'm not saying anything against people who spank, that's their choice (within reason), but I always feel like I need to speak up when it's assumed that not spanking equals not disciplining.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:55 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
I recall also being sent out to the car to wait, but that was in a safer time (1950s).>>

My parents did that in the 1970s. LOL. My little brother missed quite a few nice meals out sitting in the car!

Old 04-19-2009, 03:02 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:

I agree with a lot of this, for sure. Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that corporal punishment in schools or spankings at home are the magicial cure. What I AM saying is, it should be an option and lets proceed from the default presumption that parents have their child's best interest at heart and love them when they administer said dicipline.

It is a judgement call...and what works on one kid might not work on another. Sometimes a whuppin' will not work and might even have an affect opposite from what intended. Other times, however, it is the only thing that will work. Some spoilt brats just need a good woodshed trip to give an attitude adjustment which will benefit their whole lives....

But regardless, the law needs to be, as it is in Texas, to leave that call up to the parents!

Old 04-19-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
So you were worried because people were looking at you? Who cares what people think? I've seen many a child get spanked in public and it didn't do any good, just made them scream all the more. Maybe with your nephew, the pain and fear tactic worked. With some, they might be so used to it, it only hurts their psyche, hence no need to cry in pain, only in frustration as if to scream, "Here we go again. That big adult is hitting me." How profoundly sad.
Well how are people going to judge someones parenting skills when they actually decide to discipline (meaning whupping) their child if they act up in public and it wasn't about people staring at me, it was the fact that he wasn't listening and acting up. He acts up in public because his mom usually never discipline him while in public places.

Just like you said, the tactics you used on your kids won't work for other kids as well. It goes both ways.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:05 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,992 times
Quote:
I am not saying that good manners can only be obtained by "whuppins". My grandbaby does not get "whuppins". I am saying that I am glad she was raised with manners, in these times when so many children are raised without them. My kids were raised with manners and I can probably count on one hand how many times each of them got a belt. Which ever way discipline is chosen by the parent, should be left up to the parent. I just think that in these times, parents are too busy with their lives to take the time to properly discipline their children...physical or non physical, and that is why many of our young are out of control. And just because I have said "parents" plural, it does not mean every single parent. I know there are exceptions and those parents who do raise their children, properly, are to be applauded. Each child is different and it just may take a little more discipline for one child than it does for another. The main point is for the parent to ensure that the discipline is given, when appropriate, so that the child grows up to understand right from wrong and goes on to become a positive contributor to society.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:20 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well how are people going to judge someones parenting skills when they actually decide to discipline (meaning whupping) their child if they act up in public and it wasn't about people staring at me, it was the fact that he wasn't listening and acting up. He acts up in public because his mom usually never discipline him while in public places.

Just like you said, the tactics you used on your kids won't work for other kids as well. It goes both ways.
The red comment above kind of says it all. Who's fault is it that he acts up? His mom's, so why should pain be inflicted on the child?

It's kind of like a puppy I found on the highway last week. How she kept from getting run over is beyond me. I stopped my vehicle and put her in it and was about to take her home when I thought maybe the convenience store on the corner was from where she came. It turned out I was right. The cashier (pup owner) said she must have followed a kid out the door. Okay, I didn't see any kids walking across the busy highway. Anyway, I handed her this adorable canine who, by this time, was licking the face of the owner. The owner said, "Don't give me any of that. You're in trouble and that's not going to help you get out of it." I honestly wanted to choke the living daylights out of that fool woman.

Anyway, it's not the same really, but it kind of is. Put the blame where the blame lies; the blame usually needs to be claimed by an adult.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
The red comment above kind of says it all. Who's fault is it that he acts up? His mom's, so why should pain be inflicted on the child?

It's kind of like a puppy I found on the highway last week. How she kept from getting run over is beyond me. I stopped my vehicle and put her in it and was about to take her home when I thought maybe the convenience store on the corner was from where she came. It turned out I was right. The cashier (pup owner) said she must have followed a kid out the door. Okay, I didn't see any kids walking across the busy highway. Anyway, I handed her this adorable canine who, by this time, was licking the face of the owner. The owner said, "Don't give me any of that. You're in trouble and that's not going to help you get out of it." I honestly wanted to choke the living daylights out of that fool woman.

Anyway, it's not the same really, but it kind of is. Put the blame where the blame lies; the blame usually needs to be claimed by an adult.
She whupped him once in public and was arrested for child abuse. It's hard to discipline your child when your being watched by others and the fact that your telling them to settle down isn't helping much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas