Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 01:16 PM

12 posts, read 65,475 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know Converse is NE of San Antonio, but when I ask "where is it?" I'm asking mainly what the city boundaries are. Depending upon which map I refer to, sometimes Converse goes as far east as 1604 and abutts Randolf AFB. Sometimes it only goes as far east as Toepperwein Rd (hope I spelled that correctly). And sometimes it goes so far east that it skirts around the south end of Randolf then swings north again on the east side of Randolf, up towards Cibolo.

Does anyone actually know where Converse begins and ends?

And the reason I want to know this is because I want to ask how is family living in Converse, TX? If I were to buy a single family home there, what should I expect?

I read that Converse is considered "slum" or "low rent." OK, but ***which*** Converse?

When I look at crime statistics on City-Data, N*ighb*rh**dsc*ut, and h*mef*cts web sites, it consistantly shows to be lower than Texas in all measured categories, and likewise lower than USA. Looking at Google's satellite images over the area, I don't see much at all in the way of:

* Tons of cars parked in the streets.
* Trash and junk and all manner of refuse in back yards

Street views here and there (I don't have the time to use Google's street view on 100% of all streets) seem to show well maintained streets and house facades, yards are mowed, fences visible between houses seem to be in good shape.

And yet home prices seem to be way, way, WAY below those in surrounding cities.

So what gives? Why the clean streets and roads but low prices?

Did Converse flood in 2010? Does it normally flood when the general SA and Seguin areas flood? Is there a recent gang problem suddenly appeared which is causing people to flee the area and dump their homes, but the crimes aren't yet showing up on crime data bases?

If I move there, I'll be commuting to Hollywood Park via 1604, and from everything else I can see, Converse seems like a dream location: low home prices, low density population, reasonable commute to northern or central SA, clean neighborhoods with homeowners who seem to care about their property.

And yet I read on several forums, including City-data, that Converse is an undesirable area. Some even disparage it by calling it a slum. Why?

Richard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 01:21 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,936,811 times
The questions should probably be asked on the San Antonio forum.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:01 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,685 times
I live in San Antonio, and Converse has really gone downhill. Twenty years ago it was a desirable place in San Antonio. The last 6-7 years has really taken a nosedive. The city itself looks ok, but its the residents to watch out for. I dont know how else to put it unless you direct message me

Old 11-21-2011, 10:04 PM

381 posts, read 768,316 times
I was looking into converse too to buy a new home, but I guess it's not a good place to live from what I have read.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:00 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Converse is right next to Randolph AFB, so I bet there's a lot of military people there.
I believe the SouthWest side of Converse is the area where that was given to the Katrina victims.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:27 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Hopefully you don't have kids. It's in Judson ISD. If you don't it's pretty cheap. So, there's an up side.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 17,336 times
My dad has lived in Converse for about 16 years. He has great neighbors and lives in a nice subdivision. Its a fine place to live. He's even been involved in the city council and city planning over the years. The real issue with Converse as compared to other areas is economic growth... which has improved quite a bit, and is steadily improving, but has not been as explosive or dramatic as the surrounding areas. Selma and Live Oak have literally exploded economically due to their proximity to 35 and 1604 interchange. Converse being 4+ miles east has not had the economic boom the other small cities have had in recent years. They have however, had a huge construction and housing boom due to the excess of undeveloped land... unfortunately not very many large retailers and chain stores have invested in the economic development. Additionally, there have not been many large employers opting to move into the city to help to stimulate the local economy. The economic growth is slowly and steadily catching up... which is why the housing is so inexpensive when compared to other areas. There are just a lot of houses that were built, but not as many new residents moving in. There are a few pockets of not-so-great areas, but those are actually part of City of San Antonio which encroaches on parts of what people consider Converse. The city of Converse does not have an excess of fire/police funding and so some areas were relinquished to the City of San Antonio so that the Converse population has adequate personnel to accommodate the safety and welfare of the citizens.

Last edited by ejco; 03-26-2013 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-26-2013, 10:40 PM

2 posts, read 17,336 times
I cant see how anyone living outside of Converse can make such wild assumptions... some of the replies I've seen here are just laughable. Yes, there are nicer, newer, higher income areas that you can find in the San Antonio area, but there are also many, many far worse areas. In my personal opinion, the huge increase in traffic in the I35 corridor, combined with the distance and lack of a direct thoroughfare to central San Antonio or alternate route aside from 1604/35 makes the commute from Converse a little bit excessive. San Antonio is just such a large spread-out area, and if you've lived in any major city outside of Texas (you would already know) that the roads and highway set up in Bexar county is horrific... even the new road work that is supposed to relieve traffic is so poorly designed and takes so long that by the time it is finished it ultimately has zero impact on the traffic situation... if it doesn't actually contribute to it. I think there are plenty of other options for people to find a decent place closer to where they work than Converse.

So no, Converse is not a flood plain, or Katrina refugee camp, nor is it a gangland. There is not much crime reported, because there is not much crime going on. Most people in Converse are stable families with children who have been in the area for a long time. Converse used to be on the edge of open country, with a lot of undeveloped pockets of land and trees. Most people here are the type that wanted to stay out of the big city. Its a good family town.

Last edited by ejco; 03-26-2013 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: adding comments

Old 09-30-2013, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 10,025 times
You are right EJCO, Converse is a very fine place to live. I have lived in Converse for over 8 years and I am currently raising a family here, so far I have never found any issues with the way things are going on here. Not a party city, not very many clubs, pubs or community alcohol holes, so, very little dunk diving and great community security. A community of stable families, most of them are serving their country in the Army and Air Force, some retired from serving their country and other private institutions, and other like me that have a family life and enjoy my day to day wok trip to work for the finest military in the world as a civilian. I have never been without work, my neighbors are in the same sheet of music as me. This is a place to call home and not make a mistake about it. I can go to Downtown San Antonio in no time and when the party gets too rowdy, I go home to Converse and enjoy thee quiet environment of a safe city. I have never been robed, or assaulted. The only issue I have had here have been with some people that come from outside Converse that come to make noise in this area, by our gentlemen in the dark blue uniforms are very well trained to take care of the citizens.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,438 times
My family and I will be moving to San Antonio, can someone tell me what parts of Converse are better or worse, how is the school system, I have little ones so the school system is one of my top priorities but we are not familiar with San Antonio at all so any information is helpful. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas