Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 4,576 times

Advertisements

I'm a 27 year old Divorce with 5 year old twin daughters, that would like to move to Texas. I've been looking at differant towns in Texas to move to. (Mcallen, Brownsville) However, the websites always highlight just the good.. I need to know both the bad and the good. I need a town that is affordable to live in, yet safe for my kids, with good schools. I don't mind small towns, yet I would like to live in the outskirts of a large town with all the amenities to keep me busy. I need to get away from the snow once and for all. Please, if anyone knows anything about Texas, please give me your opinion of a town that sounds like what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance for your help.
Jess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 08:22 AM

257 posts, read 986,503 times
Default Friendswood

Look up Friendswood Tx

Old 03-08-2008, 10:10 AM

94 posts, read 428,474 times
hey there, im not from texas, but i have considered relocating there from NJ myself and i have researched like a mad man for a month now. it all depends on what your looking for exactly. from what i understand the south part of texas has warm weather practically all year around, aside from hail storms and tornadoes if they even really ever occur. north texas is more like nj, where they have all four seasons, winter, summer, spring and fall. but even there if it does snow , i hear it melts away the next day.
as far as rent and home sale prices go, it seems to be the same avg price all around texas. of course you have your ranges in price. im not sure about the price ranges in vermont but compared to NJ, texas seems to be way more affordable.
i do hear that the bugs are bigger, the sun is hotter and if your a pizza lover, the pizza doesnt compare to NJ/NY but on the other hand our Mexican food cant touch theirs with a 10ft pole.
i would recommend once you narrow your search to a specific location of texas (san antonio, dallas, houston, lubbock, etc.) you try and find an educated realtor to help you out with any questions you may have and for what locations are good , bad or ugly. high crime areas, family occupied areas, or college towns filled with young college party goers.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:10 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,210,718 times
You might actually try Tyler and Longview areas. Affordable, jobs available, good school districts, smaller cities with all the creature needs w/country areas around them.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:04 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
Forney, TX which is outside Dallas.
Pottsboro, TX which is outside Denison/Sherman.
Weatherford, TX, west of Ft. Worth.
Decatur, TX, north of Ft. Worth.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:41 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,931 times
I agree with most of the cities listed. You might look at West Texas towns like Abilene and San Angelo which are reasonably close to DFW and Austin (3 to 4 hours) yet meet your other criteria. I could repeat about them exactly what Poltracker said about Tyler and Longview, "Affordable, jobs available, good school districts, smaller cities with all the creature needs w/country areas around them."

Old 03-08-2008, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 4,517 times
If you are trying to get away from the snow, have access to all the amentities of a big city while not living in a big city, great public education and is affordable then you should look at living in the Houston Metropolitian Area. It rarely snows in Houston and when it does it is very light. I personally suggest you look at Katy which is on the west side of Houston. The is very afforadable housing here and the schools are really good. Katy to Houston can be a bit of a drive and I-10 has a lot of traffic. However they are expanding I-10 to alleviate this.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:44 PM

4 posts, read 20,669 times
Look at Abilene. A nice bible belt-ish city of 115,000 with 3 private colleges, a nice AFB (Dyess) and all the amenities: a regional airport, very good medical facilities, good schools, nice shopping centers and stores, several museums, a zoo, an orchestra and theater, and lots of open space. Cost of living is very reasonable and virtually no traffic. Very little snow....just a few days/inches per year but can be hot (100s) in the summer with minimal rain. Lots of restaurants and churches. Definitely family oriented with strong western/Texas flavor. A couple of lakes and fairly flat land ( I miss the mountains and ocean). Far north enough from the Gulf to not worry about hurricanes but some concern for wildfires and tornados. 3 hours west of Dallas and off the I-20. Recommend the south side of town.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:33 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
You could look at Georgetown, north of Austin. It fits your criteria.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:45 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,950,515 times
I love the name of Forney TX.. a friend of mine vacationed there and said it was her FORNEY CATION.. I about died when she said that.

Corpus is affordable, as is El Paso.. you could look into them. I live in El Paso TX and have been pretty brutal about it.. but thats not to say it would not be a good fit for you.. come on in the El Paso sub-forum and ask there, they have many good people in there that can answer your questions about the city. Its about to grow like mad, so it maybe a perfect time to get in before the many soldiers do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas