Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:20 AM

694 posts, read 836,015 times

Advertisements

Yes......we need more rail, and better connections between all our cities.

Our current rail service is a national embarrassment, and a great many countries have done it better.

A well executed rail transport system contributes greatly to the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 01:32 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugLandDAd View Post
Yes......we need more rail, and better connections between all our cities.

Our current rail service is a national embarrassment, and a great many countries have done it better.

A well executed rail transport system contributes greatly to the economy.
The state basically needs to follow DFW's lead as far as rail goes.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:13 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The state basically needs to follow DFW's lead as far as rail goes.
DART doesn't get enough credit. Clean cars (and stations), frequent trains, inexpensive. It's a great system.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:51 AM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
DART doesn't get enough credit. Clean cars (and stations), frequent trains, inexpensive. It's a great system.
I don't know about you, but it gets a TON of credit in Ft. Worth.

Our system (FWTA) is a bit behind the curve...

Old 08-07-2017, 07:08 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
I think the anti-rail people's arguments are hilarious
Taking people's property? if we had been thinking like that 70 years ago, we wouldn't have a national highway system
Cost too much money? How much money do you think it cost to build a 6 lane highway.... and it's obvious that highway maintenance is more expensive

Old 08-07-2017, 09:47 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I think the anti-rail people's arguments are hilarious
Taking people's property? if we had been thinking like that 70 years ago, we wouldn't have a national highway system
Cost too much money? How much money do you think it cost to build a 6 lane highway.... and it's obvious that highway maintenance is more expensive
Amen. The state is spending $7 billion over 7 years just to reroute I-45 in Houston and add managed (ie toll) lanes to the freeway. A project that will undoubtedly end the same way the I-10 expansion did - congested anyway.

What's the latest cost estimate for this high speed rail project, $15-$20 billion? Seems like a bargain for something that won't have capacity issues anytime in the foreseeable future.

Transportation is expensive no matter how we go about it and we all pay for it one way or another. Might as well be smart about how we approach our busiest corridors.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:23 AM

6 posts, read 5,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Most of us don't (or can't) participate in extensive foreign travel, and are more concerned about mobility in the real world, on our own schedule and at our own convenience, rather than chosen by bureaucratic fiat in the name of some supposed "greater common good".
I genuinely feel sorry for people who don't travel. There is a big world out there you know, and you'll never know what you're missing.

Re rail, I believe it's the future, so much more relaxing, watch the world go by as you work or just chill with a beer on your way home.

Nothing better than rail travel.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:54 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Re: Mentality -- You're right that we're not Europe, but not everyone in Texas wants to be a slave to his/her own car. Many live in urban centers and would like better alternatives.
Then head to the airport and fly to whatever other urban center you're traveling.

We can't afford to build something that is unnecessary, redundant, and costly (like HSR) when our existing infrastructure is undersized and in disrepair. And those of us who don't live in urban centers don't want our (or others') land being confiscated.

If HSR was an economically viable, the private sector would have already built the line and placed it into service.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:22 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Then head to the airport and fly to whatever other urban center you're traveling.

We can't afford to build something that is unnecessary, redundant, and costly (like HSR) when our existing infrastructure is undersized and in disrepair. And those of us who don't live in urban centers don't want our (or others') land being confiscated.

If HSR was an economically viable, the private sector would have already built the line and placed it into service.
But you're okay with your land being confiscated for a freeway or tollroad? I don't want highways going through my urban core either!

How is travel via single occupancy vehicle considered efficient? And the costs of highways?

Old 08-08-2017, 11:36 PM
JJG

I wonder if people were using that argument back in the 50s when the Interstate was built...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas