Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 12:55 PM

23 posts, read 45,157 times

Advertisements

Hello guys, I am new to this forum.

I really need advice about living in Beaumont. I just got a job here (and I have to take this job because I am desperate and I do not have much of an option). Please just give me advice on living in beaumont. I do not want people telling me do not move here because I DO have to move here and within the next two weeks.

I will be moving from Morgantown WV to Beaumont Tx and I have never been to Texas. I already read through most of the past threads on beaumont and I would really like advice from people who either still live there or who have lived/moved there within the past 2 years.

From past threads, the general consensus is to live in the West Side of town (thanks to all those who gave advises on this). My problem now is that the apartments on the west side are ridiculously expensive and the reviews for some of the apartments are either outdated (>2 years ago) or Negative. I honestly do not know what to believe anymore. I won't be able to go get a feel of the area before moving so I am literally moving down there blindly.

I have called and read (the few)reviews online about:
StoneLeigh on Major
The Preserve on Old Dowlen
West End lodge
The Pointe
Glen Oaks
Towne Oaks

Please for people living in Beaumont? Where should I live? I honestly do not mind paying $1000 - $1200 a month if utilities were included. But with all these apartments, NO utilities are included! I have to pay electric, water, gas, sewer, cable, internet etc. Heck for some, I have to pay for parking too I mean it's just crazy to me considering this is a rural town.

Is it worth considering to live in other parts of beaumont? Honestly, I just go to work and go home - I am not a party person and I barely eat out etc. I am single and young and I just want to be safe that's all.

I have read about living in Nederland or Port Neches - Should I just move to those places instead and commute?

Please Please I need advises urgently. Please guys

Last edited by thebosslady; 08-08-2015 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 02:44 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,216,070 times
Yes Nederland or Port Neches or even Lumberton since you are unfamiliar with the area. The commute to Beaumont will be short, but you will have more peace of mind going to sleep. One more bit of advice - be careful with the apartments around Central Mall, which is technically in Port Arthur, but bleeds into Nederland. That used to be a great area, but has gotten run down lately.

I commuted from Orange to Beaumont in the 90s for one of my degrees. 40 minutes one way, and I drove through Nederland or Port Neches every time. The commute from Port Neches to Beaumont city limits is more like 20 minutes or 15 minutes if you have a lead foot.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:06 PM

Oh great thank you so much. I will start searching for something in those areas then and will make sure to avoid the Central Mall area of Nederland. Thanks for the info

Old 08-09-2015, 12:21 AM

389 posts, read 419,358 times
I have not lived in the area in many years, but I still have family there, so I visit every couple of years. I would second a vote for looking in Nederland/Pt. Neches. (That's where I was born and raised.) I would think you could rent a small/decent house in a nice neighborhood there for $1000-$1200. My friend owns some rental property around there (not sure exactly where), so I can ask her what the going rate is, if you would like.

Good luck with your move.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:13 PM

Hello yes can you please check with your friend for me? And maybe she can give me more info on which neighborhood to focus on. If she even has any of her property available, I am open to checking them out. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spchtx View Post
I have not lived in the area in many years, but I still have family there, so I visit every couple of years. I would second a vote for looking in Nederland/Pt. Neches. (That's where I was born and raised.) I would think you could rent a small/decent house in a nice neighborhood there for $1000-$1200. My friend owns some rental property around there (not sure exactly where), so I can ask her what the going rate is, if you would like.

Good luck with your move.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebosslady View Post
Hello yes can you please check with your friend for me? And maybe she can give me more info on which neighborhood to focus on. If she even has any of her property available, I am open to checking them out. Thank you.
Just sent her a message. She's usually pretty quick to respond.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spchtx View Post
Just sent her a message. She's usually pretty quick to respond.
great thank you

Old 08-09-2015, 08:29 PM

She said she's had the same tenants in her place for 4 years, and she hasn't raised the rent. However, she thinks that if she was renting to someone new she would rent it for about $1000. (Waiting to hear back on what the sq footage of that would be.)

So definitely seems like you could get a house for the amount you are looking for, and she said she thought you could find an apartment there for that amount with utilities included. I just asked her if she knows of any property managers there. All her houses are currently rented right now.

I would still consider Nederland/Pt. Neches over Beaumont.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:00 PM

She also recommended that you look at https://www.rentjungle.com/nederland...uses-for-rent/

Old 08-10-2015, 03:56 PM

oh great great. I will look through the site. Thanks so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas