Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 12:23 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,283 times

Advertisements

I started posting this in the "House" forum, which I will link below, but based on the unwillingness of the neighbor to co-operate/contribute, I wanted to get any input from fellow Texans that I could.

The short story is the back fence looks terrible. With repairs, it could have some life left, but sections of it are in really rough shape. Both from wind and weather (rotting cross boards, boards popping off, previous repairs failing) and from lack of maintenance and from the renters putting a dirt bike through one section. And, aesthetically, it does not match our newer, upgraded side fences.

We obtained quotes to rebuild it in the same style as it is (as well as quotes to upgrade it like we would like.) We reached out to the owner via the property management company that manages it. (The owner lives in California currently and rents out the house.) Essentially the owner gave the property management company $650 to make repairs, and this applied to repairs all around the yard, not to just the shared portion. So essentially we were told to pound sand as the quote to rebuild it to like standard was $4k. More for our desired upgrades. The property management company wasn't even nice enough to alert us that they were proceeding with the so called "repairs". The "repairs" they did are terrible.

We are disappointed that the neighbor is not willing to help but can live with it. And we hate it, but we are willing to eat the entire cost of replacement. We are not happy with the communication from the property management company.

Now, based on the input from other neighbors, we do believe that the first owners of our own house erected the fence. This was about 2006. We bought the house in 2009. We did have a survey company come out last week. According to them, the metal posts are on the property line and the wooden boards are on our side of the property line. So, tentatively, our plan is this:

* dig up the existing metal posts and replace with taller posts, make deeper holes and use more concrete to set (we have a lot of wind out here) (from the quote: Posts - 2-3/8" x .065 ga set every eight feet 36" in concrete)
* Install 140' of 6' tall cedar fence, Rails - 2" x 4" treated (three per section); Pickets - 1" x 6" x 6' flat top cedar / Trim - 1" x 3-1/2" cedar
* Spray dark stain (both sides of back fence)

The question I suppose is this:

Do we re-install the metal posts where they were, or do we move everything to be inside our side of the property line?

If we try to move the posts and fence in too much, then I'm also going to have to dig up sprinkler heads all along the back fence and move them in a bit also. They are very close to the fence. No idea what cost that would add to this whole project.

I assume that the best way to protect ourselves would be to move everything so it is inside the line. Is an inch as good as a mile? That is, even if everything is just an inch or two inside our property line as opposed to 1 ft or more, is that good enough protection or prevention in case of any disputes?

Any input appreciated.

Here is the link to my previous post in the "House" forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/house...nes-texas.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 10:25 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
You don't have an HOA? Usually fencing upgrades are approved through them first.

If not then I can see going by the survey. I honestly thought you go by the property lines so your fence is right on the line and none of your property is counted by your neighbors.

You ought to let the rental neighbor know what you're doing, especially if they have dogs. Some of that mess will be on their side and if I was a renter, I'd want to know in advance. I don't know if your project will impact their sprinklers.

You also mentioned staining the wood back and front. I wouldn't worry about what the back side of the fence looks like facing the rental. Let them stain it if they want.

The only reason I'd put a fence inside my property lines is if I'm putting in a pool and have to have a safety fence around it.

Make sure the company takes the discarded fencing with them when they leave. Our neighbors had some fencing replaced and the old pieces sat on their front lawn by the curb for over a week. They had Lowe's do the job and they were extremely happy.

Now I'm not an expert or anything but if you want to save money and not worry about it - Just plant some fast growing bushes along the back fence and be done. If you don't have pets you don't have to worry about replacing it.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:06 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
You don't have an HOA? Usually fencing upgrades are approved through them first.
Nope!!

Quote:
If not then I can see going by the survey. I honestly thought you go by the property lines so your fence is right on the line and none of your property is counted by your neighbors.

You ought to let the rental neighbor know what you're doing, especially if they have dogs. Some of that mess will be on their side and if I was a renter, I'd want to know in advance. I don't know if your project will impact their sprinklers.
Yeah, I probably will give the renters a heads up. Not their fault that the owner and property management people are a$$es.

After I got off the phone with the prop. mgmt. co. this morning I was seriously tempted to move everything about a foot inside the property line and put chicken wire up on their side and a nice wood fence on our side. I've calmed down...a little. It's not worth it. But I still want to make sure that their ability to "tie in" is severely hampered and looks terrible on their side.

Quote:
Now I'm not an expert or anything but if you want to save money and not worry about it - Just plant some fast growing bushes along the back fence and be done. If you don't have pets you don't have to worry about replacing it.
My baby:

Old 07-20-2017, 02:01 PM

712 posts, read 841,177 times
.065 is borderline flimsy (on the metal posts) for a solid wood fence; I see those blown-over all the time (with all the fronts we get....)
better to spend a tiny bit more (retail = $10 more per post) and get contractor grade (0.095) A Strong Metal Fence Post is key to your install standing against gusting winds.
https://www.mccoys.com/shop/8-x-2-38...095/p.06090603

should be not more than +$200 to cost.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:38 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,565 times
Yeah you're only doing the back side of your yard - Unless your yard is huge. Now I was told that cedar has gone up because China isn't selling theirs . . . Something. I have no idea if that is still true but a builder told us that when we were looking at fencing about six months ago.

Love your pup! What a sweet face! Of course you want something sturdy and you want your dog safe. So the bushes are out even if you could plant something with thorns on their side. (kidding)

You might head down to your local building supply store and talk to someone there about your plans. Get some feedback. I don't know if you have Lowe's or HomeDepot but. . . If you do and you have an account, then you can charge the work done by them and interest free for . . ?? Not sure their time limit.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:38 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_nightowl View Post
Nope!!

Yeah, I probably will give the renters a heads up. Not their fault that the owner and property management people are a$$es.

After I got off the phone with the prop. mgmt. co. this morning I was seriously tempted to move everything about a foot inside the property line and put chicken wire up on their side and a nice wood fence on our side. I've calmed down...a little. It's not worth it. But I still want to make sure that their ability to "tie in" is severely hampered and looks terrible on their side.

My baby:
your dog is so cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas