Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:23 AM

420 posts, read 403,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Customer service in Austin sucks. The slacker culture pervades. I had to call TxTag 8 years ago while in California for a quick question. The two hour time difference didn't help! It seems that the rep just woke up out of bed because he kept yawning and sounded drowsy. He kept on taking his sweet time (perhaps twittling his thumbs?) checking on his computer when looking up my account and for answers to my questions.

Another incident happened about 6 weeks ago at Cane's in Cedar Park. It's bad enough that prices are slightly higher than in Houston (it's a $1 more for the Box combo), but they didn't call my name or look for me while bringing the basket to my table. They stayed silent and waited for me to pick it up at the counter.

Waco - the Vatican of the Baptists. Enough said! I would advise limiting road trips between other Texas cities and staying on the interstate as much as possible if you have/choose to visit other Texas towns or leave the state. Many rural towns depend on speeding tickets on big-city slickers for their revenue, but the speed limit on the interstates have been raised to 70 MPH, diverting resources to U.S./state highway traffic.
This post should be printed and framed as a "what's gone wrong with the world today".

You couldn't shirk your tolls!
They wouldn't bring you your box of grease, but made you wait for it!
You can't ignore a speed limit through town!

The. Horror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 01:17 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersWon310 View Post
Houston is definitely the city to be in -- however TX has many cities. TX is not a two big or three big city state, like most states.
Sounds like you made your choice!

Old 07-26-2017, 01:19 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersWon310 View Post
Jen,

Austin is the capital - and should not really have that stuck up vibe.
How many capital cities in America have that stuck up feeling? None.

Thanks for the heads up on the rural area story/advise. It is people like you that make things easy. What's your top 3 fav city's of TX?
Dallas, Fort Worth, and the mid-cities between them.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:24 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
This isn't 1980 anymore. The city of Dallas & Dallas County are in no way shape or form the hotbed of GOP conservatism or the center of the Evangelical Bible Belt. They definitely are moderately liberal and all it takes is a quick look at the past election results... Hillary won over 61% of Dallas County compared to 52% or something down in Harris County (Houston). Even so, the Bible Belt extends throughout much of Texas, including parts of metro Houston. Both metros have conservative suburbs. Same with suburban Austin. Dallas is also a more LGBT friendly city than Houston. Most in Dallas proper are Catholic, not Evangelical Christian.

OP, Dallas is actually a great place for a Californian. In some ways, it has that wannabe LA vibe -- clubs with bottle service, materialism & flashiness, image conscious population, tons of high end and luxury shopping & restaurants, etc. Not all of Dallas is like that, but it stands out more in comparison to Austin and Houston. Houston and Dallas also receive more transplants from Cali than Austin. I'd at least visit Dallas and give it a second chance, and I mean the actual city. Not some obscure suburb 40 miles away. Check out Uptown, Victory Park (American Airlines Center especially!), Deep Ellum (more eclectic), etc.
Thank you for posting this. I was about to rip KerrTown a new one for his constant inaccurate portrayals of Dallas. He is notorious for posting ridiculous things about Dallas that he clearly knows nothing about. I'm sick of his stereotypes and lies about Dallas.

Dallas the center of the Bible Belt? Liberal ol Dallas? Get real. Having lived in both, I don't find Houston less or more religious than Dallas at all. In fact I'll say for certain Dallas is more liberal than Houston. Houston is more libertarian.

Also, to the OP, more Californians relocate to Dallas than Austin or Houston. If it were a terrible place for Californians, they wouldn't be flooding there. Way more people from LA move to Dallas than Houston. That was our first stop when we moved to Texas. We do love Houston and are happy to be here but we loved Dallas too.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:04 AM

515 posts, read 558,317 times
Between the 2 cities you are considering OP, the short answer I would give you is: Are you over 30? If so = Houston. If not = Austin.

Being from CA originally, l can give you my perspective on the TX triangle cities:
Houston positives: most diverse, big city amenites, high salaries, still affordable housing, close to the gulf
Downsides: most uncomfortable climate, the gulf is not the Pacific

Austin positives: most health conscience, most scenic, outdoorsy, festive, trendy, crunchy, liberal, tech savvy and educated (and they will let you know it lol). Also the home of my Horns!
Downsides: as a westerner, the Hill Country was very underwelming, Austin feels the most overcrowded, also the least affordable in Texas.

Dallas: the best urban environment IMHO, good light rail, also very healthy and fit(contrary to popular belief), LOTS of jobs! All pro sports, best spring and fall in the triangle.
Dowsides: Dallas isn't the best in all things (diversity, scenery, afforability, most laid-back, touristy) but is a very solid well-rounded city. But I would say having being the most spread out with too many freeways.

Fort Worth and San Antonio = my favorite TX cities: friendliest, lots to do, affordable, jobs and true old Texan vibe.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:10 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,117,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite76 View Post
Bull****. Literally garbage.

We have to stay somewhere for the RRR. No sense in hating it.

That said, you have a very outdated (and incredibly biased and unfounded) view. Come live in Austin for a while. Your mind will change.
How about you come live in Dallas. Maybe YOUR mind will change.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:12 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,117,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
Between the 2 cities you are considering OP, the short answer I would give you is: Are you over 30? If so = Houston. If not = Austin.

Being from CA originally, l can give you my perspective on the TX triangle cities:
Houston positives: most diverse, big city amenites, high salaries, still affordable housing, close to the gulf
Downsides: most uncomfortable climate, the gulf is not the Pacific

Austin positives: most health conscience, most scenic, outdoorsy, festive, trendy, crunchy, liberal, tech savvy and educated (and they will let you know it lol). Also the home of my Horns!
Downsides: as a westerner, the Hill Country was very underwelming, Austin feels the most overcrowded, also the least affordable in Texas.

Dallas: the best urban environment IMHO, good light rail, also very healthy and fit(contrary to popular belief), LOTS of jobs! All pro sports, best spring and fall in the triangle.
Dowsides: Dallas isn't the best in all things (diversity, scenery, afforability, most laid-back, touristy) but is a very solid well-rounded city. But I would say having being the most spread out with too many freeways.

Fort Worth and San Antonio = my favorite TX cities: friendliest, lots to do, affordable, jobs and true old Texan vibe.
I think hornraider really sums it up.

But OP, what other criteria are you looking for? Maybe that will help narrow it down.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:23 AM

515 posts, read 558,317 times
Quote:
Customer service in Austin sucks. The slacker culture pervades. I had to call TxTag 8 years ago while in California for a quick question. The two hour time difference didn't help! It seems that the rep just woke up out of bed because he kept yawning and sounded drowsy. He kept on taking his sweet time (perhaps twittling his thumbs?) checking on his computer when looking up my account and for answers to my questions.

Another incident happened about 6 weeks ago at Cane's in Cedar Park. It's bad enough that prices are slightly higher than in Houston (it's a $1 more for the Box combo), but they didn't call my name or look for me while bringing the basket to my table. They stayed silent and waited for me to pick it up at the counter.

Waco - the Vatican of the Baptists. Enough said! I would advise limiting road trips between other Texas cities and staying on the interstate as much as possible if you have/choose to visit other Texas towns or leave the state. Many rural towns depend on speeding tickets on big-city slickers for their revenue, but the speed limit on the interstates have been raised to 70 MPH, diverting resources to U.S./state highway traffic.
So Austin is all poor customer service, and Dallas is full of conservative Evangelicals. Houston must be San Diego-on-the-gulf....LMFAO

Old 07-26-2017, 09:25 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,845 times
We have a thriving Muslim community, and the 5 time NBA champion Spurs in San Antonio.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:45 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:

Just so you know, OP, how to avoid this (from someone who spends a LOT of time driving Farm to Market and county roads through the rural towns). It's really easy; basically, you obey the speed limit. You are "trapped" in this fashion:

You're toodling along down the Farm to Market at 70 in a 65. You come upon a sign that says Speed Limit 55. You slow down to 55, knowing that you will shortly come to a speed limit sign saying 45. Then another one, usually saying 40. Each time, you slow down to the speed limit, knowing that they are there because the highway goes right smack dab through the middle of town passing schools and "downtown" traffic, etc. Then, as you leave town, you come upon a sign that says speed limit 45, and then 55, and then back up to 70. These signs are always, in my experience, clearly visible to anyone paying the slightest bit of attention to their driving, so you'll do fine.

If you're lucky, you'll see some BBQ or Mexican or home cooking dive in one of the small towns because you're not driving like a bat out of hell through them and have some of the best eating you never imagined existed in such a place. (I'm not sharing where they are; as a confirmed foodie I know better than to let the masses know because they'll ruin it. Just explore a bit; your taste buds will thank you. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas