Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 09:08 PM

8 posts, read 6,877 times

Advertisements

I am an inexperienced 23 year old who has only graduated high school.
Yet I am able bodied and I am tired of having slacked these past 6 years since graduation.
I am asking in this forum because I live in North Texas (Dallas) and know that work is in demand and there are tons of jobs out there in this state, yet I don't know where in particular. I just wanted to ask for suggestions on where to start looking. Construction, oil industry, or whatnot. I am very willing to get out there and have my own life already.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 09:52 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,265,022 times
Companies are hiring in Midland-Odessa.Maybe get a CDL and become a oilfield trucker.Netime

Old 05-21-2017, 01:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,600 posts, read 57,556,690 times
If you can't pass the CDL, move to one of the states with a high minimum wage (some are over $12/hr)

once you get that job, hopefully the employer will subsidize or reimburse for College.

I worked nights and went to school days. My employer reimbursed me for my degrees.

I have kept my CDL for 43 yrs, and it has brought home a lot of bacon. I like to drive hazardous loads and hazardous weather on weekend nights. Pay can be as much as 3x weekday job. OT can be good too, especially weekend and holidays. get a Federal job and bring home over $100k from an hourly position with weekend OT.

My Hourly jobs (with OT and night shift premium) paid far better than my professional / salary jobs.

ie... it is not too late yet.(but I would be moving out of North TX right away!)

Old 05-21-2017, 07:38 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,402,223 times
CDL - companies are crying for truckers. Plumber/electrical contractor help-with all the new construction, they also are crying for help-this vs general labor,which is pretty much take over by Mexicans-just a fact of life.

Apply for a Border Patrol or Customs job if you have a clean record.

Just some suggestions.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:20 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,420,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
CDL - companies are crying for truckers. Plumber/electrical contractor help-with all the new construction, they also are crying for help-this vs general labor,which is pretty much take over by Mexicans-just a fact of life.

Apply for a Border Patrol or Customs job if you have a clean record.

Just some suggestions.
You need a degree or related experience for the Border Patrol and Customs.

It varies by county, but corrections often pays a lot more than minimum wage. No experience is required. You can also apply for the state, but some state agencies are awful i.e. TDCJ.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:33 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,029,667 times
Have you looked at Utah? It is growing rapidly, has a lower cost of living than TX and lots of entry level jobs and wages are rising there.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,600 posts, read 57,556,690 times
CDL is not so ez to get (or to keep), but there are a lot of idiots with CDL's.... DOT is working on correcting that (For last `10 yrs)

Drugs / weed with bleep you off the "I want a CDL" list.

One DUI, and you are OUT (for life).

There are a LOT of very incompetent TSA employees in TX. (as everywhere). I think it is tough to get a job with TSA, but I can't imagine there is any criteria, other than no felonies. Brains or 'judgement' is certainly not a requirement. You will be shuffled away if you have "initiative' (as with many US Gov Jobs.)

Old 05-23-2017, 06:24 AM

1,158 posts, read 949,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Have you looked at Utah? It is growing rapidly, has a lower cost of living than TX and lots of entry level jobs and wages are rising there.
Utah is ridiculously expensive now. I am a native and have lots of family still there. They have very high state income tax. Their economy is primarily service based with low wages and too many Californians have moved there since the 90s driving up rents and housing. That's why I moved to Texas 20 years ago...LOL

Old 05-23-2017, 08:59 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,109,977 times
If qualified, joining the military and entering one of their educational programs is still a valid means of obtaining skills that will help insure employment upon return to private life. My own son is an excellent example of what I mean. He re-enlisted for 6 years in order to obtain various computer-related skills. He already had a job - with American Airlines - when he was discharged.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:10 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,970,249 times
Look into becoming a correctional officer in the Texas prison system. Texas Department of Criminal Justice It is a good career that doesn't require any college, you'll have free medical insurance, retirement, promotion potential, and other benefits including paid leave. Most units, if not all, work a 4-day-on, 4-day-off schedule. I had a 15 year career in the prisons as a mental health therapist and manager, and I loved it. I'm now at 22 years with the State and I'm looking at retirement eligibility at the age of 52.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas