Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 03:31 PM

4 posts, read 12,006 times

Advertisements

If you have a form showing you have passed your cdl and your waiting on the hard copy. Can you go back to your state and show that piece of paper and get your CDL transferred?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 09:46 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,270,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonya H View Post
If you have a form showing you have passed your cdl and your waiting on the hard copy. Can you go back to your state and show that piece of paper and get your CDL transferred?
I'm not sure and would suggest contacting the DPS of the state in question.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:45 PM

3 posts, read 8,210 times
Ignorant here...what is a CDL? Just looking for work for my husband.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODhelpUS! View Post
Ignorant here...what is a CDL? Just looking for work for my husband.
Commercial Drivers License.

You need one anytime you haul 26,001lbs or more for commercial use. You will generally hear the term endorsements that generally proceeds CDL. These are small extra test that you take once you get your CDL. Examples are Tanker and Hazmat. Tanker endorsements allow you to driver a tanker, like a Semi water or milk tanker trailer. Hazmat stands or hazardous material which includes fuel, crude oil, acid, etc etc. A combination of CDL w/Tanker and Hazmat endorsement is required to haul Crude oil or Fuel.

You also have levels of CDL: Class A, Class B, and Class C. Class A is king being able to haul 80,000lbs including tractor ( your typical 18 wheeler set up). Class B is small tractor set ups like Dump trucks, bobtail tankers, garbage trucks etc. Class C is even smaller loads. You have to test in th appropriate Class vehicle for the Class license you're looking to gain. Example, if you want a Class A license, you need to b abl to test in a Class A vehicle. This doesn't nesseserly men an 18 wheel semi tractor. You can use a 1 ton truck and a 40' trailor. Now one thing though, if you plan on driving something with air breaks such as a semi tractor, you will need to test in something with air breaks.

I would suggest getting doing the air breaks as well as testing in a vehicle with a manual trasmission. This gives you better opertunities for work meaning you're qualitified fo mot any commercial vehicle. Now some oilfield companies as well as Over the Road companies will help you get a CDL. So this could be. Good avenue for those people that lack the cash for CDL school.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:37 PM

143 posts, read 320,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonya H View Post
I want to say "Yes" but I believe someone else can answer it.

A lot of people come to take the CDL test in Texas because our state isn't strict as other states. I think they are also tested on mechanical parts of the vehicle in other states.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:14 PM

FYI: A person with a Class A license can drive a Class B & Class C vehicle but a Class B & Class C license can't drive a Class A vehicle.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:54 AM

98 posts, read 341,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvbtx View Post
I want to say "Yes" but I believe someone else can answer it.

A lot of people come to take the CDL test in Texas because our state isn't strict as other states. I think they are also tested on mechanical parts of the vehicle in other states.
You dont have to pre-trip in Texas? Cola in cab then break down all parts of the tractor trailor? here in cali yeah we have to do it all

Old 05-07-2012, 03:52 PM

143 posts, read 320,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headed2northdakota View Post
You dont have to pre-trip in Texas? Cola in cab then break down all parts of the tractor trailor? here in cali yeah we have to do it all
No. You have to do it all. What I'm trying to say is when testing for a CDL, I took the written test, got the permit. Then did the driving test, got the CDL. We didn't have to memorize any automotive components of the vehicle. I'm a car guy, was diesel mechanic in the military, so if I was asked about it, I wouldn't have any problems answering those type of questions. Not everyone know or care much about cars in general is what I'm saying but at the same time we are considered "professional drivers". I've been a resident of TX pretty much all my life, if I'm wrong, correct me.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvbtx View Post
No. You have to do it all. What I'm trying to say is when testing for a CDL, I took the written test, got the permit. Then did the driving test, got the CDL. We didn't have to memorize any automotive components of the vehicle. I'm a car guy, was diesel mechanic in the military, so if I was asked about it, I wouldn't have any problems answering those type of questions. Not everyone know or care much about cars in general is what I'm saying but at the same time we are considered "professional drivers". I've been a resident of TX pretty much all my life, if I'm wrong, correct me.
Yes and no,

All I had to do was take a road test but a lot of the pre-trip stuff was on the required computer test like the Permit Test, General Test, and Air Break test. You will also run across a mics reated tractor component on the endorsement test like Hazmat, Tanker, and Doubls/Tripples. So although you only have to do a road test to receive your CDL, a person should still know the main points to a pre-trip...plus know that apron is another term for skid plate...kept getting that one wrong lol Also, brush up on your Taxi and School Bus section of the study book. They had a couple related questions on the General tet for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas