Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 12:06 PM

10 posts, read 11,407 times

Advertisements

Mornin',

My family and I (wife, high school junior, 7th grader) are thinking of leaving Northern California - cost of living is the main economic reason, but also feel God's preparing us for a move as we've felt this stirring before (we grew up in the Bay Area and left 20+ years ago at God's prompting). Arizona and Texas have struck a cord with my wife and I and we're researching as we're looking at a possible post-2018 school year move (unless God opens doors asap - which is fine). I teach high school (18 years) and she's worked for our local school district in clerical the past few years.

We are Christians, but not stick-up-your butt ultra conservative like. For example, I'm going to listen to my worship music (Chris Tomlin, Newsboys, etc.), but I also will go see U2 and Metallica in concert. I love the Lord but want to wear t-shirt/shorts in warm weather and untuck my shirt (if wearing pants) when going to church. How's this jive w/Tyer? I only ask as I hear it's conservative, but I'm wondering how conservative? Would Tyler be a good fit?

Would another area - Waco? We only know Waco based on Fixer Upper and know that tends to romanticize things. Still, the size and central location of Waco seems a fit as we like to visit bigger cities, but then retreat home to a smaller location. Our current NorCal city has 100-130K people give or take (we live 7 mi. outside of it), so that's the size we'd prefer (or a suburb of a 100-200k city). It gets over 100 here about 30-40 days a year - dry heat, so we're used to heat - though not humidity heat.

All thoughts/comments appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 12:16 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Before you uproot your family and move to Waco based on Fixer Upper, take a trip to the city (preferably in July or August so you an get a taste of the heat and humidity). Waco's not exactly charming and quaint. Putting it diplomatically, it's very rough around the edges. There's a reason why the TV show always seems to feature dirt cheap, rundown houses.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:51 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Ditto to the above post. Waco looks a whole lot better on TV than it does in person.

Do give Tyler a look. I'd rather live there than in Waco any day!

Old 03-05-2017, 02:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeWave View Post
Mornin',

My family and I (wife, high school junior, 7th grader) are thinking of leaving Northern California - cost of living is the main economic reason, but also feel God's preparing us for a move as we've felt this stirring before (we grew up in the Bay Area and left 20+ years ago at God's prompting). Arizona and Texas have struck a cord with my wife and I and we're researching as we're looking at a possible post-2018 school year move (unless God opens doors asap - which is fine). I teach high school (18 years) and she's worked for our local school district in clerical the past few years.

We are Christians, but not stick-up-your butt ultra conservative like. For example, I'm going to listen to my worship music (Chris Tomlin, Newsboys, etc.), but I also will go see U2 and Metallica in concert. I love the Lord but want to wear t-shirt/shorts in warm weather and untuck my shirt (if wearing pants) when going to church. How's this jive w/Tyer? I only ask as I hear it's conservative, but I'm wondering how conservative? Would Tyler be a good fit?

Would another area - Waco? We only know Waco based on Fixer Upper and know that tends to romanticize things. Still, the size and central location of Waco seems a fit as we like to visit bigger cities, but then retreat home to a smaller location. Our current NorCal city has 100-130K people give or take (we live 7 mi. outside of it), so that's the size we'd prefer (or a suburb of a 100-200k city). It gets over 100 here about 30-40 days a year - dry heat, so we're used to heat - though not humidity heat.

Thanks in advance!
First of all, your lifestyle sounds very normal and well within the "accepted range" of life in Tyler! By the way, I also like Chris Tomlin, and U2. And I even have a T shirt that says "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" on it and it's one of my favorite shirts. Oh, along with the one that says "Uranus, Missouri - Everything You Need Is In Uranus." (Uranus MO is a real place by the way! LOL)

Lots of very casual churches here in Tyler. You would fit in great with ours by the way.

Don't base your options on Waco from Fixer Upper. I mean, I love that show but there's a reason I live in Tyler rather than Waco and I could live literally anywhere I want in the US and in Texas.

Not to say that Waco doesn't have some nice things about it, but I much prefer Tyler. And we don't have a show on HGTV! LOL

I live just outside of Tyler in one of the many bedroom communities that make up the Tyler MSA (which has a population of about 250k). Dallas is an hour and a half away. I like that - close but not too close. Meanwhile, Tyler has many, many amenities and I literally NEVER "have" to go to Dallas, though we go probably once a quarter (not counting occasional trips to the airport) just because we can.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:27 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,562,426 times
As someone who lived in Waco for 4 years.. like others have said (and even you acknowledged the over romanticism from the show), dont base your views of Waco entirely on Fixer Upper. It may be an unpopular opinion, but I like the grittiness of the city. It gives it character IMO, which cookie cutter/clean cities tend to lack, causing them to feel soulless and bland. There was also a surprisingly decent bit of outdoor recreational activities around. Cameron Park has some fantastic mountain biking and hiking opportunities. Lake Waco is nice for a day on the water, fishing, boating/jet skiing/whatever water recreational activities you prefer. This fantastic cable park (boat-less wake boarding) opened during my last years in town, and instantly became one of my favorite things to do <https://www.bsrcablepark.com>. It was voted best cable park in the nation not long after it opened, and now they have stuff like huge water slides (you may have seen a viral video of these a year or two back), a lazy river, and are currently building a surf park which is planned to be finished this summer.
I liked how although Waco had a bigger city feel, they still managed to retain some of that small town charm. I think the highway/road infrastructure plays a part in the big city feel.. The interstate, wide one-way street grid around downtown, the four stack interchange, etc. And the small town feel probably had a bit to do with the regular community activities, along with the main focus of Baylor. Baylor is to Waco like a big high school is to a small town (think Friday Night Lights type of thing, if you're not familiar with community participation in sporting events, Football especially, in Texas). Game Days are a big deal, and the whole city seems to get behind the efforts, showing their support.

Anyways, I would definitely try to do a lot more research on Waco, besides just watching Fixer Upper, if you are serious about moving there. Its definitely not for everyone..
I cant really comment on living in Tyler, as I have no long term experience with the city, but I've heard nothing but great things. It would probably be a little too slow paced/conservative for my liking, but the city itself seems nice, and they have their fair share of events and local attractions.

Edit: I just noticed y'all work for schools. Waco ISD isn't very good, but some of the suburban districts tend to be decent, so thats another thing definitely worth considering/looking into.

Last edited by TexasTallest; 03-05-2017 at 03:36 PM..

Old 03-05-2017, 03:40 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,168 times
Tyler>>>>>>>>>Waco

Old 03-05-2017, 07:23 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
What is your budget for housing,OP?Tyler and Waco will be both be humid.I prefer Waco over Tyler.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:58 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,081,697 times
You gotta' visit Tyler. My pick, can live most anyplace, no family connections, but for Texas, Tyler is for me. City size, and for what it has to offer. You've looked over the Tyler sub-forum?

Again, Tyler is NOT utopia, lol, NOT a party city, but WILL NOT 'thump" you over the head with a Bible, as some would lead you to believe, but as I've said, before, Heaven forbid, they just might invite you to their church. lol

Old 03-06-2017, 06:33 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeWave View Post
Mornin',

Thanks in advance!
Not sure why Tyler & Waco would be at the top of the list.

What is your Budget ??

Do you have a job lined up?

Given your descriptions & desires above. I would consider the following cities (in order):

1. Bryan/College Station.
2. New Braunfels.
3. Georgetown.
4. Bastrop.
5. Abilene
6. Denton
7. Tyler
8. Waco

My list could change (alot) depending on what your budget is & what you are wanting in (in regards to schools and activities) for your kids.

But what is your budget and do you have jobs lined up?

Old 03-06-2017, 02:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Not sure why Tyler & Waco would be at the top of the list.

What is your Budget ??

Do you have a job lined up?

Given your descriptions & desires above. I would consider the following cities (in order):

1. Bryan/College Station.
2. New Braunfels.
3. Georgetown.
4. Bastrop.
5. Abilene
6. Denton
7. Tyler
8. Waco

My list could change (alot) depending on what your budget is & what you are wanting in (in regards to schools and activities) for your kids.

But what is your budget and do you have jobs lined up?
LOL and I would say (in order):

1. Tyler
2. Abilene
3. Waco
4. Denton
5. Bastrop
6. Bryan/College Station
7. Georgetown
8. New Braunfels

See, to me, many of these cities are just a small part of a lot of huge, urban sprawl just outside or sandwiched in between huge metro areas. Personally, that doesn't appeal to me. And I would sort of figure that anyone who was interested in Tyler or Waco might have that same sort of mindset.

Kinda like saying, "Oh, I live in a quaint little Texas town called Flower Mound."

One of the things that's so great about Tyler, Waco, and yes Abilene (and some other Texas towns) is that they are large enough to stand alone but outside of the "fray" of ever sprawling gigantic metro areas. They're close but not too close.

Lots of people like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas