Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 2,809 times

Advertisements

Hello, one-and-all. I live in a rural section of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. I am a certified teacher (grades EC-6 and ESL qualified) as well as having 18 years of experience in administrative/clerical/call center work and 14 years in security work--everything from door patrol to shipping assistance to defacto s ite supervision. Yet with all my expertise, I can secure neither a full time teaching position, nor a security position...heck, not even a call center job!!! You see, in the area of DFW where I live, minorities (especially STRAIGHT minority MEN, of which I am one) are NOT SUPPOSED to have my qualifications...and are certainly NOT SUPPOAED to want jobs in which they can use said skills--UNLESS they have lived in this area ALL THEIR LIVES or EMBRACE AN UN-GODLY LIFESTYLE (see above). Since neither of these stipulations have or will ever apply to lil' ol' me, I am now faced with the dilemma of relocating to somewhere OTHER than my current location; to that end, I have decided to try my hand in a new place--I am choosing between Waco, Temple or Killeen. The question is: WHICH ONE??? I am posting this statement in order to get any and all prayers/advice/tips on where to make this obviously-life-altering move. I welcome any tips, as well, on where to apply for work in my chosen fields (again, see above). Please HELP!!! Sign me:

Desperate in Dallas😢😢😞
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 10:01 AM

5,468 posts, read 7,761,908 times
I'm a former teacher in Waco. But I know the whole area well.

My vote is for Waco. Easily the nicest city of the 3 for someone single. No one likes living and teaching in Killeen. Super transient population. Ugly city. Difficult schools. I did know some Killeen ISD teachers that lived in Waco and drove to Killeen though.

Temple is OK but most people would recommend living and teaching in next door Belton which is nicer and has better schools.

Waco wil give you the most job options. Waco ISD is always hiring. Schools are difficult but wages will be the highest in the area. The more affluent districts are Midway, China Spring and Lorena but those will be harder to get into. There are other smaller districts around Waco that frequently hire but pay will be less than Waco ISD.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:59 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,282,581 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...ving-waco.html

Isn't this the same topic?

Old 07-26-2017, 08:08 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,405,462 times
Waco

Old 07-27-2017, 01:13 PM

20,523 posts, read 33,582,777 times
None of the three are actually all that great. Waco is the more established town with the addition of having a nice sized university in town.

Temple is meh. It's like the retirement town with a very large influential hospital. In Bell County, it's more established than Killeen though is about two times smaller.

Killeen is younger than both cities and more transient. Very sprawly with rising crime. I personally don't care for any of this part of Texas (Waco,Temple, or Killeen). Very boring mediocre place. Which is why we found ourselves in Austin most of the time.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:21 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,405,462 times
didnt you already post this topic,OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas