Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2020, 06:32 AM

16 posts, read 7,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
The Oilers wanted desperately to stay in Houston , but Bud Adams wasn't liked here so Houston refused to build a new stadium so he left. Don't act like you know better what happened because you don't.

As far as choke artist, well you got to have at least the big 3 sports in town, and for what its worth, the emphasis on professional sports here is to be competitive but not great. It's entertainment not religion. Please don't give me any Narcistic psychobabble about how cities should strive to be great not mediocre because as far a I'm concerned AT&T is not worth the billion dollars it took to build it. I'll take NRG for $250 million any day.

As far as the appearance of NRG it's a perfectly good stadium so perhaps you should think more about something in your own realm , more than what a stadium in another city looks like. BTW I think AT&T looks like a turtle laying an egg, nothing special at all, just big and spread out ..

BTW I think AT&T looks like a turtle laying an egg, nothing special at all, just big and spread out

I always thought this as well...but we'd better not say anything about Dallas' Crown Jewel. We're just a couple of jealous Houstonians, remember?

Old 01-20-2020, 07:18 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkeman37 View Post
BTW I think AT&T looks like a turtle laying an egg, nothing special at all, just big and spread out

I always thought this as well...but we'd better not say anything about Dallas' Crown Jewel. We're just a couple of jealous Houstonians, remember?
I mean the Death Star isn't the best stadium in the league by any means, (never said that) but NRG is one of the worst. I don't have any particular dislike for Houston teams either btw, yall don't even have a hockey team and thats my favourite sport and it isn't like you are rivals of us in football.

I guess in theory we are baseball rivals, but not for long and not while both teams have been good enough for any meaningful games to be played. Besides, yall cheat in baseball.

None of that changes that NRG is boring and the Texans are a generic, boring, unhistoric team with a stupid name, a logo and uniform that looks like a generic football team from an early 2000s made for TV Disney movie.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:19 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkeman37 View Post
This is an ongoing theme with Dallas...Houston actually designs and builds something that's THE FIRST OF IT'S KIND (Astrodome, NRG)...Dallas TRIES to beat it by just building something more expensive. A CLASSIC Dallas move
Astro dome is dope. NRG is trash.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:47 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Wow...this thread took a turn that would put the Dalai Lama on Xanax.

I normally try to abstain from Dallas vs. Houston material but I just spent a weekend back in Dallas and thought Id come back on here as it was quite enjoyable. We have friends who just moved last month from LA to Turtle Creek and are in love with the area so we went up for a visit.

We used DART a lot of the time we were there to go to Koreatown and see my friends in Lakewood. The rail system up there is far superior to what we have here. Inevitably, someone will say "but what about ridership per mile?". Who cares? The average passenger doesnt give a crap about ridership statistics. They want to be able to look at a rail map, see where they are, and how they can use it.

The Turtle Creek/Uptown area sure has grown a lot since we lived there. Lots upon lots of new bars, restaurants, clubs, and residential high rises. Lots of people walking everywhere too. While both cities are becoming more dense in their cores, I feel like Dallas does a better job of improving infrastructure (more rail, adding more sidewalks, etc.). Houston tends to just let things happen.

Downtown Dallas is still kind of a dud (Downtown Houston is definitely better), but whats going on Uptown and in Turtle Creek should be the envy of a lot of cities. I definitely give Uptown Dallas the nod over Midtown Houston.

And to whoever said "Dallas just wants to be like Houston", thats one of the more dumb things Ive read on here. Thats not to say Dallas doesnt copy other cities sometimes, but Houston definitely isnt one of them.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:27 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

I normally try to abstain from Dallas vs. Houston material but I just spent a weekend back in Dallas and thought Id come back on here as it was quite enjoyable. We have friends who just moved last month from LA to Turtle Creek and are in love with the area so we went up for a visit.

We used DART a lot of the time we were there to go to Koreatown and see my friends in Lakewood. The rail system up there is far superior to what we have here. Inevitably, someone will say "but what about ridership per mile?". Who cares? The average passenger doesnt give a crap about ridership statistics. They want to be able to look at a rail map, see where they are, and how they can use it.

The Turtle Creek/Uptown area sure has grown a lot since we lived there. Lots upon lots of new bars, restaurants, clubs, and residential high rises. Lots of people walking everywhere too. While both cities are becoming more dense in their cores, I feel like Dallas does a better job of improving infrastructure (more rail, adding more sidewalks, etc.). Houston tends to just let things happen.

Downtown Dallas is still kind of a dud (Downtown Houston is definitely better), but whats going on Uptown and in Turtle Creek should be the envy of a lot of cities. I definitely give Uptown Dallas the nod over Midtown Houston.

And to whoever said "Dallas just wants to be like Houston", thats one of the more dumb things Ive read on here. Thats not to say Dallas doesnt copy other cities sometimes, but Houston definitely isnt one of them.
Glad you enjoyed yourself!!!..Downtowns prize pieces are still under construction(at&t Plaza, The East Quarter and the Drever) so its still not complete. We have alot of projects that are about to start also. So the next time you come it'll be alot different downtown.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:21 AM

20 posts, read 11,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

The rail system up there is far superior to what we have here.

Superior? Yes. FAR superior? Nope.

And to whoever said "Dallas just wants to be like Houston", thats one of the more dumb things Ive read on here.

Just because it's dumb TO YOU doesn't make it any less true.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkeman View Post
[
And to whoever said "Dallas just wants to be like Houston", thats one of the more dumb things Ive read on here.

Just because it's dumb TO YOU doesn't make it any less true.
No, its legitimately stupid. Its something homers tell themselves to make themselves feel better.

Dallas does often copy other cities...LA, NYC, Chicago, but not Houston. The average Dallasite doesnt even like Houston and the same is true in reverse. Houston is one of the last cities they would want to copy. Houston doesnt copy Dallas either so dont think Im trying to make that point.

But hey, if telling yourself that makes you sleep better at night, Im not going to stop you.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:32 AM

This pretty much sums it up...

Houston is known as the world capital of space exploration, The world's first domed stadium (Astrodome), the world's first retractable roof stadium (NRG), the world capital of air conditioning, the world capital of the international energy industry, the world capital of petroleum exploration and the world capital of capital punishment. ... Houston reportedly also has more than 11,000 restaurants.

The city of Dallas is known for its cultural activities, including opera, ballet, musicals, and symphony concerts; a notable facility is the Kalita Humphreys Theater (1959; part of the Dallas Theater Center), designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It is also known as the city that kills presidents (JFK), kills multiple police officers (DART), and allows police officers to enter your home and kill you while you're eating ice cream (Botham Jean).

The worst thing to come out of Houston was David Koresh, and even THAT is a matter of perspective.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I mean the Death Star isn't the best stadium in the league by any means, (never said that) but NRG is one of the worst. I don't have any particular dislike for Houston teams either btw, yall don't even have a hockey team and thats my favourite sport and it isn't like you are rivals of us in football.

I guess in theory we are baseball rivals, but not for long and not while both teams have been good enough for any meaningful games to be played. Besides, yall cheat in baseball.

None of that changes that NRG is boring and the Texans are a generic, boring, unhistoric team with a stupid name, a logo and uniform that looks like a generic football team from an early 2000s made for TV Disney movie.

Besides, yall cheat in baseball.

Y'all, as in the Astros manager A.J. Hinch and general manager Jeff Luhnow, who were fired?

Do you say the same about the Patriots?

And, finally, do you think the Cowgirls are scandal free? Here ya go...https://yourteamcheats.com/DAL

Get over yourself. You can find some form of cheating in ANY professional sports team. That's not saying much.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkeman View Post
This pretty much sums it up...

Houston is known as the world capital of space exploration, The world's first domed stadium (Astrodome), the world's first retractable roof stadium (NRG), the world capital of air conditioning, the world capital of the international energy industry, the world capital of petroleum exploration and the world capital of capital punishment. ... Houston reportedly also has more than 11,000 restaurants.

The city of Dallas is known for its cultural activities, including opera, ballet, musicals, and symphony concerts; a notable facility is the Kalita Humphreys Theater (1959; part of the Dallas Theater Center), designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It is also known as the city that kills presidents (JFK), kills multiple police officers (DART), and allows police officers to enter your home and kill you while you're eating ice cream (Botham Jean).

The worst thing to come out of Houston was David Koresh, and even THAT is a matter of perspective.
That is probably the weakest most pathetic attempt at trolling Ive ever seen on this forum.

The actual paragraph reads:

"The city is known for its cultural activities, including opera, ballet, musicals, and symphony concerts; a notable facility is the Kalita Humphreys Theater (1959; part of the Dallas Theater Center), designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Dallas’s arts district is the frequent site of shows and festivals and includes the Dallas Museum of Art, sculpture gardens, galleries of Asian art, and the Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center (1989), designed by I.M. Pei. Pioneer Plaza at the Dallas Convention Center features a life-size bronze sculpture of a cattle drive, complete with 70 head of cattle and 3 cowboys. Old City Park preserves some three dozen restored North Texas buildings, most from the 19th century. The John F. Kennedy Memorial Plaza is near the spot where that president was assassinated; the Sixth Floor Museum (in the building facing the plaza from which the assassin allegedly shot) is dedicated to the assassination and its aftereffects."

https://www.britannica.com/place/Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas