Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 04:06 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,133,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTx View Post
Depending on your need to live in close proximity to a major city, you should definitely consider Texas Tech. Twenty years ago, we weren't regarded much higher academically than TSU-SM (formerly SWT.) Which, BTW is the very definition of a party school.

In recent years the little 'ol school out in West Texas has done very well for itself despite not having the resources of the earlier established land grant schools UT and A&M. Not having having access to the Public University Fund, or PUF has made becoming a top tier University difficult, but we are moving towards that goal very quickly. The value of a degree from Tech continues to rise every year, as our chancellor has the stated goal of becoming a top tier flagship university with 40,000 students (main campus) within the next 15 years. Tech's current enrollment is just under 30,000, despite being somewhat isolated in Lubbock. TTU offers excellent programs in engineering, business, agriculture, law, medical along with many others.

I think you will also gain a very unique college experience attending Tech as opposed to a commuter school like UTD or party school like TSU. Although, I guarantee you would have an excellent time at TSU. You wouldn't have much in terms of a degree or a bond with fellow alums, but you would very much enjoy the San Marcos river. (Had I attended TSU, I'm sure I would've been on the river every weekend.)

Lubbock can be a bit of a shock to some people. It is 4 1/2 hours to Fort Worth, 6 to Austin and San Antonio, and 8 1/2 hours to Houston. It's a decent sized town, 200,000 plus with most urban conveniences less a major professional sports franchise and theme park, (like Six Flags.) The area is extremely flat, farms cover most of the surrounding area. Winters are colder, and summers are actually quite pleasant in the evenings. It's a very clean, nice city, but it's not for everyone. But, with most Tech students, it's a nice change at least for the time they're away at college.

Being a proud Red Raider, I can recommend no other school than Texas Tech. It is a great experience where you will develop a close bond with fellow Techsans and it's a good school where you earn a degree that matters after graduation.
I think Tech is a great school, but I am going to have to be the turd in the punchbowl. Tech is currently on probations with SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.) I expect the probation will be removed soon as Tech has always taken care of problems. Do you know the current status of the academic probation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 04:07 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,133,105 times
Make that "on probation." My typing and my mind don't operate very well these days.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:16 PM

63 posts, read 283,740 times
Arggh! You certainly dropped a turd in the punchbowl! I get POd every time I hear about this, because it could have been easily avoided.

Basically, it was a paper work foul up. The SACS board warned Tech administrators on two seperate occasions to take care of their filings before the probation was handed down. It has nothing to do with academic standards. The University president was asked to resign over this, (although they say he stepped down for other reasons.) Next year, the board will verify that Tech administrators have met their responsibilities and take us off of probation.

In comparison, a similar situation happened to UT-Austin in 1999. It's not all that uncommon, but as an alum I was infuriated when this news was passed down.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:18 PM

4 posts, read 31,023 times
Pontificator, It is a beautiful campus! You will find a lot of the students out by the river everyday - and a lot of them are studying out there. If your son has high standards he will succeed wherever he chooses to go. You don't have to be involved in the excessive drinking and drugs that goes on everywhere.

And as far as job opportunities, my daughter is working on her Masters in Criminal Justice. She has already been offered and interviewing for jobs with very reputable organizations. So not everybody is overlooking TX State grads.

Also, I would highly recommend looking into the "Residential College". That is where they enroll your basic classes with the students that are in the same dorm/floor. TX State also requires that you live in a dorm until you have at least 52 hours or so. Dorm life is a very underrated thing in my opinion. It is usually a very positive thing.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:20 PM

556 posts, read 1,556,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I think Tech is a great school, but I am going to have to be the turd in the punchbowl. Tech is currently on probations with SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.) I expect the probation will be removed soon as Tech has always taken care of problems. Do you know the current status of the academic probation?
Gee, JamesAbilene, I always appreciate your comments and observations, and you have described the apparent Tech situation with Texas flair!! I've always had a good opinion of Tech, but yeesh, that's some scary info. No worries for us, my son has not put this school on his radar.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:30 PM

556 posts, read 1,556,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icjerk View Post
Pontificator, It is a beautiful campus! You will find a lot of the students out by the river everyday - and a lot of them are studying out there. If your son has high standards he will succeed wherever he chooses to go. You don't have to be involved in the excessive drinking and drugs that goes on everywhere.

And as far as job opportunities, my daughter is working on her Masters in Criminal Justice. She has already been offered and interviewing for jobs with very reputable organizations. So not everybody is overlooking TX State grads.

Also, I would highly recommend looking into the "Residential College". That is where they enroll your basic classes with the students that are in the same dorm/floor. TX State also requires that you live in a dorm until you have at least 52 hours or so. Dorm life is a very underrated thing in my opinion. It is usually a very positive thing.
Thanks again, ic!! We did look into the Residential College -- great idea, but the Biology program is not included. We just really liked the feel of the place -- and have visited numerous campuses over the years. My son is very focused, a seeker of knowledge.....and well, he can't wait to start a band during college!! But he is a very serious student! Congrats to your daughter, and gee, she's in a career path that "unfortunately" should never have layoffs!!

Old 05-02-2008, 07:14 PM

384 posts, read 1,575,337 times
I know less about TXState than many of you, but my brother started work there this semester, and I'm very impressed with the facilities in his department (engineering).

I think people sometimes put too much weight in the "US News" type reports.
If you want to learn, chances are that you can learn at Texas State or anywhere else. Frankly, the Austin-San Antonio corridor is the only part of Texas where I'd seriously consider living.

One of my distant relatives earned his undergraduate degree in San Marcos, but went on to earn a PhD at Yale, so I guess his decision to attend the "party school" didn't hurt him too bad ?

Old 05-03-2008, 12:00 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,547,634 times
as the poster said--it is possible to get a good education at many "un-recognized" colleges if a student wants to--and TSU does have some excellent programs and a lovely campus
we grew up in that area and it is growing like kudzu--the university as well--
and there are plenty of party students at Yale--I think our Prez was one of them...

Old 05-06-2008, 01:40 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,293,957 times
I am a graduate of Texas State University in 4 years. The best years of my life, Yes I have partied a lot and went to a lot of events. But what I learned at Texas State is how to work with others with student organizations and great professors who know how to relate to students. I dont understand why employers are not looking at TX state, if you can party and handle the load of 15 hours a semester, guess what your able to manage yourself. Most people who come from TX State are hardworking, laidback, and honest people. I take offense to all employers who don't hire T-State Alumnus, because your missing out on great people in the longrun. EAT EM UP CATS!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 03:04 PM

238 posts, read 764,425 times
San Marcos is great, and TSU has a fine campus. I never went there, but had friends that did. The school just needs to search for its own identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas