Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:49 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

Next they will be wanting people in the cities to leave the rats alone. After all they are not as dangerous as a rattle snake and they don't even eat them after killing them.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:48 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Not everyone lives in an uptown concrete jungle. If they did, what on earth would you be eating? I think sometimes people get so used to going to the supermarket buying packaged meat, milk in a carton, canned vegetbles, etc. , they competely forget how it gets there. If you don't want to be out there with the 'innocent creatures' raising this food, so people such as yourself can have it at their fingertips, you shouldn't be so critical of the people who are out there dealing with rattlesnakes, etc. in order to supply you with 'that sandwich at the grocery store'.
Right on the mark! I always get a disgusted chuckle out of anti-hunters (not to be confused with non-hunters) who righteously condemn it while enjoying their steak dinner!

But anyway, as to rattlesnake roundups, I never attended one and never really had any desire to. Never gave them much thought one way or another, to be honest. BUT, after reading this thread I am going to make a special point to change that soon and be an ardent and vocal supporter henseforth!

Last edited by TexasReb; 03-07-2008 at 11:22 AM..

Old 03-07-2008, 10:57 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
They make good pets, thats why. If the owners cant be responsible enough to lock the cage, then accidents are bound to happen. The snake is just doing what it does naturally. Same for a cat that kills a pet fish or a pet bird, NO DIFFERENCE. Pythons can be extremely docile and live a long time, and some can have strikingly beautiful patterns, thats why people keep them as pets. My dachshund mauled my chinchilla that escaped, did I get mad? No. Its just as bad as a python eating a chihuahua. But its a snake and it ate something! KILL IT! Right?
YES, if it ate my pet!!!!

If someone's huge snake (python, boa constrictor, et al) had gotten loose and managed to get in my yard, it would also be dead, even if I had to use something besides a gun to kill it. I have no use for them, either. Garter snakes, bull snakes, coachwhips, et al....were all welcome. They are beneficial, and do no harm to either me or my dogs.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:57 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
This entire thing has gone from ridiculous to asinine. We realize you have a fetish for snakes, but some of the issues that have been raised here are without a doubt totally outside of normal rationale.

It borders on ludicrous as to the consideration given as to whether you destroy a thing (be it reptile, insect, etc.) based on its lifespan. It is completely irrevelant.

As far as statistics, I've never given a big rat's ass for them. Really, think about it, who cares? Let's say, YOU are the one who has been bitten, YOU are the one in the hospital, YOU are the one who dies? Or we could go with the theory it is your child who is dying of a snakebite. Are you really so concerned now with the statistics? Does it really matter to you now how many people (be it 1 or be it 101) have died from snakebite in the past 1 or 100 years? No, I don't think you'd really give a big rat's ass about the statistics in that situation either.

As far as dog bites, try and read up on other things besides snakes. You might find out we also kill dogs that bite down here in Texas. You might happen to read about a dog (I almost said pitbull, but there have been others) that got loose and attacked a person or child and the authorities put the dog to sleep. We have attack dogs, watchdogs, etc., but they are kept within a controlled environment. I went out one morning to feed a baby calf ( its mother had died and I was having to bottle feed it) and a stray pit bull had come up was was right outside the corral. That dog started at me, growling, teeth bared, and I slowly started backing up until I was close enough to turn and hightail it into the house. I got the shotgun and ended that's dog's life. It was a dangerous critter and no different from a poisonous or should I say, venomous snake. Regardless, they cause harm and should be done away with.

I have never before encountered anyone who considered pain and being hospitalized so lightly. For starters, I don't like pain myself and try to avoid it. I certainly don't want to see someone else in pain if it could be avoided. Second, let's consider the financial side of the situation. A trip to the emergency room is not to be taken lightly. A few hours there can run into hundreds of dollars. Let's say they decide you need to be admitted for a day or two. All I can say is you better have deep pockets or good insurance and most people don't have insurance. So, it is just plain good common sense to eradiate as many of these critters as possible. Don't worry, they are not going to become extinct. As far as the "good" they do, maybe you should read up on the other predators, the ones that will not cause harm to you or your children, pets, etc.

As far as why people like to wear items of clothing made out of snakeskin, I couldn't tell you. I guess its each to their own. I don't like snakes, I don't like looking at them, etc., so I wouldn't be the one to answer that. I did have a friend who got himself a pair of new boots made out of rattlesnake hide. He was proud as punch of them, kept asking everybody how'd they like his new boots? He finally asked me how I liked them. I told him I didn't like them at all. He said I was just jealous, that I probably wanted a pair just like them. I told him, hell no, that I'd be afraid to wear them. I said, it'd be my luck I'd have them on and get drunk, look down and think a snake was crawling up my leg, and shoot my foot off!

Regardless, it is impossible to make an issue out of the articles of clothing. I gues this goes back to cavemen times where you utilitize as much as possible from an animal you kill. Think about it, those dress shoes you're wearing are no doubt made out of cowhide. That pretty little rabbitskin coat you bought your little daughter came from....yup.... just what the name says, cute little rabbits! This list could go on forever and a day, so just give some thought to what all feeds and clothes you.

This whole thing is silly. You like snakes, fine! You want to protect snakes, fine! You want to sit up in Chicago and tell people here in Texas what they should or should not be doing? This is where the trouble begins. You are stepping on toes here in an issue that doesn't even remotely concern you. You need to tend to your own business in your own neck of the woods.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:30 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
Yes, but isn't Chicago already full to the brim with snakes?
Not as many as in TX apparently.

End the roundups, end of story.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
But anyway, as to rattlesnake roundups, I never attended one and never really had any desire to. BUT, after reading this thread I am going to make a special point to change that soon and be an ardent and vocal supporter henseforth!
How incredibly mature of you. Enjoy your roundups.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:17 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,867 times
When I was a kid in Pampa, Texas, I used to hunt rattlers with two friends. We put them in cages and sold them to the Empire Cafe which served rattle snake meat. Steve-O, how do you feel about that? Again, we never made a significant dent in the rattler population with our hunting.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
When I was a kid in Pampa, Texas, I used to hunt rattlers with two friends. We put them in cages and sold them to the Empire Cafe which served rattle snake meat. Steve-O, how do you feel about that? Again, we never made a significant dent in the rattler population with our hunting.
I have no problems with that. If youre using the animals to eat, more power to ya. But just to drag them out and hack them out of fear or use the stupid "to keep the population down" theory, thats what I despise.

States like IL, WI, PA have taken steps to protect their native species, yet states like GA, NM and TX can hack and kill all they want. I guess some states see the benefit of snakes while others just turn the other cheek.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:57 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
How incredibly mature of you. Enjoy your roundups.

You'll forgive me of course, I'm sure, if after reading your righteous ranting for the length of this thread, I am not terribly humbled by your attempt at sarcasm. Nor ability to roll the eyes! I say that in the spirit of our old barbing exchanges, of course!

And I do promise to have a bite in your honor!

Old 03-07-2008, 02:03 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
Can you all give it a rest already.. points have been made, and now its just banter to insult and irritate. A mod already gave you all fair warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: