Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2019, 06:28 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Yes I agree Houston is more of a global destination due to the TMC being a Global destination plus its position as a Global Leader in the Energy industry. Also Houston has 93 foreign consulates. Houston is recognized globally as a leader in cultural diversity. I wont go into detail but Houston has several Cultural treasures. Houston is home to the Hoghest rated University in the state of Texas
Honestly it’s 2019 and the DFW region is just as diverse as the Houston region at this point, so that’s really not that impressive at this point.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:12 PM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Honestly it’s 2019 and the DFW region is just as diverse as the Houston region at this point, so that’s really not that impressive at this point.
In all honesty, while DFW is super diverse, it definitely is not as diverse as greater Houston. I say that as someone who respects the DFW area very much. I think DFW has a brighter outlook than Houston currently too.

But no it isn’t as diverse.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:47 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
In all honesty, while DFW is super diverse, it definitely is not as diverse as greater Houston. I say that as someone who respects the DFW area very much. I think DFW has a brighter outlook than Houston currently too.

But no it isn’t as diverse.
Nothing in my post stated DFW was more diverse and to be quite honest I really don’t care if Houston is more diverse. It has no effect on my life whatsoever. It wins no cool points from me considering the metro I live in is diverse. That talking point is pretty old, out dated, and irrelevant at this point when comparing the two.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:59 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Nothing in my post stated DFW was more diverse and to be quite honest I really don’t care if Houston is more diverse. It has no effect on my life whatsoever. It wins no cool points from me considering the metro I live in is diverse. That talking point is pretty old, out dated, and irrelevant at this point when comparing the two.
I agree..along with the Rice University speal...I even remember posting the Houston Amazon denial letter with them pointing out how Houston lacked in the University department.....even including Rice.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:56 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
You said the DFW region is as diverse in 2019. If that’s not what you meant what did you mean?

Old 11-12-2019, 08:24 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Houston is more diverse, but in 2019 they are actually pretty close. Both are some of the most diverse areas in the country/ world.

Same with the food scene. I think Houston's is marginally better, which some Houstonians take and run with, but really they are both close.

As far as education goes both cities punch under their weight. I say this as the Alumni of a Dallas area university. For the 4th and 5th largest metros respectively they both punch under their weight, especially when it comes to flagship research universities.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:28 AM

355 posts, read 469,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
As far as education goes both cities punch under their weight. I say this as the Alumni of a Dallas area university. For the 4th and 5th largest metros respectively they both punch under their weight, especially when it comes to flagship research universities.
This, I completely agree.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:08 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,403,017 times
Quote:
respectively they both punch under their weight, especially when it comes to flagship research universities.
Finally in 2019 the University of Texas in Dallas has decided that Richardson won't give it cooties and it's expanding it's student population and becoming a real university. In another decade, Dallas will have a least one big public flagship university near it's city limits. It's interesting that both SMU and TCU have larger student populations than a school like Notre Dame, but their respective reach is so much less it's not even funny.

The Dallas area's university population is almost comically sad. At least Houston has the UofH.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:20 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
UPDATE:

I was in Dallas/Ft. Worth for a few days earlier this year and I didn't much care either area, but I think it comes down to personal preferences. I can see why Texans like it, and why some people would like living there though. I liked the people/food/vibe much more in Houston, although both areas are probably more similar than different, excluding weather. The LA/Dallas comparison is a little overblown though. I'd say Atlanta is a better basis of comparison since they're both Southern. A few people have said Dallas seems more mid-Western than Southern, but I disagree.

On the other hand, I was also recently in Austin and it's really booming these days though; so much construction and high-rises popping up everywhere.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:50 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Finally in 2019 the University of Texas in Dallas has decided that Richardson won't give it cooties and it's expanding it's student population and becoming a real university. In another decade, Dallas will have a least one big public flagship university near it's city limits. It's interesting that both SMU and TCU have larger student populations than a school like Notre Dame, but their respective reach is so much less it's not even funny.

The Dallas area's university population is almost comically sad. At least Houston has the UofH.
Sad??!!!......and we first runner up fot amazon.

UTA pop was 60,000 alone fall 2019...UNT...42,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas