Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:57 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
New link as your link requires subscription: IDF uncovers Hamas tunnel stretching from Gaza into Israel - Arab-Israeli Conflict - Jerusalem Post

I strongly doubt the drug cartels is going to waste their money and time build a multi-million dollar tunnel of that sort. Also keep in mind that Hamas uses child labor to dig those tunnels. Mexicans will not give up their children as Palestinians do and have Martyr parades when they die. Also digging in compacted sand is much easier than digging in soil that has a moisture level.
Every years, various tunnels are discovered and closed. Seems it is lucrative enough to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 03:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Every years, various tunnels are discovered and closed. Seems it is lucrative enough to do.
This, exactly. Millions in order to make billions? Seems like a pretty decent ROI.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:12 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,982,848 times
Another Texan checking in. I am against the wall as are most of my liberal and conservative friends alike. It won't be good for the Texan economy in addition to a plethora of other reasons why it's unnecessary.

Last edited by LiveUrban; 01-29-2017 at 03:24 PM..

Old 01-29-2017, 09:52 PM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
New link as your link requires subscription: IDF uncovers Hamas tunnel stretching from Gaza into Israel - Arab-Israeli Conflict - Jerusalem Post

I strongly doubt the drug cartels is going to waste their money and time build a multi-million dollar tunnel of that sort. Also keep in mind that Hamas uses child labor to dig those tunnels. Mexicans will not give up their children as Palestinians do and have Martyr parades when they die. Also digging in compacted sand is much easier than digging in soil that has a moisture level.
You obviously didn't do your research before you posted.

Drug tunnel equipped with lights, ventilation discovered at US-Mexico border

I also found this interesting: Inside Seized Drug-Smuggling Submarine I wonder how Trump's wall will stop that.

I'll end my post with this fun fact from history: The Great Wall of China didn't stop the Mongol invasion.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:56 PM

998 posts, read 1,324,653 times
wasteful spending

Old 01-30-2017, 08:41 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times
Wasteful spending and plenty of Texans own land that crosses the border, so they would have to give up land to Mexico in order to build a totally secure border wall.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:55 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
You obviously didn't do your research before you posted.

Drug tunnel equipped with lights, ventilation discovered at US-Mexico border

I also found this interesting: Inside Seized Drug-Smuggling Submarine I wonder how Trump's wall will stop that.

I'll end my post with this fun fact from history: The Great Wall of China didn't stop the Mongol invasion.
No, I did. As stated in a similar thread to this one. The US would need to create a buffer zone upwards of two miles wide in addition to the barrier as the Egyptians did within the past few years to keep out the Palestinians. As to your submarine link, it may have worked fine in the rivers of Columbia back in 2009 but their design would have never worked in open sea (or did you not read your own link?). Barriers are a deterrence that dramatically cuts down the amount of incidents. None bring it down to "0". To be more effective the Posse Comitatus Act will need to be amended.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:35 PM

515 posts, read 557,827 times
I don't support the Wall... Nothing but a political ploy.

BTW, it won't do a damn thing to prevent the flow of drugs into the country. Does anyone really think that a drug lord with millions of dollars invested into his product, is going to stuff it into backpacks for poor Central Americans to carry around the checkpoints and just hope they don't get caught? The dope will continue to arrive in trucks/trains packaged in very creative and innovative ways. Drug dealers are very wealthy, and they spend lots of $ on pay-offs and insurances, not leaving their business to chance. People need to stop drinking the Trump kool-aide.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The border between Texas and Mexico is the Rio Grande. Don't expect any building to occur here.

Floating wall?,

doubt it.

ENTIRE wall is not gonna happen.

so get on with life (life happens and bigger fish to fry).

Some areas need better security,

We have the technology for security, but we would need LABOR to build a wall. (We do not have that, just a lot of 'flapping' from all players.)

The wind will die down (storms brewing elsewhere)

Certainly is a good time to evaluate immigration

There are LOTS of holes in the existing establishment.
Maybe they can uncover a BIG hole!

Old 01-31-2017, 01:02 AM

577 posts, read 512,098 times
A wall in dense urban areas is a great idea, and most of that is already in place. Some additional fencing in less dense populated cities/towns would be ok too. But the idea of a wall/fence in remote areas of the border is just foolish as there are plenty of ways to get over, through or under a fence. Electronic surveillance would be the best, least expensive option. A much better use of resources would be to spend some of that money to drastically cut into the U.S. drug addiction problem, and to legalize some drugs such as marijuana. Our country's demand for drugs has ravaged our neighbor to the south with crime and violence, but not too many people think about that. Also if you want to stop illegals coming here to work, then work to stop American's from hiring them....cut the demand out. It's always easy to point the finger at Mexico, but we would be wise to fix our issues that are causing the problem to begin with. I'm sick of the nasty political rhetoric about the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas