Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite TX city to live, work, and play?
Abilene 1 0.59%
Amarillo 2 1.18%
Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos 27 15.98%
Beaumont-Port Arthur 2 1.18%
Brownsville-Harlingen 1 0.59%
College Station-Bryan 2 1.18%
Corpus Christi 4 2.37%
Dallas-Ft. Worth-Arlington 35 20.71%
El Paso 1 0.59%
Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land 35 20.71%
Killeen-Temple-Ft. Hood 0 0%
Laredo 0 0%
Longview 0 0%
Lubbock 3 1.78%
McAllen-Edinburg-Mission 4 2.37%
Midland-Odessa 0 0%
San Angelo 2 1.18%
San Antonio-New Braunfels 34 20.12%
Sherman-Denison 1 0.59%
Texarkana 0 0%
Tyler 7 4.14%
Victoria 1 0.59%
Waco 5 2.96%
Wichita Falls 2 1.18%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 11:06 AM

525 posts, read 718,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Favorite city - Arlington
Arlington does have the advantages of being between two largest cities in DFW Metroplex.

Despite what people usually say about Arlington, West and Southwest Arlington are very nice places to live.

I also like Mansfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 09:19 AM

22 posts, read 36,002 times
Default moving from AR to TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
My wife and I are seriously considering a move to Texas from Little Rock, Arkansas. We want a change in our lives without being too far from our families.

We would like to live somewhere with a good economy and housing that is not ridiculously expensive to buy a home. We would like for the city to offer a plenty of activities/events every weekend without emptying the wallet every time. Living somewhere with big city amenities and lakes nearby for water recreation would be a plus.

Of course, Texas is hot. We don't mind higher temperatures but we wouldn't want to live somewhere more humid than where we are in Arkansas.

Based on our research, Dallas is the least humid area outside West Texas and there are lakes around DFW Metroplex. It is more affordable than both Austin and Houston. What do you think?

On the other hand, we are curious. We are open to suggestions since Texas have many cities. Which is your favorite Texas city and why?
SciFi Nerd.........Funny because we were looking to move to Hot Springs for the affordability... Anyway, We live in Cedar Park/Leander area North of Austin.........Compared to AR...ALL of Texas is more expensive. BUT we do not have Personal Income Tax... and we do not tax your car, boat, etc. CP/Leander area has nice neighborhoods with homes under $250K... but prices are going up. Rent on 3 bed/2 bath home is $1,500 and up...

Austin Area has lots of Lakes....and Near the Hill Country which might be more to your liking since much of Texas is flat. HOT in Summer but less Humid than AR........

Culture: Austin is the Big Blue part of Texas...We are Diverse and Progressive... in comparison to FW for example...and More than AR. WE are very friendly and welcoming. I live in Dallas for a year and found it to be "cold" ...more standoffish. Finding new friends was very difficult.......

Lots to do in and around Austin... Music, Festivals, Outdoor activities or all sorts...

maybe I helped ...

Old 02-18-2018, 08:23 PM

I’m trying to understand Texas better. There seems to be love and hate relationship going on between cities. Maybe it is mostly stereotypical.

Why do Dallas and Houston hate each other?

How come Houston does not think it get the respect the city deserves on both state and national levels but respect for the city is very high internationally?

Texarkana is full of KKK.

Waco is full of nutty people.

Beaumont is the most polluted and ghetto city in the state.

Surely, liberalism can’t be the main reason that makes Austin the most unpopular city to most Texans.

It is being said that San Antonio is incredibly boring and completely overrun by Hispanics outside the Riverwalk, SeaWorld, and Six Flags.

Last edited by SciFiNerd1; 02-18-2018 at 08:33 PM..

Old 02-18-2018, 08:29 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Nothing beats coastal Texas, in my opinion. I am rather fond of Port O'Connor, but it's not on the list. Corpus is a big city, but it's very good. So I voted for it.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Nothing beats coastal Texas, in my opinion. I am rather fond of Port O'Connor, but it's not on the list. Corpus is a big city, but it's very good. So I voted for it.
I like coastal Texas too. My favorite is South Padre Island.

It is sad about all refineries on Texas Gulf Coast. It makes the coast less appealing.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:00 AM

343 posts, read 306,563 times
Quote:
I’m trying to understand Texas better. There seems to be love and hate relationship going on between cities. Maybe it is mostly stereotypical.

Why do Dallas and Houston hate each other?

How come Houston does not think it get the respect the city deserves on both state and national levels but respect for the city is very high internationally?

Texarkana is full of KKK.

Waco is full of nutty people.

Beaumont is the most polluted and ghetto city in the state.

Surely, liberalism can’t be the main reason that makes Austin the most unpopular city to most Texans.

It is being said that San Antonio is incredibly boring and completely overrun by Hispanics outside the Riverwalk, SeaWorld, and Six Flags.
What does do you mean by completely "overrun" by Hispanics? Although yea SA can be boring at times.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:55 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
I like different Texas cities for different things:

-San Antonio for the rich history and traditional Texas feel and Southwestern influence

-Fort Worth for the traditional Texas feel and culture and for how proudly it has PRESERVED that.

-Austin for liberal, artsy, live-and-let-live vibe and culture.

-Houston for the international vibe and feel + at the same time, feeling the most Southern of the big Texas cities.

-Dallas for being the all-around jack of all trades big Texas city.

Hard to pick just one. Too many great cities in Texas.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:56 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventud Guerrero View Post
What does do you mean by completely "overrun" by Hispanics? Although yea SA can be boring at times.
Don't feed the troll.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:51 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
I lived there and loved it at the time. But then, I really love the Hispanic culture so it didn't bother me in the least. I bought the best Tamales I've ever had in my entire life there.

But it's too big for me. I like smaller towns or rural.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:06 PM

511 posts, read 399,343 times
The only thing I dislike about Houston is its insane humidity... Other that, I like Houston especially for having the most international vibe among other Texas cities. I also like Houston for its "quirkiness" as opposed to Dallas being sterile looking. Maybe the lack of zoning has to do with Houston having that quirky feeling, but some people don't like the way Houston is. One time I came across an article from the Houston Chronicle where they talked about neighbors complaining about black smokes from a small crematorium that used to be a hardware store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas