Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2020, 01:01 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Recognized as a global leader in diversity by whom? Provide your reference material. 93 consulates is note worthy but so is this:
1. D.F.W Airport has more passenger traffic annually, that Bush, Hobby, Austin Bergstrom and San Antonio combined.

2. DFW has the most diversified economy in the sunbelt with the most diverse number of Fortune 500 companies as well.

3. DFW has outpaced metro Houston in growth since 1980, is larger and projected by one national real estate firm to lead the nation for the 2020s. dallas.culturemap.com/news/city-life/01-09-20-dfw-lead-population-growth-2020-2029-cushman-wakefield/
1. Most of that traffic in DFW is transient connector passengers who are only in the DFW airport itself. Most of what they do is eat , drink , and use the restrooms while they are waiting for their connector flights.

In destination and origination traffic IAH is ranked 12th nationally while DFW is 15th according to Finch. (scroll to the bottom of the article for the rankings)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed.../#2d82a9047966

2. Economic diversity is great but it doesn't make DFW the leader in anything. In fact economic diversity tends to water down the importance of any one particular segment of the economy. But still a good thing if stability is important to you, which it should be to everybody.

3. You have to go back to 1980 to make that claim. If you look back to the beginning of this century the comparative growth of the two metro's is virtually identical.

Quote:
I've lived in Houston and DFW. I'll take DFW and I'm a Houston native.
Really ? What part of Houston did you grow up in ?

Old 01-18-2020, 01:09 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkeman37 View Post
"Dallas will soon have"
Having something SOON isn't the same as having it NOW. I can send you all kinds of articles and videos of the things that Houston will "soon" have as well. What's your point? How are you a senior member???

Jesus Christ...I said I WORKED for the city of Mansfield...not LIVED in it (although I did briefly, at first).

"When you annex ALL pf the surrounding suburbs it widens the load on your police and fire departments."
For better or worse, I guess. It works for Dallas, somewhat...but stunted it's growth. As a result, Dallas can't get bigger than it is. It can just continue to add more people, which may start to be a problem in the future. But hey...more power to you.
Houston Metro rail is 23 miles. DART Rail is 93 miles. The TRE which runs between FW and Dallas is 30 miles. The T which serves Tarrant County/Fort Worth opened a new rail line in 2019 from downtown to DFW International airport, about 20 miles long. So that's 143 miles total for DFW or over 6x that available for metro Houston.

Old 01-18-2020, 02:21 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Interesting enough. Grapevine, TX has seen the biggest economic boom from the new Tex-Rail commuter line. Businesses have seen an uptick in visitors & revenue.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...d%3Dtrue%26amp

Old 01-18-2020, 03:02 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Houston Metro rail is 23 miles. DART Rail is 93 miles. The TRE which runs between FW and Dallas is 30 miles. The T which serves Tarrant County/Fort Worth opened a new rail line in 2019 from downtown to DFW International airport, about 20 miles long. So that's 143 miles total for DFW or over 6x that available for metro Houston.
DFW has all these miles but it lacks the ridership when you see how much track has been built. Houston has more than 2/3 the rail ridership with less than 1/3 the rail track. This means Houston's layout makes the most economic scene for rail (and for the inner loop + southwest, heavy rail would work). If the original inner loop light rail plan for Houston was constructed today, it would no doubt have more riders. A smaller expansion was recently approved and even that might propel Houston to have more rail riders than DFW.

Old 01-18-2020, 03:48 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
I was doing a quick google search on DART and came across this wonderful article about a local DFW black family that has managed over a billion dollars worth of projects. Calling itself Dikita Enterprise the oldest African American and family-owned firm of its type in North Texas, Dikita mainly offers engineering, construction program management, transit planning, and other services to government entities.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bla...heres-how/amp/

Old 01-19-2020, 12:43 PM

16 posts, read 7,441 times
Quote:
I've lived in Houston and DFW. I'll take DFW and I'm a Houston native.

And I'M SURE there are many who feel that way. Nothing wrong with that.

And I know just as many (probably more, actually) who feel the EXACT OPPOSITE. I have a cousin who lives in Addison, and she would do ANYTHING to get the hell out of there. And mind you, she's from OHIO.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Ummm....that’s not a bad thing. Houston (as the city ages) may have a lot of problems with its infrastructure. It costs more money to maintain infrastructure for a city that has very expansive city limits. Especially, when the vast majority of it is suburban sprawl. It’s never viewed as a positive to have city limits that massive.

Again...that's not anything I'm disputing. I'm well aware of Houston's flaws, and I can live with it. I still love the city, and would not trade it for the Dallas area for anything. I'm not saying that as some weird "Screw DFW, it's all about HOUSTON" crap (which is what Dallasboi is all about )...I actually lived in DFW for a bit, and I just prefer Houston as a whole.

[Mod cut: discussing other members]

And I actually LIKE DFW...just not more than Houston. JEEZ.....

Last edited by elnina; 01-21-2020 at 02:18 AM..

Old 01-19-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Public transit is not the same. DART Rail, TRE and Denton rail make DFW by far the biggest system in the sunbelt. City services is harder to compare because DFW has a lot more municipalities.

DFW road system is obviously better than greater Houston and I've lived in both cities over 15 years each. The DFW has built much more roads and because of both Dallas and Fort Worth gets a larger share of TxDOT funding.

Since 2000, in Houston, 290 has been widened, the Westpark Toll way was built, the Grand Parkway has been partially completed and the Katy freeway has been widened.

Since 2000, in DFW, Highway121 has been finished. The Bush Turnpike/loop has been completed. Both I 35w and I35E have been widened. 30 mile Chisholm Trail Parkway in Fort Worth was built. Highway 114 has been widened and extended. The North Texas Tollway and Highway 360 have been extended. There are just more ways to get around in DFW compared to Houston.
Sorry, but the road system in Dallas is NOT better than the road system in Houston. I will say that DFW's ALTERNATIVE road system is superior to Houston's. Your side streets are less decrepid (except in South Dallas...that's just pitiful) whereas Houston's side streets are a pot-hole hellfest. BUT...Houston's loop system (and freeway system in general) is VASTLY superior to Dallas' unorganized freeway system. I'd take driving on 290 BEFORE it's widening over driving on 35 as it is TODAY.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
AGAIN...I'm not disputing that your PT system is better...I'm disputing that it's MUCH better. Even some of the Dallas lovers in this forum have admitted that the rail line is VASTLY under utilized. That's probably why it's better...a non-crowded train would make for a lovely ride home from a hard day's work.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
DFW has all these miles but it lacks the ridership when you see how much track has been built. Houston has more than 2/3 the rail ridership with less than 1/3 the rail track. This means Houston's layout makes the most economic scene for rail (and for the inner loop + southwest, heavy rail would work). If the original inner loop light rail plan for Houston was constructed today, it would no doubt have more riders. A smaller expansion was recently approved and even that might propel Houston to have more rail riders than DFW.

THIS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas