Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 10:22 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,204 times

Advertisements

If you want to keep public school in Texas, call your senators tomorrow.

"After little debate Thursday, the Senate Education Committee voted 7-3 to pass legislation that would create two public programs subsidizing private school tuition and homeschooling expenses.

Senate Bill 3, a priority for Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, now heads to the full Senate, where it’s also expected to pass. Corresponding bills have not been taken up by the House Public Education Committee.

Thursday’s vote came two days after a committee hearing that lasted more than eight hours, with more than 150 people filling the room to testify in support and opposition. The bill’s author, Senate Education Chairman Larry Taylor, R-Friendswood, submitted a new version of the bill that he said would decrease the cost of the programs"

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/03...l-choice-bill/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 10:49 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
I like school choice as long as it's done right.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:33 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
The first program created in the bill, education savings accounts or ESAs, would give parents online accounts of state money to pay for private school tuition or homeschooling expenses.
The second program, tax credit scholarships, would allow businesses to receive credits against their insurance premium taxes if they contribute to approved scholarship organizations.
Both excellent ideas!

Old 03-30-2017, 11:52 AM

The vouchers would not be enough money to pay for full tuition in a private school, do you realize that? It would also drain public schools of money.

I personally do not want my taxes to go towards religious schools.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:03 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
I'm for improving education, public schools have not been the answer in much of Texas, sure there are numerous exceptions.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:14 PM

School "choice" could get expensive for the taxpayer:

LegislED: The cost of "choice" in Texas? SB3's fiscal note says $218 million.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:27 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
The concept seems good (school 'choice'), but in the end the real 'goal' is:
- Creating private schools that wealthier people can send their kids to. Lower income will not be able to afford the difference between voucher/tuition or be able to get their kids to the private schools at all due to location (no school buses, ofc);
- Have schools that don't have to bother with people with special education needs; and
- Provide another method for businessmen to extract money from the public at large.

The private schools will be a resounding 'success', at least on paper, since they won't have to deal with low-income and special needs, while at the same time the public schools have to deal with a higher percentage of those kids on a smaller budget. Wallah! Guaranteed winner!

Old 03-30-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The concept seems good (school 'choice'), but in the end the real 'goal' is:
- Creating private schools that wealthier people can send their kids to. Lower income will not be able to afford the difference between voucher/tuition or be able to get their kids to the private schools at all due to location (no school buses, ofc);!
This is true. But sadly, some lower income people seem to believe that vouchers will give their child the chance to go free full tuition at a private school.

They are sadly misinformed.

This will only benefit those with the means to already send their child to private school; that's who this was designed for - to put more money into the hands of people who are wealthy.

So my advice is, call your senator's office and let him/her know you don't support it. Because it will pass soon unless more people call.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Both excellent ideas!
Not really. Just because it's called "school choice" doesn't mean your child can attend any private school that he chooses to.

You see, private schools are free to reject anyone, for any reason. And not just students who can't achieve academically. If they are too full, if you aren't the right religion, or anything else they don't like about you, they can turn you down. They can't be sued for discrimination if they decide they don't like your race, your cultural background or religion; since they are private institutions.

So if the voucher system is passed, it's going to be very difficult for many parents, as some private schools may not accept their child. And once the public schools are drained of money, those won't be an attractive alternative either.

All i can advise you is, get ready to homeschool.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:44 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
You see, private schools are free to reject anyone, for any reason. And not just students who can't achieve academically. If they are too full, if you aren't the right religion, or anything else they don't like about you, they can turn you down. They can't be sued for discrimination if they decide they don't like your race, your cultural background or religion; since they are private institutions.
Well, that actually shouldn't be the case, at least not legally speaking since vouchers will be tied to tax dollars (at least in the pass-through sense); however, times are a-changing and I suspect that there will be more wiggle room to set conditions that make an environment hostile to various groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
All i can advise you is, get ready to homeschool.
Hmm...an idea, if I home school my kids, shouldn't I get vouchers to pay myself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: