Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,395 times

Advertisements

Hi Texans,

I'm planning a move down to Texas (hopefully somewhere around hill country) with my fiance. He is from a rural town in a very rural state up north. With one exception - ice hockey - he is a Texan at heart. He would be extremely sad if our kids grew up not being able to play hockey, as it was such an integral part of his life and development.
That being said, is anyone aware of suburbs or smaller towns in Texas that have active (doesn't even have to be too big) hockey clubs for kids? Ideally somewhere in or near a hill country town?
We are flexible with exactly where we go, we are currently searching with pretty flexible jobs.
Thanks for your help. If anyone has any suggestions we would be forever in your debt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 04:11 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
Football is the national sport of Texas. No ifs, ands, or buts about that statement.

Not a lot of choices for ice rinks. No outdoor ice. Its sub-tropical.

National amateur roller hockey champs were from SE Texas a few years back.

There is professional hockey to watch. Where is hubby-to-be coming from? I spent some time in Maine and wifey is Canadian (NB) originally so I know about the hockey bug!

Old 04-30-2017, 04:27 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
There is very little hockey here. Football, baseball, basketball, soccer, track, wrestling, tennis, golf, etc., are all more popular and common than hockey.

Hockey is probably more popular here than curling though.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:36 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Well, a few years ago, there were more professional hockey teams in Texas than Canada; of course, they were minor league teams and Canada's were all major.....

There are a lot of kids in leagues and at camps in the smattering of ice rinks around Austin, so it is possible, but nothing like up north. You would have to drive in from the wherever you were living to play hockey, might be a huge bit of travel time.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:16 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Odessa has a minor league hockey team called the Odessa Jackalopes.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:23 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
you won't find any hockey in small Texas towns -- football is IT. There is just barely hockey in Austin, a minor league team in Cedar Park, two ice rinks and some club, youth, and adult hockey.
Chaparral Ice

Hockey is hugely important to my brother, lack of high level adult leagues is one reason he keeps delaying a move to Austin.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:07 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Not a small town, nor in the hill country, but the Dallas area has a very active and competitor junior hockey league. I believe the league uses the Dallas Stars' facility in Frisco (booming suburb about 20 miles north of downtown Dallas). Quite a few coworkers of mine have had kids in the league over the years. Seems to be a very professional and competitive organization.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:12 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
Quote:
Seems to be a very professional and competitive organization.
And it's popular enough in Dallas that several NHL propects have been drafted from local high schools. In short if you want hockey in TX, you are choosing DFW.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:16 AM

163 posts, read 199,078 times
San Antonio has Northwoods Ice which has adult and youth hockey at 1604 & 281. They used to be a two rink setup, but now they converted one to an indoor turf field. That's the far north side and in range of a few small Hill Country towns. The San Antonio Rampage plays semi-pro hockey in the AT&T Center. Not that it fits the requirements, but since everyone else is throwing out options that don't fit, I'll throw in Houston. There are quite a few rinks with youth and adult leagues. They have a semi-pro team as well.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:45 AM

56 posts, read 80,152 times
Amarillo has youth hockey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas