Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 09:17 PM

506 posts, read 509,893 times

Advertisements

Or similar cities, where the properties are not good, high in crime? Can gentrification be possible?

Could a city like Killeen improve if a high-speed rail line or like opportunities happen? Can businesses grow in Killeen if Killeen is given a chance? All it takes is one major business to make a place grow. Dell did with Round Rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 04:30 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
Killeen's major business is the US Army. That's not going to change.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:15 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,144 times
I would think that if a high speed rail line were to go in, it would be around 20 miles east of Killeen, most likely in Temple. There may be a spur from the I-35 corridor along HWY 190 over to Killeen, but no main line connection.

I don't see gentrification as a possibility in Killeen. As stated by ChristieP, the major employer is the U.S. Army. Without a large draw of younger professional types, there is no basis for gentrification. Killeen is laser focused on one thing economically, siphoning money from the Soldiers, families, and civilian employees living in the area. Aside from economic basis for gentrification, there is also nothing to draw anyone other than those stationed at Fort Hood to the area. There just isn't a lot going on in Killeen. Temple and Belton, a bit to the east, have never relied solely on the existence of Fort Hood as the primary source of their respective economies.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:40 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,810 times
It was back in the 80's but I spent two years stationed at Ft. Hood and have to say no. Ft. Hood is the only thing the town has going for it and US Military bases attract a lot of seedy people who take advantage of the young soldiers.
Flattening it with bulldozers might fix it.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Compare Columbus, GA (Fort Benning) to Killeen, TX (Fort Hood). The main difference to me seems to be that Columbus also has a strong white collar, professional sector that is independent of Fort Benning. It's almost like two different cities. Killeen doesn't seem to have this - and nearby cities seem to, unlike Columbus, GA. So no, I don't think there's a fix for Killeen.

I lived off post in both cities when my husband was stationed at Fort Benning and then Fort Hood. I HATED living in the Killeen area and I really enjoyed living in the Columbus, GA area. Interesting since both military installations are huge and both play a big role in the local economies. But the differences were like night and day.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:23 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
No, Killeen is not fixable in the sense that you suggest.

Strike One: It is a military town. Others have discussed this. Means a large transient fairly low-income population.

Strike Two: It doesn't have any "good bones" like a historic downtown area or historic residential neighborhoods that would be good candidates for gentrification. The nearby cities of Belton, Temple, and Waco all have interesting downtown areas and historic residential neighborhoods. People in the region looking to build a cute business in a gentrifying downtown area or restore an old house are going to do that in Belton, Waco, definitely not Killeen.

Strike Three: Killeen is off the I-35 corridor so going to be of less interest to new businesses compared to Temple or Waco which are both closer to major cities and more central so they make better distribution hubs.

Strike Four: Local school district is poorly rated, especially compared to nearby Belton ISD and Midway ISD in Waco which serve more affluent populations. So young professional types with kids are much more likely to choose those cities.

If you want to catch onto a gentrifying city in the region then Waco is a MUCH better option. It's a university town and there is a lot of local money and interest in investing in the area.

Last edited by texasdiver; 07-24-2017 at 09:14 PM..

Old 07-24-2017, 08:35 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Whats to fix? Killeen is just a military town. Its like Lawton or Fayetteville. It doesn't need to be fixed, it just is what it is.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:10 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Compare Columbus, GA (Fort Benning) to Killeen, TX (Fort Hood). The main difference to me seems to be that Columbus also has a strong white collar, professional sector that is independent of Fort Benning. It's almost like two different cities. Killeen doesn't seem to have this - and nearby cities seem to, unlike Columbus, GA. So no, I don't think there's a fix for Killeen.

I lived off post in both cities when my husband was stationed at Fort Benning and then Fort Hood. I HATED living in the Killeen area and I really enjoyed living in the Columbus, GA area. Interesting since both military installations are huge and both play a big role in the local economies. But the differences were like night and day.
Agreed. Being familiar with both metros.

Columbus is a city with a military base.

Fort Hood is a military base with a city.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:00 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,158 times
They have Interstate 14 running thru the city might attract new industries, Amazon probably coming soon.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:06 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Yes Interstate 14 could be the catalyst that can draw industry there. That and I think the growth of TAMU is very important. If those two come to pass, I think the town is indeed fixable. Outside of that, no. The city definitely needs to attract more industry because while the population is going up, so is the crime. It has now go to the point where the military and school district shouldn't be the top industries. It's indeed very much like Lawton, Ok. I don't know much about Fayetteville, NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: