Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 02:20 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
People in Texas still think that all businesses ultimately think practically on their terms and that it's all about the bottom line without realizing that the even the bottom line has changed for many big companies. Many big companies and even the ones starting out in certain fields think green or think of other things we think of as liberal as their bottom line too. Texas thinks all businesses are like the oil companies. Newer companies are thinking more holistic and incorporating sustainability, social aspects and the like to their bottom line.

If there is anything pushing "liberalism" more so than government these days it's big business.
People also assume that big business is primarily concerned with things like taxes or regulations when deciding where to locate. In reality, big businesses have enough money to figure out how to game the tax system or find regulatory loopholes. The most important factor for businesses is actually having a skilled local labor force.

You make an interesting point about big businesses becoming liberal. I have noticed that myself and have thought about why that might be. My conclusion is that big business figured out that it can use big government to it's advantage. Staying tight with government can allow businesses to influence legislation that benefits them or to use government and it's red tape/regulations as a weapon against smaller competitors that don't have the resources to work around the government BS. Then there is the fact that big business can be structured and function similarly to government itself, perhaps leading to similar mindsets.

Big business and government have essentially melded together. The big wigs jump between government service and the private sector. This is true of both parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 02:36 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
People also assume that big business is primarily concerned with things like taxes or regulations when deciding where to locate. In reality, big businesses have enough money to figure out how to game the tax system or find regulatory loopholes. The most important factor for businesses is actually having a skilled local labor force.

You make an interesting point about big businesses becoming liberal. I have noticed that myself and have thought about why that might be. My conclusion is that big business figured out that it can use big government to it's advantage. Staying tight with government can allow businesses to influence legislation that benefits them or to use government and it's red tape/regulations as a weapon against smaller competitors that don't have the resources to work around the government BS. Then there is the fact that big business can be structured and function similarly to government itself, perhaps leading to similar mindsets.

Big business and government have essentially melded together. The big wigs jump between government service and the private sector. This is true of both parties.
Exactly. I've noticed big business getting more and more liberal and getting into the social justice warrior-ism to increase their brands. They want to appear to be on the "right side of history" and have invested a ton of money into rebranding themselves for millennials and the next generations who they think will be liberal in all aspects.

You hit it on the nail with companies wanting competent and skilled local labor force. New businesses, especially the ones not in the old industries, but ones in tech, service sector, marketing, etc, want an educated labor force, so they look for investments in primary and secondary education in those regions. I'll add to it that they also look for amenities because they want to attract top talent to live in those places too.

Big Business thinks of themselves as the standard and will use the government to re-write legislation or add regulations to challenge smaller firms who can't keep up. Government just lets them because the think, well they're the standard.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:46 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
inland empire - you dont know a think about that area- its blighted and run down and commutes to la or OC is 2 hours each way

again check you facts very few of the dot coms have 1000's of workers most are small with a couple hundred looking for the IPO to make them rick - just look at snapchat - Alabama and ol Miss is NOT liberal by a far shot - again look it up
I listed those three states because you listed the absolute best red states. What made you think I was called those southern states liberal? Companies establish and grow in California or NY and then setup secondary offices in places like Austin or Atlanta. That's what I meant by the ideas coming from there. Once they get established then they might move for cheaper taxes but another company grows and takes the spot.

Quote:
NY and Calif exporting their ideas? you want those for TX? unfunded liabilities to the tune of billions- they just announced that the gas tax which is highest in the nation is not enough and want another .12 per gallon and another 200 bucks more to register you car! - Or how about the hundreds of bonds there push to paint schools, building housing for free rent for the drug addicts

How about stats income tax of 11% which we dont have- if you want to donate to the state nobody is stopping you-

how about $20 fee to go the the beach for a day? what about water rates so high you can water your lawn - like 300 - 400 per month? how about elect rates now above .20kw? Yea calif got it all right - thats why 10's of thousands are leaving - and those of are not illegals leaving - its ones like me who are sick and tired of paying huge taxes, watching roads be torn apart every day and not repaired, pay a fee for this or that, gas over 3 buck a gallon, 50 -70 bucks to camp at a beach, hell i have to pay 60 bucks a year for dog tags. Calif is not what you think it is - yeas its beautiful - yea great place to visit - but to be successful and live here- nope- and we are 10 months 3 weeks away till we call TX home -
What fee to go to the beach? Most are free. You can drive or take transit there. The fee was during the drought. You can get those fees in Texas too.

California may not have it all right but if you think Texas does then you're kidding yourself. Texas has its own set of issues that is growing as the state gets larger and attracts more low skilled workers.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:55 PM

716 posts, read 539,734 times
its 20 bucks entry to state beaches here in so calf - and the water is turned off for showers too - drought over - right these dies are not going to lower the rates and already are saying they need the money for infrastructure improvements

you see govts never ever give back taxes increases- fees etc all they want to do is spend -

dam not saying texas has it all right buts its light years ahead of calif for fiscal responsibilities - and i for one applaud that -

Old 03-31-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I listed those three states because you listed the absolute best red states. What made you think I was called those southern states liberal? Companies establish and grow in California or NY and then setup secondary offices in places like Austin or Atlanta. That's what I meant by the ideas coming from there. Once they get established then they might move for cheaper taxes but another company grows and takes the spot.

What fee to go to the beach? Most are free. You can drive or take transit there. The fee was during the drought. You can get those fees in Texas too.

California may not have it all right but if you think Texas does then you're kidding yourself. Texas has its own set of issues that is growing as the state gets larger and attracts more low skilled workers.
That is something I didn't want to bring up for fear of generalizing the new influx of transplants. After my many visits and talking to people from the area both workers and others who own businesses, the complaint of finding competent and skilled workers is tough. So much work to be done but not enough skilled people. This happens all over but in Texas it's a pretty big issue. I can't believe so many flocked to Texas believing the hype from Rick Perry and the business rags. Yes, its true to some extent but you at least need to have some skill.

My uber driver last time I was in Houston was from NY state and they complained about how he and his wife moved down here expecting Shangri-la but instead so their lives only marginally improved. Another guy from MA who moved to FL but then to TX, same thing. Many people taking advantage of the Texas miracle are credentialed professionals or highly skilled laborers with tons of experience. That's mostly it. The rest are in the low wage service sector and the only benefits is that land is still relatively cheap and ripe for development keeping costs down.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:20 PM

the same here in ca. i need to hire 12 people and can find a single qualified person - more work that we can handle - still have adds in 4 states - nobody wants to move to so calif - i guess i can pay them 50% more than me -

there are so many job available in the US but we have generations of kids who think they deserve 209 buck per for their first job- states and cities telling companies they need to 15 buck per hour to flip burgers - taken all the vocational classes away so kids dot exposed to trades- heck i know several mercedes and bow mechanics making 100k plus to fix a car YOU bring to them -

The us is in real trouble - parents need to take responsibility of their kids - make them learn a skill thats wanted - give them guideence -

Old 03-31-2017, 04:45 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:

there are so many job available in the US but we have generations of kids who think they deserve 209 buck per for their first job- states and cities telling companies they need to 15 buck per hour to flip burgers - taken all the vocational classes away so kids dot exposed to trades- heck i know several mercedes and bow mechanics making 100k plus to fix a car YOU bring to them -

The us is in real trouble - parents need to take responsibility of their kids - make them learn a skill thats wanted - give them guideence -
Your point about vocational education is of critical importance. Until automation eliminates these jobs, most vocational positions can't be outsourced. But I'm convinced that part of the reason for the near death of vocational education is a combination of the public school system pushing college on everyone, as well as parents not wanting to have the kid that went to vocational school rather than college.

Never mind that the HVAC repair guy or diesel mechanic is going to be doing a hell of a lot better than the white privilege studies major.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:15 PM

Vocational schools and people going to trades will help.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:16 PM

agreed = our havoc guys are making 80k - non union and not alot of to -

Old 03-31-2017, 07:39 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
Quote:
dollartx you should look at your history of calif- there has not been a elected republican since 1988 and the house has not been held for 20 years
I'm not arguing for or against any particular party ikoolu, I'm just saying it's not wise to keep voting for either party for a long time because they start going into the scary far left or right.

Governors since 1990:

California
George Deukmejian
Pete Wilson

Gray Davis
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Jerry Brown
Current Party Consecutive Years in Office: 6

Texas
Ann Richards
George W. Bush
Rick Perry
Greg Abbott

Current Party Consecutive Years in Office: 22!

Here's the next 2 biggest states:

Florida
Bob Martinez
Lawton Chiles
Buddy MacKay

Jeb Bush
Charlie Crist* *Turned Independent so you could argue consecutive years
Rick Scott
Current Party Consecutive Years in Office: 18*

New York
George Pataki
Eliot Spitzer
David Paterson
Andrew Cuomo

Current Party Consecutive Years in Office: 10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas