Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 05:15 PM

5 posts, read 15,284 times

Advertisements

My dad, now deceased, was born and raised outside Groveton. I would love to move there. I do need information on available jobs, rent costs, etc. I have always felt Groveton calling me home. My grandmother and her family all were born and lived in the same area. Much of my family must still be there. Can anyone direct me or help out? Thanks a bunch. Washington State is just too dreary, cold and well,,,,it just ain't Texas.

Regards,
~Candice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 06:19 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,319 times
I lived in Groveton as a child where my father worked for the county over in the rock building that housed the Library by the court house. I own land over on the way to Apple Springs in the once community of Helmic and my mother still has a home that sits off of main street that she rents out which is being rented at the moment. She is charging about 450 in rent a month the last time I talked to her.

The best jobs are going to be goverment or school jobs. That is what keeps people there, though many have moved away due to no opportunities if they can not work for the goverment or school. I also have known people to move away due to their children having special needs that the local school could not provide due to funding or for some who just did not like the politics and the paddling issues, which have been national even as of recently.

It is very pretty there, the politics of the place though is what has kept me away, too reminicent of The Dukes of Hazzard as well as a lack of opportunity and school choice.

A more progressive area to live would be Crockett.

I still to this day have several relatives around Groveton. Trinty county is where my father hails from too.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:42 PM

Default for Stargazer

Thanks for answering, Stargazer. I really would like to live and work in Groveton. I plan on going for a visit to my sister in Baytown in April and hope we can go to Groveton for a visit. Then I can scope out the job possibilites. Let me know if you hear of any jobs. I am a part time bookkeeper at present.

~Candice who misses Texas

Old 03-09-2008, 10:18 AM

17 posts, read 43,149 times
I get they impression you've never visited Groveton. There are no jobs there. "Dukes of Hazzard" is an accurate description.

Look into Lufkin, Texas. It's the nearest small city near Groveton.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:31 PM

Well, Tommy Jefferson, you spoke well. I have not visited Groveton since about 1970 I reckon but it cannot have changed much given the population count. I don't need a fancy job. Just one to pay for the roof and food if you get my drift. But I will look into Lufkin too. I really want to get back to a simple simple life. People have gotten lost in the fast pace of living today. Farm life can't be all bad. Hard work yes. Would love to have a least a rooster neighbor I can visit.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:17 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
A more progressive area to live would be Crockett.
So...ahem...this might be the first time "progressive" and "Crockett" have been used in the same sentence!

Old 10-13-2010, 11:27 AM

Question Hi Ya'll...I am back home in Baytown

But still looking to move to or near Groveton! How ya'll been? Stargazer? Mmmmm and lovin' the warmer weather down here...

~Candice

Old 10-14-2010, 09:03 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Have you been to Groveton yet? There's not much around there other than Lake Livingston.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,379 times
Hey Candice,

Re: GROVETON, TX

I went to school in Groveton in 9th and 10th grade. My mother was a court reporter at the beautiful courthouse there and I remember sometimes going up to her office at lunch and having a bottled DP and candy bar with her for lunch. Her name is Mary Ainsworth Johnson and she now lives with me. My grandfather was the Justice of the Peace, Earnest Lee Ainsworth. I miss him so much and wish he was around to answer so many of my questions. I remember sometimes going to the café in the square at lunch (we could leave campus at school and walk anywhere to lunch) and he would be with his courthouse buddies and ask me if I needed any coke money. My grandmother, Ruth Ainsworth, sweetest woman that ever lived, had a beauty shop out of her house and when my grandfather past away, she finished out his term as Justice of the Peace.

It is beautiful in Groveton and I think about the slower life and those gorgeous trees often. I have recently been in touch with a few people I knew from Trinity County through Facebook. Some are still there and some nearby. If you are interested I can probably get you some contacts. Remember, where there is a will there is a way! You could make yourself a free, quick and easy website that has all the programming done for you and set up search engine key words so that it would pop up first for anyone goggling this type of business. Include nearby town names, business and ranch services, etc in your key words. Heck, you might get so much business that you have to hire employees and grow the economy of Groveton. You might hire interns from the high school and provide great training for the students and promote a great service for the school system.

Since you are a bookkeeper (if I were you) I would contact the Groveton District Clerk, Cheryl Cartwright, P. O. Box 549, Groveton, TX 75845, Phone: 936-642-1118 FAX: 936-642-0002. Cheryl is an absolutely wonderful person in every way. Ask her if she can recommend contacts for you. Maybe ranchers that need someone to keep their books, attorneys, judges, etc. Cheryl and her husband also run the funeral home and have had a very successful life in Groveton. They know everyone there. Of course you will have to prove yourself trustworthy in order to gain clients. I am the kind of person that always gives everyone the benefit of the doubt because I love people with integrity and I am always so disappointed with people that prove to be untrustworthy. Where do you live now and when did your father live in Groveton. What did he do there and what other family do you have there?

I am related to the Ainsworth’s. My mother has many old photos from Groveton when she was a kid and some pictures of the old cafe in the square that her parents ran many years ago. When I lived there, I went there because my grandfather always went there for lunch. I never knew until recently that they had once run it. For some reason, my parents and grandparents never told me things that I really wish I knew now. I love history and would like to get into genealogy and make a video about my family and include pictures. I wish I had made my parents and grandparents tell me more stories and recorded them and taken pictures and made videos and documentaries. I would so love for myself and my kids to know more about my family.

Best of luck to you Candice and if you ever get the chance, let me know if you moved and how you like it.

Gina Hoyt Roberts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas