Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:32 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,096,848 times

Advertisements

From the schools you listed, I would think UT-Dallas is your best bet. I would guess they are somewhat similar academically, although the Tech name recognition might be a boost. However, UTD has a very favorable location to an area with a strong business climate. When I worked in Dallas, employers often looked to hire from UTD...also a great opportunity to get internships for which you don't have to move (you're already living in town for school and you can work on the side). Remember business is very much about connections.
In a perfect world, your best bet for business schools in TX would be something like:
UT, Rice, and maybe SMU as the top group
Baylor, A&M, and maybe TCU as the second group
UTA, UTD, Tech, third group
The rest - fourth group
Just my opinion, but that would be the heirarchy of "clout" on a resume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 11:12 PM

808 posts, read 3,635,691 times
John Shaft, Rice does not have undergraduate business. The best schools for undergraduate business in the state are UT (#10 in the country according to BusinessWeek) and SMU (#23 in the country according to BusinessWeek).

The second group is fronted by TCU, with A&M and Baylor not far behind. UTD and Tech are working toward becoming on par with these programs...they are beginning to leave UTA behind.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:14 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,096,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
John Shaft, Rice does not have undergraduate business.
Really?!?!? Well, I'll be a red-headed-stepchild's uncle!

Well, my overall off-the-cuff rankings weren't too far off Business Week. So that somewhat implies that a common perception exists of these schools' relative reputations.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:44 PM

Exactly...where there is smoke, there is usually fire!

Old 03-08-2008, 01:34 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,272,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
Really?!?!? Well, I'll be a red-headed-stepchild's uncle!

Well, my overall off-the-cuff rankings weren't too far off Business Week. So that somewhat implies that a common perception exists of these schools' relative reputations.
Thats not what is says in my 'ultimate college' guide from US news... Its for undergrads...are you sure???

Old 03-09-2008, 03:09 PM

At the undergrad level, Rice offers programs in Economics and "Managerial Studies," both as part of the school of social science. To give you an idea of what Managerial Studies entails, check out this link: Rice - Managerial Studies Programs
That is the closest Rice offers to a business education at the undergraduate level. Their business school, the Jesse H. Jones School of Management, does not offer bachelor's degree programs.

I am not trying to downplay Rice's programs in Economics or Managerial Studies, but economics is not business and as the Managerial Studies page notes, "Managerial studies is not the equivalent of an undergraduate business major at other universities."

Old 04-27-2008, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 11,186 times
Default TxState Business School

All the negative energy about TxState is really depressing!

I spent 4 years at TxState (2003-2007) and may I say those were the BEST 4 years of my life. I was offered grant money and acceptance to the TxTech Business School out of high school but decided to attend Texas State instead w/ the intention of transferring. After my first year, I fell in love. The student body is great! There are 30,000 people at that school, but you will walk in the quad and know EVERYONE. The rivers are close by for summer floating, along with Austin for 4th -6th street bar scene, and San Antonio right down the highway as well.

TxState just built brand new facilities for the business school. $20 million dollar facilities with a computer lab special for finance students for stocks. I graduated with a BBA in Marketing last May and now I am a law student in Georgia. I was part of SIFE (students in free enterprise) which is a great org. to be apart of when looking for a job. Vicki West does a great job of helping with resumes and cover letters. The professors are all amazing and VERY helpful. You will receive a first class education (as it is more difficult and competitive to get into the TxState business school than Tech).

San Marcos is nice and has PLENTY of suitable housing, that is clean, brand new and ONLY for students. (no families, creepy old single people, etc.). The music scene in San Marcos has bred bands such as Blue October, Randy Rogerd Band, and Honeybrowne.

BY THE WAY - the UT business school is almost IMPOSSIBLE to get into unless you are at the top of your class. And it is my experience that you do not need to be in the top 2% to succeed in life. I have worked for two Congressmen and am now in law school and I have NEVER been in the top 10% of my class. I will agree that a UT degree opens many doors, but a TxState grad can put a foot in and grab the desired job if they work for it. I do not know much aout A&M's business school, but I do know that A&M is primarily AG. Not the place to go if you want business. (I would venture to say that you can get the 2nd best PUBLIC business education at TxState behind UT)

I am VERY sorry to hear that corporations are THROWING out resumes SOLELY due to the school they attend. Just b/c TxState may have a reputation does NOT mean that its graduates are incompetent or LESS valuable than other TX school graduates. That is very poor management on the part of the company. Companies should hire on the merits of the student, not the university. George Strait and Pres. LBJ are TxState graduates, with whom I am proud to share an Alma Mater.

Now that I have spoken my piece, I would recommend TxState to any person who is interested. It was the best four years of my live and would give anything to go back. Please do not listen to the negative advice you receive. Visit the school and see for yourself, if you feel that you do not fit in, then fine. HOWEVER, give it a chance.

- I hope you find this helpful.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:58 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,132,714 times
Back in the 60's, when I attended UNT (Then North Texas State University), Playboy did an article on the girls of North Texas. We suddenly got an unearned reputation as a party school. Let me tell you, I never saw or attended the parties, and the folks that did generally did not graduate. So, look at the graduates, not the party goers.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:31 PM

299 posts, read 1,013,131 times
Going to Texas State is not going to get you anywhere. It will be an uphill battle just to get an interview with that on your resume.

Of the schools you listed i'd probably go to UT dallas first, and then probably Tech. But to be honest, if those are your best options, I'd take a year off and study hard and retake the GMAT and possibly work somewhere for some more experience. Business can often be such a good ole boy situation that none of those schools will carry the name recognition with it to get you in the door of the best employers. Even if those schools provide a quality education, for good or bad, the name is more important in some situations.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:08 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 942,529 times
It is quite unfortunate that Texas State still carries the party school image. It has not been this way in a long time and I doubt it will ever return to anything close to what it once was. The stories of nickel night at the bars on the square were already a decade old when I heard them.

That being said, Texas State has been rapidly growing and they have also been ratcheting up admission requirements over the years. You currently have to have a 920 SAT and be in the top quarter of your class to be admitted. This compares reasonably well to UT's 1020 SAT requirement.

I attended when it was still SWT. Even in the early 90s, if you went to party you were gone after a couple of semesters. I earned my undergrad and masters in CS here, so I know quite a few people with CS, CIS and accounting degrees. I don't know of anyone with a SWT/Texas State degree that has ever had a problem getting interviews or finding a good job.

If your company is tossing out Texas State resumes, they are overlooking some very qualified and talented individuals.

Last edited by cwh; 04-28-2008 at 06:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas