Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2017, 09:57 AM

5 posts, read 4,128 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Hope everyone's well. Moving BACK to Texas in 6mos. - 2yrs and looking for advice. Excuse the length, but more detail helps, right?

Background: Lived in Houston for 17yrs (2-19yo), disabled vet (I know all my benefits....a main reason for the move), international spouse and a 14mo son. Currently on the East Coast for the last 18yrs, and I might make the move initially, with the family coming later. Even if we make the move together, we'll be leasing for a yr while I/we do "boots on the ground" house/neighborhood hunting. Have immediate/extended family all over the south.

Houston: My hometown, brothers still there and I get back 1-2 x year, so I'm most familiar with it and would make the most $$ if the cards fall/are played right, but still open to local knowledge. Love my H-town but don't have to go back.......can/will travel if I/we want. Spouse lived there for about a year and liked the "H".

Dallas/Ft. Worth: Never set foot in Dallas, so no idea about good/bad neighborhoods, the "flavor" of the town, etc. Job prospects are the best of the three, but not in my preferred field. Closest to parents in Arkansas for them to see their 1st/only grandchild. Open-minded.

San Ant: Job prospects are just below Dallas, I've been there a couple of times. With so much military in/around the city it's probably pretty vet friendly and a slowest paced of the three (in my mind).

Desires: Good schools, downsizing from a larger/older property, peace of mind (parks, trails, etc), and price isn't a big issue though we'll only need just enough space as we'll be traveling. I know you can't have everything, but we're leaning towards more urban with access to transportation/activities, but can't do the condo/hi-rise living. Thanks for all (positive) replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 12:21 PM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Budget for both renting/buying?

Old 04-26-2017, 12:28 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
San Antonio for the military background.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:40 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHE-Don'tLiveToday View Post
Hi all,

Hope everyone's well. Moving BACK to Texas in 6mos. - 2yrs and looking for advice. Excuse the length, but more detail helps, right?

Background: Lived in Houston for 17yrs (2-19yo), disabled vet (I know all my benefits....a main reason for the move), international spouse and a 14mo son. Currently on the East Coast for the last 18yrs, and I might make the move initially, with the family coming later. Even if we make the move together, we'll be leasing for a yr while I/we do "boots on the ground" house/neighborhood hunting. Have immediate/extended family all over the south.

Houston: My hometown, brothers still there and I get back 1-2 x year, so I'm most familiar with it and would make the most $$ if the cards fall/are played right, but still open to local knowledge. Love my H-town but don't have to go back.......can/will travel if I/we want. Spouse lived there for about a year and liked the "H".

Dallas/Ft. Worth: Never set foot in Dallas, so no idea about good/bad neighborhoods, the "flavor" of the town, etc. Job prospects are the best of the three, but not in my preferred field. Closest to parents in Arkansas for them to see their 1st/only grandchild. Open-minded.

San Ant: Job prospects are just below Dallas, I've been there a couple of times. With so much military in/around the city it's probably pretty vet friendly and a slowest paced of the three (in my mind).

Desires: Good schools, downsizing from a larger/older property, peace of mind (parks, trails, etc), and price isn't a big issue though we'll only need just enough space as we'll be traveling. I know you can't have everything, but we're leaning towards more urban with access to transportation/activities, but can't do the condo/hi-rise living. Thanks for all (positive) replies!
Thanks so much for your service to our country,OP.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:55 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,211,278 times
How close do you need to be to a good VA hospital? What do y'all like to do for fun? What lifestyle amenities are important to you?

Old 04-26-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Budget for both renting/buying?
Thanks. Planning to rent/lease for 6mos-1yr before buying.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
San Antonio for the military background.
Ikr

Old 04-26-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Thanks so much for your service to our country,OP.
Thanks C24L, that's very appreciated.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
How close do you need to be to a good VA hospital? What do y'all like to do for fun? What lifestyle amenities are important to you?
VA hosp: Being close to one would be nice, and I've been looking around the Medical Center area, but it's not necessary.
For fun: Enjoying days at the park, music & sports venues. Artsy fartsy museum districts are OK as well. Unfortunately, work has been our main activity lately but that will change!
Lifestyle amenities: Nearby parks/trails would be nice, but we'll be fine as long as the area isn't isn't non-stop noise/action. But we also don't want to drive 20 minutes to get to a movie, restaurant or shopping center either. Y'know....everything lol

Old 04-26-2017, 05:24 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHE-Don'tLiveToday View Post
Thanks C24L, that's very appreciated.
You are welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas