Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 04:02 PM

6 posts, read 19,572 times

Advertisements

UT is a major party school; then again the students absolutely deserve it after the hardwork they face day after day... Sure, we party hard, really, really hard... but we put our studies far above anything else. Explain why the PCL, which is one of the biggest libraries around, is jam packed day and night...even on weekend nights!

To say that UT is comparable to other "National" universities is often-times an insult, since in reality UT is recognized globally, as in around the world, for being one of the premier universities out there. It isn't Harvard, or Yale, or Oxford but the university isfully upper-crust in all aspects: research, professors, student body, etc. Our student body alone is simply fascinating. Everywhere you go you find a melting pot of nationalities composing UT: Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Iranian, Pakistani, Nigerian, Kenyan, French, Italian, German, Mexican, Argentinian, Colombian... (the list just goes on). Ourstudent body is extremely diverse and not as common-place as most other universities in the State of Texas. Diversity is key here.

Professors are top-notch, nationally-recognized, award-winning researchers who take full interest in their profession...and the passing of it to younger minds. UT professors teach there because they are some of the best individuals in their field of expertise. My business professor goes on CNN, MSNBC, NY Times many times; highly sought after by high power individuals...like the governor himself. To say that UT pays no care to their faculty is an absolute misconception; only the best teach at UT. Sure, many professors are higly biased, arrogant, and sometimes even grumpy but they are deeply passionate about whatever it is they teach.

In terms of the business school. Hah. What about it? McCombs is ranked in the Top 10 undergrad business schools in the nation... has the top Accounting program IN THE WORLD! It churns out nearly as many CEOs and billionaires to what Harvard and Stanford produce. McCombs Business Honors Program rivals that of UPenn's Wharton School... The BBA program is hands down TOP in the State of Texas. The MBA program needs some tweaking...but that is why you get your MBA from Harvard Business :]

UT has some of the top engineering, liberal arts, government, education, architecture, business, geology, health schools in the world...

"UT is facing its own major battle." The first day of class in one of my business classes, a very clever professor (Ivy Grad) stated his first remarks to his class: "UT is facing its own major battle. In the football, basketball, and baseball fields we compete against A&M, Baylor, Texas tech and others... In the classrooms however we are in direct competition with Harvard, Yale, and Stanford AND they recognize us as their rivals. The main battle: We are a public school; they are private. If this public school is this great, hell already furthering the research in the cure for cancer, then I can only imagine where we would be if we were a private institution. Damn, I welcome you all to the University of Texas at Austin; you all made a wise choice in choosing this fine institution; you will change the world!"

..hearing those words almost brought me to tears... I despised UT.. I aimed at UPenn and Yale. I soon fell in love with it.

And LBJ attended Texas State and played major leadership roles in the school news, and government but understand that his real "political" education was earned while he attended Georgetown University--thats the education that came in handy during his Presidential career.

Texas State is a great school. I respect it and its people. People should not compare such school to UT... since when do we compare University of Phoenix to Texas A&M??

Hook 'em!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,006 times
I graduated from Texas State University a few years ago with a BA in Mass Communications and I have been very successful in my career and I have been placed in positions over people who have graduated from other universities such as UT or A&M. I have seen a lot of posts saying that Texas State is only a party school, but I think that can go for many schools and it really depends on the individual and how they choose to utilize their time in school. Every HR respresentative or director will be different, but in my experience, I have not run across anyone who disregards resumes based on the university the candidate attended. Experience, knowledge and impression are what land jobs.

Last edited by lacey01; 01-13-2010 at 03:40 PM..

Old 06-29-2010, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggiegenes View Post
Going to Texas State is not going to get you anywhere. It will be an uphill battle just to get an interview with that on your resume.
It got one of the best fellowships available at one of the best universities in the nation (both overall and in my specific field) when I decided I wanted to earn a Ph.D. Guess that isn't much though.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:47 AM

867 posts, read 2,976,986 times
My key advice:

If you attend a school that you feel is inferior in terms of "prestige," hone your networking skills, get to know people, etc. in addition to maintaining an excellent GPA. I'm sure an extroverted TxSt grad. will be able to compete on a level comparable to many "average" UT grads. It's all who you know, not what you know, right? Especially in business anyway...

Also, bear in mind that at major "brand name" schools' professors are more concerned about their research than they do about their undergrads. A lot of people don't take this into account. My dad (who has a PhD in CS from U of H, an MS in math from Washington State and has taught at the college level in Wisconsin) considers TxSt a fine school for your undergrad for this reason. If you kick ass there for you BA/BS, you still have a decent chance at a first-tier grad. program.

Look at the bios of directors/execs. of local major firms. You'll be surprised at how many didn't attend "prestigious" schools.

There are a host of other factors that come into play besides where you went to school and the level of prestige of that school.

Also, stay close with your high school friends and continue to network with them. That's crucial, too.

I think Texas State is fine. It's not a first-tier D1 school, but it's far from a sh-thole.

Mid-major schools in Texas are the best-kept secret in terms of finding beautiful women and San Marcos is a gorgeous town. You're going to exercise those calves a bit, too.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 06-30-2010 at 01:13 AM..

Old 11-16-2010, 02:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,449 times
I actually transferred from Texas A & M to TXST. I lived in College Station for two years and let me tell you it is a colt and mostly everyone I knew was at spent a lot of time at northgate (the street of bars). I was in Mays business school, and one day I just said I couldn't do it anymore, it is a good school; however from what I saw, heard and experienced they or "we" felt like every other school was inferior. I was looking for places to transfer, and talked to a piper professor (top ten professor in Texas) at McCoy College at TXST, I came and toured the Business school and campus and was in love to say the least. I feel more apart of something here more than anything, in McCoy everything is very modern and the building was just finished in 2006 after spending over 20 million.

The only thing I was missing from A & M was northgate and football, however, now TXST is moving to the WAC Conference, and the stadium is doubling in size, will also have gorgeous box offices and suites all the way around. Currently one side is finished and the suites are amazing! Texas State is going no where but up.

I also enjoy working out, and A & M's rec center was overcrowded out dated and unsanitary. I go in TX State's rec center and use my fingerprint to get in, and it's the nicest facility I have ever been in. The dorm I lived in at A & M was disgusting, and the dorms here are almost all new and very nice. We are the only school from Texas that was a President. (LBJ).

You can call the school whatever you want, I got into A & M and wanted to be an Aggie so bad, but in my opinion the school has hit a plateau. Texas State is striving to create a better school for students in every way possible. Not to mention, wanna see how nice our campus is, just watch the "Friday Night Lights show" it is all filmed at Texas State. Elvis has performed at our school, I saw Randy Rogers (alumni) perform on campus a few weeks ago, and not to mention George Strait is alumni here.

I'm very happy with McCoy College of Business here and the Entrepreneur program here is awesome! Last week in class, the founder of Whole Foods spoke in our classroom. That will tell you something about our school, campus and environment here.

If you are a potential student, come to Bobcat days and also look at other Texas schools, and make your decision. I made the mistake of choosing A & M first, and I got here as fast as I could, regardless of A & M's reputation. I saw it as a colt and when i stood up and said stop putting down other TX schools, I got my ass beat by multiple fellow drunk aggies, etc. That's when I said, this isn't for me. I left that colt there in CS aka (blackhole).

However, I respect every Texas public school and I will root for TXST, A & M, UT, Tech. And yes by the way it is TXST. TSU- is Texas Southern University which is in no way to be confused with Texas State University. If you are hesitant, come to Texas State University and you won't be disappointed. We are the rising star of Texas! Our school is only going up, do you think that all the other Texas schools weren't fighting for the Texas State University name? UNT, UH, Sam Houston and many other schools were fighting for our name. We received it for a reason! By the way A & M was much less challenging than here, while I was at TAMU my gpa was around a 3.7, transferred here and it was much more challenging, I'm now at a 3.2 overall.

And for your fellow Aggie colt, that beat up another fellow Aggie. I will hire a bobcat over an Aggie any day once my business is started. "Bobcat's hire competent bobcats!" You can have northgate and the chicken, I will be floating the river and looking into the beautiful hill country. While visiting Austin, San Antonio and the four rivers close by.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,654 times
Sorry if this has been asked.
Do any of y'all have an opinion on Texas State's geography department (water studies in particular). I know that it is the largest in the US, but what about it's quality?

Old 05-03-2011, 09:07 PM

194 posts, read 524,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
Texas State - formerly Southwest Texas University. Known party school.

I work for a very large corporation, and when we were interviewing last year for about 8 college hire positions, we sifted through about 150 resumes'. We did NOT call in one Texas State candidate (not my call, management's instructions). We interviewed people from out of state, UT, A&M, Tech, Baylor, Rice, etc. Texas State, Sam Houston, etc got thrown in the trash. (again, not my call, management just didn't consider those schools).
Does your corporation consider TCU graduates?

This post came as a shock to me as I am a business major at TCU. When I was applying for colleges, I basically narrowed it down to either A&M or TCU. National rankings indicated that TCU had a better business school, so I chose TCU. This year, TCU's business school was ranked 29th in the nation by Businessweek. However, I'm curious to see how corporations view TCU graduates. Are we completely disregarded?

I had no idea corporations practiced this. That doesn't seem fair at all. A student's success is not contingent on the institution he or she attended nor does that institution define the individual student. Oh well, I guess it's true when people say that life isn't fair.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:18 AM

611 posts, read 2,234,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmarksalot View Post
Sorry if this has been asked.
Do any of y'all have an opinion on Texas State's geography department (water studies in particular). I know that it is the largest in the US, but what about it's quality?
the geography program at TxState is considered one of the top programs in the USA

they also have a strong aquatics program in biology as well and they have the San Marcos River to work with and an Edwards Aquifer research center as well not to mention all the other water systems in the area....so you would be in a respected department and you would possibly have some collaboration with another strong department as well and some nice facilities to work with

Geography and Aquatics are probably two of the top programs at TxState and they are respected in Texas and outside of Texas

Old 05-04-2011, 11:21 AM

91 posts, read 152,368 times
Quote:
We actually interviewed someone from North Texas. They were a decent candidate, but did not get an offer. I had to go back and review all my notes to find one.

We had a surprising number of applicants from Arkansas and Arkansas State. My notes indicate most were pretty good, but none got offers.

We also "threw away" all the ITT Tech, Devry, and University of Pheonix online folks, but I think that might be corporate policy rather than instructions just from our particular management.

All the UTxx schools are usually OK, UTA, UTEP, UTSA, etc.

I also personally know at least two people that graduated from UNT and have good jobs.

What an idiot!

Old 05-04-2011, 11:28 AM

27 posts, read 23,485 times
Quote:
Texas State - formerly Southwest Texas University. Known party school.

I work for a very large corporation, and when we were interviewing last year for about 8 college hire positions, we sifted through about 150 resumes'. We did NOT call in one Texas State candidate (not my call, management's instructions). We interviewed people from out of state, UT, A&M, Tech, Baylor, Rice, etc. Texas State, Sam Houston, etc got thrown in the trash. (again, not my call, management just didn't consider those schools).

Sure you do! Price check on isle 3 please! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas