Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 10:55 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Yet Houston had more urban growth in population than Dallas did, despite the larger city limits.
....and how are you so positive about that?.......Prove it.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:03 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
...Uhh....ok....I was wrong..it was actually OVER 60,000

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...ton/vp-BBTsUlQ
That enrollment is inflated with part time NOT full time. Same thing with A&M because they include affliate campuses.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:06 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Yeah, but those are 2nd or 3rd tier schools.

Yes, UTA is considered a R1 University, but it just isn't a very prestigious school. Only the Shanghai Ranking considered it a top 200 program and you have to wonder if that has something to do with it being a bit of a diploma mill for international students.

UTA has a few programs that are well ranked. UNT does as well.

For a metro our size though we punch under our weight. Think of all the great schools in SoCal. Think of all the great schools in Chicagoland. Think of all the great schools in Greater Boston, Philly or NY. Heck, even Atlanta.

Rice is highly ranked academically and certainly puts Houston over Dallas, but doesn't put Houston up there with Boston, Chicago, LA, Bay Area, Philadelphia, DC etc.

If TAMU or UT were located in either city you could have a conversation. Texas universities are much more tiered than their Californian Counterparts which overall has amazing Public Universities that are less Top Heavy.
Rice is a great school but really its SMALL, maybe what 5,000 student body? And having grown up in Philly, outside of Ivy Penn, schools are not world renowned or substantial in size. California schools can't be beat. Chicago with NW and University of Chicago are pretty good but I'd say L.A. has more top notch schools.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
That enrollment is inflated with part time NOT full time. Same thing with A&M because they include affliate campuses.
Who cares....enrolled part-time or full time you are still an enrolled student...

That's like saying...."yeah he plays for the Lakers but he's under 7 feet so he's not really an NBA player"....

Old 11-14-2019, 12:29 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
If you had been to UTA and UT’s campuses you’d know the difference. UTA is trying to encourage students to live on campus, but it still is really a commuter school, and not a prestigious one at that. I’m saying who lived close to UTA about a year ago.

Old 11-14-2019, 02:35 PM

If you eliminate part time students from ANY college or university the student pop would go down...

You guys just water down everything when it comes to DFW.

Old 11-14-2019, 02:44 PM

638 posts, read 568,848 times
UTA, I went there in 1972. My best friend graduated from there, He was far more successful financially than me. I was from West Texas. I grew up there. I felt less than others always. I did get my BBA from North Texas, Master from Texas Tech. We Turners admired our Kilgore Oklahoma relatives more. The Kilgores were far more understanding life spirituality than we Turners. We Turners were good people as taught by Grandama Turner. We were just primitive

Old 11-14-2019, 03:09 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Rice is a great school but really its SMALL, maybe what 5,000 student body? And having grown up in Philly, outside of Ivy Penn, schools are not world renowned or substantial in size. California schools can't be beat. Chicago with NW and University of Chicago are pretty good but I'd say L.A. has more top notch schools.
Socal is likely #2 after Boston for Great Universities. California as a whole is unmatched, though it also has the largest population.

Old 11-14-2019, 09:31 PM

638 posts, read 568,848 times
My point is despite your background the culture in DFW is education, to get ahead in life. It was not that way in West Texas where I came from. I went to Irving High and lived in old south Irving. But even there we were encouraged. I was from a poor family dad was a mechanic. I got a BBA from North Texas, Master from Texas Tech because they took me in and i could afford them. I left school owning no money. But that was many years ago. I fear for the students now.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:46 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,165 times
Default Dallas

If Dallas is flashier it's not because the people make more money there or because the incomes are any higher. That's for sure. I think they just have a bigger ego . The same goes for Atlanta only in Atlanta the jobs pay even less but they still have a bigger ego.
Houston is doing just fine on being upscale. The River Oaks area and the Boulevard-uptown are developing very nicely. Meanwhile midtown, montrose and the museum district are forming a nice hipster area along with the heights. Heck even eado is following suit. Then there's West U , Bellaire and the Med Center area there is also memorial city , tanglewood the memorial villages etc., etc., etc. It is overkill. I mean come on. What else do you need? How dog gone much upscale do you need? What else do you want? Park Avenue and Rodeo drive? Kensington Place and the 7th arrondissement? Then you'll be happy? Well neither Houston nor Dallas will ever be on that level. So if you want those things then move to Paris or London, New York or LA.

Last edited by jd433; 11-15-2019 at 10:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas