Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,138 times

Advertisements

I have seasonal affective disorder and get very depressed in the winter where there is no sunlight. I also have Fibromyalgia and one of my main triggers is the cold, damp weather. I currently live in sunless, cold Missouri and would like to move to a small Texas town.
I am very involved in farming and agriculture. Although this is not my full time career, it is very important to me. I love a strong school district and a town with Christian morals. I am looking at a town of under 4500.

Last edited by kayajane99; 04-06-2017 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 10:26 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayajane99 View Post
I have seasonal affective disorder and get very depressed in the winter where there is no sunlight. I also have Fibromyalgia and one of my main triggers is the cold, damp weather. I currently live in sunless, cold Missouri and would like to move to a small Texas town.
I am very involved in farming and agriculture. Although this is not my full time career, it is very important to me. I love a strong school district and a town with Christian morals. I am looking at a town of under 4500.
Well there is a whole of sunshine in all of Texas for the most part.I would avoid the Panhandle if your are looking to stay away from cold weather.A lot of the state can be damp at times because of humidity.Maybe Wall could work.I am sure there are lots of other towns that could work for you but I am not all that familiar with them.Texas is in the Bible Belt so a lot of the areas still have Christian morals.Maybe you could find a small town near Abilene or Waco.Waco can get cold and damp during the winter.Nowhere in Texas has a true gloomy climate.What would you do for a living?What is your budget?Best of luck and welcome to the great state of Texas.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:01 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
Offhand, east Texas has a more obvious Christian influence and better soil for farming but more humidity. West Texas is more desert-like with low humidity but poor soil, and the people are more western and less bible belt. The farther south you go, the warmer it stays in winter (and the hotter in summer), but that part of the state isn't know for its outstanding schools.

Here's a rainfall map, which should give you an indication of the amount of sun.

This frost map will give you an idea of how cold the different regions get.

Locations of the best farmland in the state. You would be looking at the green areas (low development).

Another map of agricultural regions.

A map of predominant religion by county.

Okay, that's enough. But I do love maps.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:25 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayajane99 View Post
Generally speaking, the further SOUTH and EAST you go in Texas, the cloudier, rainier, and more humid it gets. The further NORTH and WEST you go in Texas, the sunnier and drier (precip & humidity wise) it gets. I think El Paso avgs. around 80% annual sunshine (think Arizona sun) while Houston is about 60%. Houston & coastal TX will have the warmest winter weather, but the most humid and damp. Still a reasonably sunny climate, so SAD shouldn't be an issue there.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:02 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Even the cloudiest and rainiest parts of Texas aren't gloomy for weeks on end like northern winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas