Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2019, 01:50 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times

Advertisements

One of the neatest things in Houston is the Water wall. Its the only thing That Dallas can't compete with(unless you count Fountain Place Fountains. Other than that Houston is not more aesthetically Pleasing than Dallas......anybody will tell you that.....And I love Houston.....it's just not Dallas.

Old 11-25-2019, 02:13 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Im sorry but thats not true.

The rail line runs right through the TMC and its an extremely walkable area. Youre right that a lot of Dr. live elsewhere, but a lot live close by in adjacent West U or the Rice Village area. A lot of nurses live extremely close as well.

Comparing it to Frisco is extremely unfair.
It is in an urban location but the design itself is more similar to a suburban office campus than an urban one.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7063...7i16384!8i8192

This isn't very urban^ It could be in Plano, which by the way, a rail line also runs through.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7095...7i16384!8i8192

This is just about the only "Urban" area where you have street-level stuff going on. Otherwise, it is hospitals, and parking garages all crunched together. It's got less going on than 2002 Downtown Dallas. Sure people work there, but besides people walking to and from their cars there isn't much going on on the street level.

It isn't made up for as if it is a campus and one or more sides outside the hospital and across the street from the compound are full of shops and cafes and such that cater to the urban workforce as they go to and from the med center....you have strip malls down the roads too and from.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7105...7i13312!8i6656

Anyway, the TMC has an urban location, in that it is near the city centre, but the actual area is far from urban in design and looks like a big suburban office campus designed around the car like the rest of Houston.

Old 11-25-2019, 02:44 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
One of the neatest things in Houston is the Water wall. Its the only thing That Dallas can't compete with(unless you count Fountain Place Fountains. Other than that Houston is not more aesthetically Pleasing than Dallas......anybody will tell you that.....And I love Houston.....it's just not Dallas.
Many people are saying otherwise as well. I've heard it said many times the nicest parts of Houston are more pleasant than the nicest parts of Dallas. BTW I remember your own bad self posting many moons ago that Dallas had nothing to compare to Hermann Park either. So that's 2 features and counting.

Old 11-25-2019, 03:00 PM

1,168 posts, read 777,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Many people are saying otherwise as well. I've heard it said many times the nicest parts of Houston are more pleasant than the nicest parts of Dallas. BTW I remember your own bad self posting many moons ago that Dallas had nothing to compare to Hermann Park either. So that's 2 features and counting.
Indeed, nothing in DFW is as naturally beautiful as The Woodlands or Kingwood or even Memorial, and Houston doesn't have anything as chic as the Park Cities.

I do think Dallasites are more aesthetically sensitive and better at building a city, but that doesn't change the fact that the North Texas scenery is pretty unremarkable.

Old 11-25-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
It is in an urban location but the design itself is more similar to a suburban office campus than an urban one.

This isn't very urban^ It could be in Plano, which by the way, a rail line also runs through.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7095...7i16384!8i8192

This is just about the only "Urban" area where you have street-level stuff going on. Otherwise, it is hospitals, and parking garages all crunched together. It's got less going on than 2002 Downtown Dallas. Sure people work there, but besides people walking to and from their cars there isn't much going on on the street level.

It isn't made up for as if it is a campus and one or more sides outside the hospital and across the street from the compound are full of shops and cafes and such that cater to the urban workforce as they go to and from the med center....you have strip malls down the roads too and from.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7105...7i13312!8i6656

Anyway, the TMC has an urban location, in that it is near the city centre, but the actual area is far from urban in design and looks like a big suburban office campus designed around the car like the rest of Houston.
+1

Old 11-25-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Memorial park is very nice....but it doesn't change the aesthetics of Houston....its a park!!!

Old 11-25-2019, 03:44 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
LOL who says that? People, who live in Houston?

What's nicer than Park Cities or Swiss Ave? Memorial or River Oaks are comparable, but not clearly nicer than the best parts of Dallas.

For the very top tier neighbourhoods? I think it is about a tie. For the just below top tier, the Lakewoods, Kessler/ Steven's Park etc Dallas totally beats the Houston comparison because they have better scenery and better integration with streetcar urbanism with the neighbourhood.

Yeah, Herman Park is great, and no, Dallas does not have an answer to that, but that is a park, not a neighbourhood.

Herman Park is also sadly not very well integrated with the rest of Houston, Unlike other great Urban Parks such as: Forest Park in St Louis, Grant Park or Jackson Park in Chicago, etc.

Dallas isn't massively more attractive than Houston, both are pretty meh overall, both have some really nice areas and both are improving.

I like what Houston has done with the Bayou. Houston has been more innovative than Dallas on projects like this while Dallas has built stupid pointless bridges.

Old 11-25-2019, 03:59 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,662 times
Default Face the facts

The Dallas folks will apparently never concede due to their ego and pride. I have seen several indisputable facts that the Dallas folks refuse to recognize and accept. If folks from Houston can think of anything else please add it on to the list.

1. The TMC

2. RICE UNIVERSITY

3. HERMANN PARK/MILLER THEATER

4. THE PINEY WOODLANDS ON THE NORTH SIDE.

5. THE BAY AREA AND THE GULF

6. THE PORT OF HOUSTON

7. HOUSTON HAS A LARGER DOWNTOWN CORE.

Old 11-25-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
LOL who says that? People, who live in Houston?

What's nicer than Park Cities or Swiss Ave? Memorial or River Oaks are comparable, but not clearly nicer than the best parts of Dallas.

For the very top tier neighbourhoods? I think it is about a tie. For the just below top tier, the Lakewoods, Kessler/ Steven's Park etc Dallas totally beats the Houston comparison because they have better scenery and better integration with streetcar urbanism with the neighbourhood.

Yeah, Herman Park is great, and no, Dallas does not have an answer to that, but that is a park, not a neighbourhood.

Herman Park is also sadly not very well integrated with the rest of Houston, Unlike other great Urban Parks such as: Forest Park in St Louis, Grant Park or Jackson Park in Chicago, etc.

Dallas isn't massively more attractive than Houston, both are pretty meh overall, both have some really nice areas and both are improving.

I like what Houston has done with the Bayou. Houston has been more innovative than Dallas on projects like this while Dallas has built stupid pointless bridges.
That's like saying Central Park has nothing to do with the aesthetics of Manhattan, you are sadly mistaken. The drives through both Hermann via Main and Fannin and Memorial Parks via Memorial dr and Woodway are every bit a part of the urban aesthetics as any neighborhood.

The drive west of the park on memorial is as pleasant as any city can ask for and the drive east on Memorial dr into DT is the best urban drive in Texas including Austin.

Old 11-25-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
The Dallas folks will apparently never concede due to their ego and pride. I have seen several indisputable facts that the Dallas folks refuse to recognize and accept. If folks from Houston can think of anything else please add it on to the list.

1. The TMC

2. RICE UNIVERSITY

3. HERMANN PARK/MILLER THEATER

4. THE PINEY WOODLANDS ON THE NORTH SIDE.

5. THE BAY AREA AND THE GULF

6. THE PORT OF HOUSTON

7. HOUSTON HAS A LARGER DOWNTOWN CORE.
Obviously DFW has nothing to compare to the Bay views or the coast but I hate to rub that in, it almost doesn't seem fair...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas