Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2019, 09:16 PM

638 posts, read 568,486 times

Advertisements

We Texans are used to the heat. We know heat. We may not not know cold very well but heat we can do. If Texans are given a choice we will do heat in the future. We do cold, ice very very poorly. As long as we are given warm temperatures in the future we are good.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:13 PM

Texas has a hot climate. North Texas has brutal heat. That heat in North Texas is painful. We in Dallas just suffer through it. We are used to it. Do not think Dallas heat is easy or forgiving. Dallas is a brutal climate. We live here because it is gives us unlimited opportunties to better oneself. With Dallas you have unlimited opportunity to better yourself.
West Texans like us moved to Dallas for work Dallas had jobs that paid at the end of the week. In Dallas they paid you every pay day. Trust me getting paid every single week was a change. It was different from West Texas.
In Dallas the employers would pay a decent wage for good work. In Dallas they paid decent wages They doi not have to be from the proper schools. Dallas Fort Worth is full of aerospace people. We make airplanes.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
Texas has a hot climate. North Texas has brutal heat. That heat in North Texas is painful. We in Dallas just suffer through it. We are used to it. Do not think Dallas heat is easy or forgiving. Dallas is a brutal climate. We live here because it is gives us unlimited opportunties to better oneself. With Dallas you have unlimited opportunity to better yourself.
West Texans like us moved to Dallas for work Dallas had jobs that paid at the end of the week. In Dallas they paid you every pay day. Trust me getting paid every single week was a change. It was different from West Texas.
In Dallas the employers would pay a decent wage for good work. In Dallas they paid decent wages They doi not have to be from the proper schools. Dallas Fort Worth is full of aerospace people. We make airplanes.
Compared to where I was from in West Texas Dallas people paid you like they said. In Dallas you actually got paid. We Turners were blown away in Dallas. Those people kept their word and paid their bills. In Dallas you did the work and the people paid their bill. We fixed alternators starters to perfection and the customers paid us. They did not cheat us. Dallas was amazing. In Dallas our customers actually paid their bills.In Dallas you worked with honorable people.

Old 11-18-2019, 10:57 PM

In Dallas you never felt cheated. You were paid fairly. People paid their bill. In Dallas business was taken seriously. Dallas people were dependable. Even we poor workers were treated fairly.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Darn, if Dallas could just have weather like San Diego and Mountains like Seattle oh and throw in beaches like Hawaii. Oh, and keep the housing prices the same then I'll be happy and move there.
Alas Dallas will be always brutally hot in the summer. Dallas is an intellectual city that is environmentally tough. It is brutal hot in the summer. Never move to Dallas unless you can survive that heat.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:22 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Darn, if Dallas could just have weather like San Diego and Mountains like Seattle oh and throw in beaches like Hawaii. Oh, and keep the housing prices the same then I'll be happy and move there.
I mean there is a good reason Dallas and Houston are cheap. They have bad climates and below-average scenery.

The great thing is that they have plenty of great jobs, culture and food. For what you get in those departments they are a good deal for the price if you can tolerate the environment. Even better if you are in the minority of people who actually like the environment, in that case, you struck gold.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:31 AM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1953 View Post
Alas Dallas will be always brutally hot in the summer. Dallas is an intellectual city that is environmentally tough. It is brutal hot in the summer. Never move to Dallas unless you can survive that heat.
Dallas is an "intellectual" city ? lol I guess it may seem that way to some....

Old 11-19-2019, 10:57 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I mean there is a good reason Dallas and Houston are cheap. They have bad climates and below-average scenery.
They're cheaper because the land is cheap.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:57 AM

577 posts, read 457,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
It's mostly because land is cheap. The scenery and climate haven't changed, yet prices have been rising in both cities, so it's definitely due to the availability of land.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:29 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
It's mostly because land is cheap. The scenery and climate haven't changed, yet prices have been rising in both cities, so it's definitely due to the availability of land.
What do you think makes the land cheap? Yeah. Lack of scenery and icky climate. People will pay a premium for natural beauty.

Not just the availability of land. I mean certainly, that is a factor but no, that isn't all of it. It's supply and demand and a big driver of the demand side are things is if people want to live there to begin with.

People want to live in different places for lots of different reasons but jobs is a major one. You can't eat the scenery. That said, a pretty place with opportunity will cost more than a meh place with the same opportunity, other factors aside.

Denver and Dallas both have nearly unlimited land to sprawl to, but even though jobs pay about the same, people are willing to pay a premium to live in Denver vs Dallas.

I mean clearly not everyone, but enough that Denver has more expensive housing.

Places with bleh scenery and bleh climates can become expensive because they are in an urban setting which provides jobs and economic value.

I mean look at land for sale. Why do you think money in the rural hill country costs more than land in the panhandle? It's prettier and people will pay a premium or that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas