Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 05:56 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times

Advertisements

Apparently we will have less visitors from California. Link here. Can they stop some of them from moving here?

Seriously, we can't stop international travel that poses a security risk but a California AG can prevent travel based on another state's policies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 06:19 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Well, just glanced at it, but yeah, states do that off and on (limit state employee travel). Was in Illinois recently, and the state employees were not allowed to travel into Iowa during the execution of their job. Resulted in extensive increase in travel time for some things on the west side....

And we (the U.S.) can block international travel (try traveling to Cuba). I am assuming you are conflating two entirely different things on purpose to troll, or are seriously misunderstanding something....

Old 06-23-2017, 07:18 AM

716 posts, read 539,890 times
governor moonbeam is just jealous of Tx and their growth, fiscal responsibility and conservitive values- in addition he is losing high paying tax payers to TX which is putting a hurt on the budget

Old 06-23-2017, 10:35 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Well, just glanced at it, but yeah, states do that off and on (limit state employee travel). Was in Illinois recently, and the state employees were not allowed to travel into Iowa during the execution of their job. Resulted in extensive increase in travel time for some things on the west side....

And we (the U.S.) can block international travel (try traveling to Cuba). I am assuming you are conflating two entirely different things on purpose to troll, or are seriously misunderstanding something....
No - I don't mean to troll. My cynicism just bubbles to the surface sometimes. President gets his travel limitations shut down by the SCOTUS but a governor can use a opinion of other states legally developed policy decisions to handicap (presumably) legitimate business travel within the country.

I recently had to turn down a potentially very benefical trip to Las Vegas due to sister agencies that had been caught behaving badly there. Leadership said no one goes to Vegas anymore.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:45 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
governor moonbeam is just jealous of Tx and their growth, fiscal responsibility and conservitive values- in addition he is losing high paying tax payers to TX which is putting a hurt on the budget
He isnt slightly jealous. California is preforming better than Texas economically right now.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:50 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
He isnt slightly jealous. California is preforming better than Texas economically right now.
Yeah it took Texas to be in a slump for CA to look better.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:05 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Yeah it took Texas to be in a slump for CA to look better.
Texas isnt in a slump were doing quite well outside oil. Dallas and Austin are going gangbusters. Houston is slumping but its still not bad. California has something that obviously works for them too. Why would they be jealous of us? I wouldnt be if I were CA outside affordable real estate.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Texas isnt in a slump were doing quite well outside oil. Dallas and Austin are going gangbusters. Houston is slumping but its still not bad. California has something that obviously works for them too. Why would they be jealous of us? I wouldnt be if I were CA outside affordable real estate.
I don't think they're jealous but in comparison to TX, Texas had to lose some of it's upward trajectory for CA to look even better right now. Dallas, Austin and San Antonio are doing better than Houston and Midland, and that's mostly due to the dip in oil prices. It doesn't mean Texas is bust but Houston and other oil-dependent cities brought down the average just a tinge. That's is what is making CA look much better than Texas at the moment.

Why is it that you transplants just focus on the affordable real estate? As though Texas doesn't have other things to offer? The cities have great big city amenities at a lower rate, there are decent parks, the state is pretty well developed, the jobs are plentiful, you can start over in Texas, there is wine country, hills, mountains, oceans, lakes. It's not nearly as pretty as other states including CA but why do you guys leave it at Texas is affordable?

I don't think the governor is jealous but what people like him in CA can't stand is a successful state that doesn't tow the liberal line. The idea is to combat what they perceive to be right wing tyranny. It's an inane idea and for some reason states like Texas are always in their crosshair.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:01 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
No - I don't mean to troll. My cynicism just bubbles to the surface sometimes. President gets his travel limitations shut down by the SCOTUS but a governor can use a opinion of other states legally developed policy decisions to handicap (presumably) legitimate business travel within the country.

[...]
The main difference, though, is that CA is not prohibiting anyone from going to Texas - only preventing state tax money from being used for state business in Texas. Those same state employees are quite able to go to Texas on vacation, visit family, etc. Largely symbolic, of course, but some places (like San Antonio) could lose out on a few dollars (very few) from some national conferences, etc. SCOTUS has never (to my knowledge) preventing the legislature from prohibiting federal expenditures in another country.

Conversely, I think it is also a critical difference that it doesn't prohibit all Texans from going to CA, which would be the equivalent 'travel limitation'. That is the parallel to the POTUS travel ban.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:03 PM

Why do they waste money like that on being an activist government? I don't like it when right wingers do the same but when left wingers do it they do stuff like this that is mostly symbolic and stupid. They just love to virtue signal and smell their own flatulence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas