Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 08:47 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I will again state if there is a better barrier solution in certain areas of the border, then we should employ it and I think President Trump would be agreeable. It appears to me he is just trying to get the ball rolling on DOING SOMETHING instead of the usual lip service. He is, after all, a businessman and obviously quite good at it seeing the position he is in, so yes, I think he will be open to other avenues in the ongoing process. It's plain as the nose on your face he is trying to put a stop to the illegals pouring into our country and I thank him for it and I'm 100% behind him on it.
How do you feel about the fact that Donald Trump himself makes extensive use of undocumented immigrants at his resort properties? Why is he not using E-Verify? You don't think there's anything hypocritical about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 06:49 AM

716 posts, read 539,193 times
simple thats the general managers job not Trump who owns dozens for companies- just another thoughtless comment because you dont like Trump

why dont you ask Jeff Bezos or Musk the same question?

Old 02-18-2019, 07:00 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
I support the wall!

Old 02-18-2019, 08:13 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
simple thats the general managers job not Trump who owns dozens for companies- just another thoughtless comment because you dont like Trump

why dont you ask Jeff Bezos or Musk the same question?
Wouldn’t you expect Trump, as president and leader of the anti-immigration movement, to have strong policies in his own business to prevent the hiring of undocumented workers? Why not just require that all subsidiaries use e-verify? Seems pretty simple, doesn’t it? You are turning off any critical thinking skills you ever had because you are a Trump cult zombie.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:15 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Of course I realize they are coming in droves from Central America.

The way I understand your insight on the situation, there is basically not much we can do to stop them. Am I correct in this?

As to your statement " Most or all of Texas already has a barrier, the Rio Grande River", the point of a wall is the river does not act as a barrier in many places. Another quote from you "They are coming over in droves, they swim or come over in rafts, doesn't matter" proves this very fact.

I will say I am not aware of a law that requires BP to arrest an illegal immigrant. I'm not saying there is or isn't such a law, I just stated I am unaware of it.

I find it disheartening, to say the least, that some American citizens are so nonchalant about the illegal immigration problem, especially at this time when it is abundantly out of control and we have a President willing and wanting to resolve the problem. To shrug and act like there's nothing you can do about it in certain areas of the country so just keep on with doing nothing about it exhibits such a defeatist attitude it just makes me want to scream.

I'm also going to venture out and say the wanting to get caught and getting caught are two different things. If your scenario continues to be played out I'm going to take a wild guess here and say it too will be stopped. Even if there is such a law as you say, I would make a gamble the BP will than likely be instructed to turn a blind eye and keep it turned. Furthermore, if no one enforces that said law, who is going to make them enforce it?

As to transporting them back to their origins, I don't think so. Let them go back the same way they came. America needs to grow a backbone and start making examples of these criminals and yes, if they are trying to enter our country illegally, they are criminals for that one reason alone.

I will again state if there is a better barrier solution in certain areas of the border, then we should employ it and I think President Trump would be agreeable. It appears to me he is just trying to get the ball rolling on DOING SOMETHING instead of the usual lip service. He is, after all, a businessman and obviously quite good at it seeing the position he is in, so yes, I think he will be open to other avenues in the ongoing process. It's plain as the nose on your face he is trying to put a stop to the illegals pouring into our country and I thank him for it and I'm 100% behind him on it.
We are in a real "pickle" aren't we? This is why the problem is so complex and hard to solve. Ever heard of "catch and release"? It's still going on, by the way, you just don't hear about it. BP's hands are tied. They detain the "bad" guys but most are released on their own recognizance. Some are fitted with ankle bracelets. The reality is that things have to be done the legal way. You cannot return someone from Honduras to Mexico even though they came that way. It's not MY defeatest attitude, it's reality and the way things have been happening for quite a while. at least 10 years or more. Let me describe a scenario for you and I've actually seen this happen on a TV documentary about the border, I forget which one. A BP agent was at the river's edge waiting for a raft load of people to cross where he met them and apprehended them. He cannot go meet them in the middle of the river and force them back, he has to let them cross to the US side, where he detains them and takes them in to process. This will give you an idea on how things work. The wall or fence will not do a thing in this situation. Most of the time there is no agent waiting for the illegals to cross, they cross and start walking. We have air surveillance (aerostats) here and many times, we see them on radar before we see them in person. So, they will send agents to intercept and apprehend. They are already on US soil. Many areas already have a fence in my area at least. THIS is the reality, not some abstract idea. I want to hear it from you. What good would a wall do? and where do you propose the wall be?

Old 02-18-2019, 09:18 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Many support it, many can't stand the idea, and others refuse to participate in the discussion (disgustion).

There's no consensus.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:47 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
How do you feel about the fact that Donald Trump himself makes extensive use of undocumented immigrants at his resort properties? Why is he not using E-Verify? You don't think there's anything hypocritical about that?
E-verify isn't foolproof and so far every illegal that's been found to be working at a Trump property has used false documents in order to obtain work.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:59 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Wouldn’t you expect Trump, as president and leader of the anti-immigration movement, to have strong policies in his own business to prevent the hiring of undocumented workers? Why not just require that all subsidiaries use e-verify? Seems pretty simple, doesn’t it? You are turning off any critical thinking skills you ever had because you are a Trump cult zombie.
Why, so you people can accuse him and his businesses of discrimination? Do you really think people don't know your game by now?

Did they follow the law when hiring these people? Yes
Did they terminate these people when the truth was found out? Yes

Old 02-18-2019, 12:37 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
We are in a real "pickle" aren't we? This is why the problem is so complex and hard to solve. Ever heard of "catch and release"? It's still going on, by the way, you just don't hear about it. BP's hands are tied. They detain the "bad" guys but most are released on their own recognizance. Some are fitted with ankle bracelets. The reality is that things have to be done the legal way. You cannot return someone from Honduras to Mexico even though they came that way. It's not MY defeatest attitude, it's reality and the way things have been happening for quite a while. at least 10 years or more. Let me describe a scenario for you and I've actually seen this happen on a TV documentary about the border, I forget which one. A BP agent was at the river's edge waiting for a raft load of people to cross where he met them and apprehended them. He cannot go meet them in the middle of the river and force them back, he has to let them cross to the US side, where he detains them and takes them in to process. This will give you an idea on how things work. The wall or fence will not do a thing in this situation. Most of the time there is no agent waiting for the illegals to cross, they cross and start walking. We have air surveillance (aerostats) here and many times, we see them on radar before we see them in person. So, they will send agents to intercept and apprehend. They are already on US soil. Many areas already have a fence in my area at least. THIS is the reality, not some abstract idea. I want to hear it from you. What good would a wall do? and where do you propose the wall be?
I am aware of the catch and release.

IMHO the good the wall would do is this and I stated it already: once the immigrants cross the river they come to the next obstacle - the wall. We now ignore them. No one is sent to apprehend them. They are stuck between the river's edge and a hard place (wall). They can sit on the ground until they die, but the instinct for survival will kick in and they will turn around and go back if there is no alternative way to get inside the country. If you want to state again they are already in the country, feel free to do so.

I do not live on the border and even if I did it would not mean I was familiar with the entire southern border, so I cannot propose where the wall should be if you are actually asking how any feet/yards, etc. from the river's edge. That would have to be determined onsite.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:10 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
IMHO the good the wall would do is this and I stated it already: once the immigrants cross the river they come to the next obstacle - the wall. We now ignore them. No one is sent to apprehend them. They are stuck between the river's edge and a hard place (wall). They can sit on the ground until they die, but the instinct for survival will kick in and they will turn around and go back if there is no alternative way to get inside the country. If you want to state again they are already in the country, feel free to do so.
Well, at least you provided a real suggestion, more than most people here saying "I Support the Wall". It's great as an idea until you start to look at it in detail.

So, you think they are not in the country? Really?

So, just leave them there and they will go back on their own? That's a bit naive if you are serious about this. I Can guarantee you that will not happen! They will find a way over it, under it, use ropes a ladder whatever. Don't doubt these peoples' resolve. They traveled over 2000 miles to get here, do you honestly think they would just sit there and wait or go back.

FYI, there are gaps in the fence, it is not continuous. At least in our area, there are. They are trying to fix that as we speak but it will not be perfect, it never is.

The only real solution is to prevent them from coming in the first place. Make it better for them at home. You may say, their countries' problems are not our problem. Oh, but wait, I think it IS our problem or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

When you are talking about areas where there is a river, you cannot build it that close. There are logistical problems to consider, flooding etc.

Trump’s Border Wall Could Cause Deadly Flooding in Texas. Federal Officials Are Planning to Build It Anyway

Last edited by gguerra; 02-18-2019 at 01:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas