Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 07:36 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times

Advertisements

Then why post in the Texas board? Good God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 07:42 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
Dallas or El Paso.

Dallas is a bona fide big city, lots of activities, ethnic food, anything you want, and pretty cheap. In some ways, it reminds me of Silicon Valley, where I grew up, so it just feels kinda natural for me.

El Paso has that unmistakable Latino vibe which I love, plus a desert setting which also makes me happy. It’s also big enough to be a bit insulated from the cartel problems.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:19 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,609 times
Lake Austin waterfront. It ain't cheap, but there are not many places in the United States where you have these views and outdoor recreational amenities, within a 15 minute drive of pretty vibrant downtown- 30 minutes if you are on the west side of the lake.

https://www.searchaustinlakehomes.co...searchid=87787

Old 08-05-2019, 08:28 PM

40 posts, read 45,198 times
Houston! It’s so awseome

Old 08-06-2019, 04:03 AM

570 posts, read 560,416 times
Austin. More preferably west Austin. Can't beat the scenic hill country and Lake Travis.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I wouldn't live anywhere in Texas.
Pretty sure that's a win-win.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:35 PM

135 posts, read 89,919 times
Somewhere out in West Texas, maybe in El Paso.

I love mountains, and rugged desert terrain is interesting. I love Big Bend, and El Paso is much closer to that area than where I live currently (Houston).

Second choice would be somewhere out in the Hill Country.

San Antonio and Austin have some charm, but I wouldn't want to live in either city.

As far as places I would never want to move to in Texas, living in Dallas would be just as bad as staying in Houston. I'd probably hate living in Amarillo even more than Dallas or Houston though. Aside from Palo Duro Canyon, the panhandle area is depressing.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I just looked up some interesting facts about migration and growth in Texas, and in Smith County/Tyler as well. Here they are if anyone is interested:

The latest census and IRS migration rates are from 2016 so I'll go with those. Tyler's net migration rate per capita is higher than Dallas, Houston, or Austin. In fact, there are only a handful of major metro areas in Texas with higher migration rates per capita than Tyler - such as Abilene, Bryan-College Station, Lubbock and San Angelo. It may come as a surprise to people that Tyler, TX is experiencing a very brisk growth rate, but it is.
https://demographics.texas.gov/Resou...UrbanTexas.pdf

Also, Tyler is unusual in this sense as well - already part of one of the youngest states (median age) in the US, Tyler's median age has actually dropped over the past few years - from 34 to 33, which is below the state's already low median age of 34.7. For some comparison, Maine's median age is nearly 45. The only state with a lower median age is Utah at 31.5. In fact, even hipster Austin got "older." The only two cities in Texas that "got younger" were Midland and Tyler.
https://www.businessinsider.com/stat...ge-map-2018-11
https://thetylerloop.com/youre-not-i...tting-younger/

Another interesting thing - Tyler is ranked #41 out of 228 cities when it comes to diversity. It also scores an A+ on both racial and economic diversity as well.
Moderator cut: links removed, competitor site

Texas is growing at a rate of about 1000 people per day, and about half of those people are moving in from other states or countries. That's about 182,500 people from different states or countries per year - and that's NET migration. Before 2017, most of the new folks in Texas came from other states. But that flipped in 2017 and now more people move to Texas from other countries than other states. https://www.keranews.org/post/where-...ulation-coming

Smith County (Tyler is the county seat of Smith County) is ranked not only as one of the most populous counties in Texas, but also one of the fastest growing - and much of that growth is from out of state and out of the country immigration.
https://demographics.texas.gov/Resou...sMigration.pdf
This site ranks counties by population size, and into five tiers - Smith County is in the fifth tier, along with counties which include Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio, Austin, Houston, etc.

Interesting demographic stats about Texas and Tyler/Smith County here - the times, they are a changin'!
https://demographics.texas.gov/Resou...atalyst100.pdf

I just wanted to share that since so many people (who don't live here) seem to think that Tyler, TX is some sleepy, quiet little town in East Texas.

Last edited by Yac; 08-12-2019 at 02:13 AM..

Old 08-20-2019, 11:32 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Austin

Old 08-21-2019, 10:32 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
I definitely wouldn't want to live in any densely populated area. Because of my love of fishing a waterfront home on Lake Sam Rayburn would be tops. Second would be a bay house on the Bolivar Peninsula. Would love West Texas so my 3rd choice might be along the shores of Lake Amistad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas