Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 07:00 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
And I think you don't know nearly enough Texans. But where exactly in this country outside of the densest cities do you have a substantial number of people choosing to live without a car?.....

What it comes down to is the FACT that it can be done and people are doing it. Uber/Lyft have made it easier than ever.

If the OP wishes to cover the most ground, no other urban area in Texas can compare to DFW's commuter rail system. But intown transit is priority, San Antonio is tops, followed by Houston.
The necessity of having a car isn't a Texas thing, it's a US thing. The only thing I will say is that for being some of the biggest cities in the country, Houston and Dallas really should have better public transit.

It's fairly easy to live in small towns without a car because everything is so close together. The only problem is leaving town, if you need to. I taught high school in a small town in Missouri and most of my older students just walked to school or rode their bikes.

I don't think ridesharing is a viable alternative to "I don't have the money for a car". If someone doesn't have the money for a car, they likely don't have $10 to spend one way going to the store. Ridesharing is best for tourists or people who choose not to own a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 11:27 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The necessity of having a car isn't a Texas thing, it's a US thing. The only thing I will say is that for being some of the biggest cities in the country, Houston and Dallas really should have better public transit.

It's fairly easy to live in small towns without a car because everything is so close together. The only problem is leaving town, if you need to. I taught high school in a small town in Missouri and most of my older students just walked to school or rode their bikes.

I don't think ridesharing is a viable alternative to "I don't have the money for a car". If someone doesn't have the money for a car, they likely don't have $10 to spend one way going to the store. Ridesharing is best for tourists or people who choose not to own a car.
I didn't think I was saying it was an alternative, but it can definitely complement a "carless" lifestyle in which someone is using PT or a bike as their primary mode of transportation, and that's exactly how some are using it.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:39 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
You've just eliminated 95% of the USA. England (79th in geographic size) is fairly easy for a robust PT system. The USA (4th in geographic size) is not.

I second the recommendation to move to Chicago, if you absolutely refuse to learn to drive and buy/lease a car. Chicago is affordable and has a strong PT system. Just be very careful which neighborhood you choose.

Second on that list would be Denver. But really, if you intend to live long-term in the US, you do need to learn to drive and get a license. Then you can at least rent a car when you need one.
The OP might have to consider NYC. S.F. is another contender for consideration. MUNI is pretty good within the city-county and BART is very good up to the suburban train station for reverse trips.

Being dependent on public transport in the U.S. will limit your shopping errands to within the city core, where stores charge higher prices than their suburban big box locations. For example, shopping in the tourist district surrounding Chicago's Loop and Near North Side incurs a 10% sales tax, not including any sin taxes. Buying stuff in Manhattan is very expensive as if it felt like a convenience. And good luck hauling items back to S.F. on bart from Ikea in Emeryville (across the bay and adjacent to Oakland).

Coming the UK, adjusting to driving to the right side of the road is tricky but possible. But since you don't have any driving experience, it might not be too much of an issue. I think you managed the transition entering the bus on the starboard side instead of the port side already.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:57 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Being dependent on public transport in the U.S. will limit your shopping errands to within the city core, where stores charge higher prices than their suburban big box locations. For example, shopping in the tourist district surrounding Chicago's Loop and Near North Side incurs a 10% sales tax, not including any sin taxes. Buying stuff in Manhattan is very expensive as if it felt like a convenience. And good luck hauling items back to S.F. on bart from Ikea in Emeryville (across the bay and adjacent to Oakland)
Another area that ride sharing can help.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:00 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
I wonder if the OP realizes that just Texas is larger than Germany but much less densely populated. It doesn't make financial sense yet to have a European style public transit system in Texas so condemning us for not having it isn't fair. I love travelling in Europe without a car but the US isn't built like Europe.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:43 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Dallas... EASILY.

Then Houston, Austin, Ft. Worth, and San Antonio in that order.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:35 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Dallas... EASILY.

Then Houston, Austin, Ft. Worth, and San Antonio in that order.
Is it really easily though. DART does have higher rail ridership but Houston has higher bus ridership.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:04 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Thousands upon thousands of people live in Dallas without a car....Why cant you people be realistic sometimes.Yes a car would be easier but so would a limo driver driving you around.

Of course there are areas in Dallas that are kind of void of public transportation, but those areas are not the areas you would be fighting to get to. I think Dallas has a very good transportation system. Not many systems take you directly to the airport....In fact DART takes you to

* BOTH airports
* Every Business center in the entire metroplex
* All of the entertainment districts
* Numerous amount of Grocery stores
* Numerous shopping centers
* All of the Hospitals
* Almost all of the Major suburbs

And that's just rail service...We also have a pretty good bus system that compliments the ever expanding rail service.

People hate to admit the progression of Dallas...They want to keep it in the "Pathetic" box..

But its changing people....quickly!....

Open your eyes and quit the blind slandering.... Most people who say you can't live in Dallas without a car are the same people who would feel out of place having to walk everywhere when they visit New York....Good Grief

Old 06-10-2017, 08:03 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Is it really easily though. DART does have higher rail ridership but Houston has higher bus ridership.
You're going by ridership of available options.

I'm going by access to and amout of different options, as well as connectivity with other transportation authorities.

Houston may have higher bus ridership but Dallas just has a lot more to work with...

Old 06-11-2017, 12:32 AM

988 posts, read 1,828,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnostiko View Post
Hmmm, you guys have really put me off Texas, seemingly for the better. I don't have a car because I'm from England, where the cost of owning a vehicle is so ridiculously high many people choose to go without one, and it's possible to access at least 90% of the country via public transport.
I have to ask - how did you get from England to Dickinson, ND? Though it's been a number of years, I've been there. It's not exactly an easy destination to just happen upon and requires either a car or Greyhound. Though I suppose you could just live in town in Dickinson, I can't imagine it's that conducive to public transit. Also, having been there, you have to know there is a significantly different expectation on transit due to larger distance you had to travel to get to Dickinson. Not trying to be chauvinistic or jingoistic here, but it seems you don't understand what the States are about in regard to its size and therefore approach to transit.

Anyway, as far as cost - you need to realize while not cheap there is not the cost that seems to be in England to own a car, so I wouldn't use that as a reason to not have one here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The OP might have to consider NYC. S.F. is another contender for consideration. MUNI is pretty good within the city-county and BART is very good up to the suburban train station for reverse trips.
The OP mentioned they are looking for "low rent" and not spending on a car because of perception it's expensive. While Texas is not as cheap as it's perception, it's a steal compared to NYC or SF - which is why people from those areas are moving here. I'm not sure it's realistic to recommend the two most expensive cities in the States as an alternative to Texas, in spite of it being easier to support transit due to exceptionally high density.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas