Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 08:02 PM

48 posts, read 152,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
Fort Worth is cheaper than Dallas. $700.00 will get you a place in Stop Six which is a very high crime area.
I was thinking $700-$900 for both of us, but we'd rather not be in an unsafe area. Living where neighbors can throw parties at three in the morning without consequence, where there's car accidents at two in the morning and where drunkards are plenty, we'd rather not go down a poor route.

We're paying $1,000 for the two of us in an apartment. We're not looking for anything ritzy, nor are we looking for anything dirt cheap and dangerous-just something affordable, safe and nice. Doesn't even have to be a traditional apartment, as I've heard of things called Budget Suites in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 08:16 PM

11,852 posts, read 26,850,435 times
Budget Suites is a extended stay motel.

Basically, you are going to be paying the same in rent in DFW as you are now in Vegas. As others have said, it's not that cheap here anymore.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:20 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,094,093 times
Austin is out then due to high housing costs, average 2 bedroom runs about $1350 here. Most expensive rental market in TX but DFW and Houston aren't far behind.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:32 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,402 times
Artsy, diverse, low rent, jobs, 50,000 population for sure is way to small a place in Texas. Something probably has "too go" on your list, maybe not, you will hear from others, I hope, with something that "fits", to this point, nothing is very close.

Your too far off, to try to "sell you on" my city, lol, as suiting your needs, not yet anyway. I try to be objective, it doesn't fit yet, for sure.

Best to you, we fully understand what you are "trying" to find, you state your "hopes/wants/needs" very clearly.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:37 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,210,557 times
Your rental budget is too low for a two bedroom in a good, safe area.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:44 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,295,537 times
I'd say go with the Fort Worth/Arlington area or San Antonio. If neither of those interest you, I'd look into Houston. Dallas and Austin will probably get on your nerves and seem pricey.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I'd say go with the Fort Worth/Arlington area or San Antonio. If neither of those interest you, I'd look into Houston. Dallas and Austin will probably get on your nerves and seem pricey.
With the latest comments assuming my requests were set in stone, you were the only one that offered any helpful input. Having lived in California, we're no strangers to high rent-which was one of the reasons why we moved to cheap ol' Vegas. As I mentioned in one post, we'd rather hit the pavement running for a good, safe apartment versus something that's dirt cheap in a filthy, dangerous area. If that weren't true, then this entire thread would be pointless because we're already living in filthy and dangerous.

Nothing is set in stone. We aren't moving tomorrow, even though we would love to. The move will take place in 6 months-1 year, allowing us to save more. If there are any more suggestions on safe, low crime apartment areas, share them with me-without assuming I'm searching for the lowest rent in history.

I'm starting to become interested in learning more about San Antonio and Arlington. Thank you.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:22 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,367,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belldandy07 View Post
With the latest comments assuming my requests were set in stone, you were the only one that offered any helpful input. Having lived in California, we're no strangers to high rent-which was one of the reasons why we moved to cheap ol' Vegas. As I mentioned in one post, we'd rather hit the pavement running for a good, safe apartment versus something that's dirt cheap in a filthy, dangerous area. If that weren't true, then this entire thread would be pointless because we're already living in filthy and dangerous.

Nothing is set in stone. We aren't moving tomorrow, even though we would love to. The move will take place in 6 months-1 year, allowing us to save more. If there are any more suggestions on safe, low crime apartment areas, share them with me-without assuming I'm searching for the lowest rent in history.

I'm starting to become interested in learning more about San Antonio and Arlington. Thank you.
Well I have spent a bunch of time in both towns....San Antone and Arlington.The part of town that feeds into Martin High School is the best part of town....i know school aint a issue...i was just telling u the best part of town.I would not worry too much about high crime rates if you are not involved in risky activities like the drug scene.San Antone is a good family-friendly town that has a lower cost of living.Plenty of call center and service sector jobs like stores and stuff like that since HEB is there.Best wishes.North/Northwest/Northeast sides of San Antone are real nice.I would up your budget if you want to try DFWA in a safe area.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:25 PM

1,158 posts, read 959,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belldandy07 View Post

You said your budget is 700-900. I would assume you are looking for a 2 bedroom. Your budget is not realistic for the market in DFW or Austin. I don't even think you could find Section 8 housing or low income restricted housing that low.

People are giving you honest feedback so you can plan appropriately and not end up in a bad situation.

Someone wanted to move from California recently and find a place for $500.00. That just does not exist.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
You said your budget is 700-900. I would assume you are looking for a 2 bedroom. Your budget is not realistic for the market in DFW or Austin. I don't even think you could find Section 8 housing or low income restricted housing that low.

People are giving you honest feedback so you can plan appropriately and not end up in a bad situation.

Someone wanted to move from California recently and find a place for $500.00. That just does not exist.
Unfortunately, the part about me not wanting us to end up in a filth-infested, dangerous area has been missed several times. So has the part about us not enjoying a cheap cost of living, only to end up living in something that's already heavily invested with filth. Hoping to find low rent in Texas that would allow us to live in a palace is lunacy. I'm not interested in finding something that cheap because why not just stay in Vegas? Vegas is probably cheaper than every city in Texas.

It's not the honest feedback I have issues with. Readers stopping after reading 'I was thinking $700-$900 for the both of us', losing the rest of the sentence, is a bit of a problem. If we must pay $1k+ for an apartment in a good area, tell me of the area. Tell me more. If it costs $2,500 for two bedrooms in Dallas, let me know. I came here for honest, detailed feedback, and to be pointed in the right direction.

So to hopefully prevent any more 'you only want to pay $700 for a good apartment? LOL you're stupid' responses, I'll look more into Arlington, Fort Worth and San Antonio for the moderately expensive options. All other options are still on the table.

Except for the cheap ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas