Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite TX city to live, work, and play?
Abilene 1 0.59%
Amarillo 2 1.18%
Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos 27 15.98%
Beaumont-Port Arthur 2 1.18%
Brownsville-Harlingen 1 0.59%
College Station-Bryan 2 1.18%
Corpus Christi 4 2.37%
Dallas-Ft. Worth-Arlington 35 20.71%
El Paso 1 0.59%
Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land 35 20.71%
Killeen-Temple-Ft. Hood 0 0%
Laredo 0 0%
Longview 0 0%
Lubbock 3 1.78%
McAllen-Edinburg-Mission 4 2.37%
Midland-Odessa 0 0%
San Angelo 2 1.18%
San Antonio-New Braunfels 34 20.12%
Sherman-Denison 1 0.59%
Texarkana 0 0%
Tyler 7 4.14%
Victoria 1 0.59%
Waco 5 2.96%
Wichita Falls 2 1.18%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 10:04 AM

525 posts, read 718,499 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are seriously considering a move to Texas from Little Rock, Arkansas. We want a change in our lives without being too far from our families.

We would like to live somewhere with a good economy and housing that is not ridiculously expensive to buy a home. We would like for the city to offer a plenty of activities/events every weekend without emptying the wallet every time. Living somewhere with big city amenities and lakes nearby for water recreation would be a plus.

Of course, Texas is hot. We don't mind higher temperatures but we wouldn't want to live somewhere more humid than where we are in Arkansas.

Based on our research, Dallas is the least humid area outside West Texas and there are lakes around DFW Metroplex. It is more affordable than both Austin and Houston. What do you think?

On the other hand, we are curious. We are open to suggestions since Texas have many cities. Which is your favorite Texas city and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 11:13 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,212,817 times
Why is Fort Worth listed with Dallas? They are separate cities and very different and it's a favorite city poll.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:32 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
why is Odessa listed with Midland?Midland and Odessa are two different cities.San Antonio is my favorite big city in Texas.Why is New Braunfels listed with S/A.They are two different cities.Why is Austin listed with San Marcos and Round Rock?Why is Houston listed with Sugarland and The Woodlands?Maybe you should have done a metro poll.What is your budget for housing?Just worry about getting a job first and then go where the job is.San Antonio is my favorite big city in Texas because its down-to-earth,family friendly,scenic,fun,close to the Hill Country and the Texas Coast.

Last edited by C24L; 03-07-2017 at 11:42 AM..

Old 03-07-2017, 11:58 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,082,273 times
Tyler, it does have most of what you listed, even BIG city weekend events area close by DFW, some In Tyler. Less expensive than DFW but, you need to carefully "check out" the employment opportunities YOU need.

Tyler is of course more like Arkansas of any city you listed, along with, Longview, and Texarkana. But Tyler has far more to offer than L & T and closer to DFW, among other things.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:06 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,779,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
My wife and I are seriously considering a move to Texas from Little Rock, Arkansas. We want a change in our lives without being too far from our families.

We would like to live somewhere with a good economy and housing that is not ridiculously expensive to buy a home. We would like for the city to offer a plenty of activities/events every weekend without emptying the wallet every time. Living somewhere with big city amenities and lakes nearby for water recreation would be a plus.

Of course, Texas is hot. We don't mind higher temperatures but we wouldn't want to live somewhere more humid than where we are in Arkansas.

Based on our research, Dallas is the least humid area outside West Texas and there are lakes around DFW Metroplex. It is more affordable than both Austin and Houston. What do you think?

On the other hand, we are curious. We are open to suggestions since Texas have many cities. Which is your favorite Texas city and why?
Where will you job be located?

What is your definition of "ridiculously" expensive?

What is your budget?

Are schools a data point?

- Dallas, Austin and San Antonio all have similar "humidity". Houston's humidity is higher than the others.

- All areas listed offer activities and events. (LOTS of them)

I didn't respond in your "poll" because it is silly. I've only lived in 4 of the 20 cities that you listed, how would someone know what it's like to "live" in a city, or "work" in a city....without actually living there.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:11 PM

554 posts, read 745,321 times
.. .After (finally) becoming an adult, in and around the Austin Metro area, I chose that area as my favorite. My Family, Friends, and other acquaintances live either in the Austin metro, or fairly-near it, so it's an easy choice for me.
However, that said, since I no longer actually live in TEXAS, I doubt if my vote should count, but having spent nearly-30 years of my life there, I can relate to it, albeit from a different time frame-of-reference.

We've spent some vacation time in the San Antonio area, too. It's a beautiful old town with a ton of TEXAS history, along with some interesting tourist sites. One of our "Wannabe" places is Canyon Lake, too ... Looking to (maybe) relocate to that spot.

The Waco Metro area also holds some interest for us; we spent a few days looking-around that area, and there are many things desirable about it: location, population-size, things to do, and things to see. Being between Austin, DFW, and on good highways to & from other areas of the State makes for good possibilities, too.

Even though we currently reside in a big city area (SF), our "retirement dream" is to re-settle to a small(er), stand-alone city, where the pace is slower, and people are truly friendly toward their neighbors - That's TEXAS!

Old 03-07-2017, 12:12 PM

89 posts, read 79,443 times
The OP grouped many cities together in a single entry. The poll calls for a 'favorite city', not 'favorite group of cities'. The error renders the whole poll defective. This thread should be closed, and re-posted; listing each city separately. Otherwise, it's an erroneous poll.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:37 AM

FYI:

There are so many cities in Texas. Some of the cities are grouped because they are counted into the same metro area for the Census. That is why you see New Braunfels with San Antonio and Ft. Worth with Dallas in the poll.

You can always vote in the general poll then be more specific in your post.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Where will you job be located?

What is your definition of "ridiculously" expensive?

What is your budget?

Are schools a data point?

- Dallas, Austin and San Antonio all have similar "humidity". Houston's humidity is higher than the others.

- All areas listed offer activities and events. (LOTS of them)

I didn't respond in your "poll" because it is silly. I've only lived in 4 of the 20 cities that you listed, how would someone know what it's like to "live" in a city, or "work" in a city....without actually living there.
I have been applying for jobs but it is most likely to be for the state of Texas. All are in Downtown Dallas and one in Downtown Houston.

Rentals in city proper (Houston and Austin) seem to be so expensive like $1,500.00+ monthly. That is ridiculously expensive.

Currently, our combined income is around $62,000. That is Arkansas salary so I am sure we will be making much more in Texas.

We do not have children yet; however, we would like to live in a good school district for children in the future.

Last edited by SciFiNerd1; 03-08-2017 at 08:11 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 06:48 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times
I did not have a problem with your poll, OP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas