Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:46 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times

Advertisements

I'll trust what Wikipedia says............

Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 07:58 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
My ancestors who fought at San Jacinto in 1836 to defend their nearby homes and families and who proudly watched Texas become a Republic before joining the United States in 1845 (good or bad idea?) would beg to differ with you on that "was settled largely after the War Between the States" thing, given that by the time of the War Between the States they and their friends, families, and neighbors had been in Texas for multiple generations and had given their blood to preserve it.
*smiles* I think you might be misunderstanding my point. What I am saying is that prior to the WBTS, a good part of Texas was unsettled frontier (roughly west of Ft. Worth or so). It was AFTER the war when the great migration and population boom occured (as defined in that era).

Anyway, the vast majority of settlers who originally came to Texas when it was a Mexican possession were from the Southern United States. I am betting your own family was. And afterwards, since we emerged relatively unscathed by the so-called "Civil War" Texas was the place where many from the southeast, seeking to get a new start, relocated.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I'll trust what Wikipedia says............

Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LOL I agree with you, CC. I modestly admit to having had some hand in writing/shaping that article and the maps.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:58 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I am betting your own family was.

Well, technically, some of them came from the Southern states, some (most) came THROUGH the Southern states, some on my husband's side came from the Southern states right around the time of the Trail of Tears, some came from Illinois - and some were here already when all the rest got here.

I'm not a member of any of them, but I qualify (aunts did the legwork and joined long, long ago) for the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, Daughters of the Confederacy, and Daughters of the American Revolution (the latter on the back of a conscripted horse ). Which means there was a lot of documentation to start with, and, then, I'm a researcher by nature and added to it (and corrected a fair amount, as well).

Most all of them came from England, Scotland, Ireland or Germany originally, or within one generation of getting here, though. ;-)

By the way - Happy Texas Independence Day!

Old 03-02-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm not a member of any of them, but I qualify (aunts did the legwork and joined long, long ago) for the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, Daughters of the Confederacy, and Daughters of the American Revolution (the latter on the back of a conscripted horse ). Which means there was a lot of documentation to start with, and, then, I'm a researcher by nature and added to it (and corrected a fair amount, as well).

Most all of them came from England, Scotland, Ireland or Germany originally, or within one generation of getting here, though. ;-)

By the way - Happy Texas Independence Day!
I am in the Sons of Confederate Veterans (SCV) but don't qualify for the Sons of the Texas Revolution because my own ancestors didn't come to Texas until after the WBTS (from Mississippi and Alabama, mostly).

Anyway, Happy Texas Independence Day back! I am kicking myself in the rear end for not having noted it first!

ALSO, March 2 is the date the Texas Ordinance of Secession took effect (when we joined the Confederacy) and Sam Houston's Birthday!

Old 03-02-2008, 09:35 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Well, clearly, in a great Austin (and Texan) tradition, it's PARTY TIME! (Any excuse for a fiesta!)

Old 03-02-2008, 09:45 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL I agree with you, CC. I modestly admit to having had some hand in writing/shaping that article and the maps.
Did you really?? Doesn't surprise me, though, with your knowledge of Texas and the rest of the South!

HAPPY TEXAS INDEPENDENCE DAY TO Y'ALL!!!

Old 03-02-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Did you really?? Doesn't surprise me, though, with your knowledge of Texas and the rest of the South!

HAPPY TEXAS INDEPENDENCE DAY TO Y'ALL!!!
Well thanks, hon ....and THIS just gave me an idea for another thread. Gimme a minute, y'all...

Old 03-02-2008, 03:27 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
Dang it, looks like you all wrecked my Southwest argument that I got so gung ho about over on the New Mexico board. Oh well. I was raised in Midland which is a desert very much like the SW and my mom's from Central Texas with a strong German background... so that explains my lack of connection to the South.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:25 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Texas is both in the S and SW, historically, climatically and demographically.

TexReb briefed us already on the history.

Climatically, the eastern 2/3rds of the state is "humid subtropical" which is typically Southern/Southeastern. (some areas are just more extreme than others) The rest is more arid Southwestern, perhaps even Midwestern in the Panhandle.

http://www.tufts.edu/med/informid/im...limate-500.gif

Demographically, the map (which I've linked in here before) will tell you what you're looking for. Parts of N, NW and E Texas are most Southern, while the rest is either German Texan or Southwestern.

It appears the Houston area in particular fuses everything Southern, Southwestern and Texan together. The area certainly has since early statehood.

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo...e/ancestry.gif

(Louisiana is an oddball here.)

Religion might also say something:

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo...rch_bodies.gif

Houston, SA and Austin are on the fringes of the bible Belt, mostly Catholic like the rest of the west. (But again, so is Louisiana.)

So to me, I would say if you drew a line from the easternmost extension of DFW and the Houston metros, everything east of that line essentially would be Southern. Everything in the western tip/rough ''triangle'' of west TX would be essentially Southwestern. Anything else in between fuses both Southern and Southwestern qualities, some areas more of one than the other.

More than anything, we should recognize that Texas is Texas. Catrinac, that would be the most accurate answer to your argument. There are plenty of online travel guides that have info about the midwest, south, southwest etc, but (rightly) put Texas, California and Florida into their own separate regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas