Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 04:47 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
The 'radical right wing' does not overlap with 'affluent suburbanites', at least not very much. I would guess that eliminating public education would fall somewhere well below school vouchers, and school vouchers did not even get off the ground....

It isn't minorities that under perform, but lower economic classes. Do they overlap to some extent? Yes. Is it a racial thing? No.

Oh, and business would flee the state faster than you can say 'idiot workforce'.
The business community would definitely freak out. But as we've seen, many elected officials and their voter bases are not necessarily aligned with the business community these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 08:14 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
It's obviously a way (sort of a tortured way) to address the social equity issue. But I think a large share of folks in higher-performing suburban areas HATE it. They want to keep all their own property tax $ within their districts.
I don't know that 'they' want to keep ALL their taxes in their district, just more of the taxes. And the current system allows AISD to keep less than 1/2 of every additional dollar it taxes, although the overall is 'only' 1/4 of the total taxes currently.

And it isn't a 'tortured' sort of way, really, as taxes are a redistribution system at almost every turn. And, honestly, if you don't like the high taxes, move to a district with a lower tax base. As unfair as it is on the surface, you actually DO get to 'buy' into a better school. But instead of being just a little more, it is exponentially more. Our property values in my corner are largely due to the quality of the schools, so my high taxes are directly due to good schools. If I don't like the taxes, I can move to Wimberley or wherever and pay much less.

And if Austin suddenly got to keep the 300 million dollars, where would it go? Probably across the board teacher raises for some of it, but a LOT would get directed to the lower performing schools in the district - not mine anyway.....

Old 08-16-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The business community would definitely freak out. But as we've seen, many elected officials and their voter bases are not necessarily aligned with the business community these days.
Check out the 'bathroom bill' success - the house of reps is VERY tied into the business community. I work with international businesses that open plants here - they like the balance between education and wages - it costs more in wages to operate in Texas than south America or Mexico, but quality employees (i.e. decent education) is easier to find. Stability in government is also a big factor. There is definitely a pause in new or expanded plants currently while they wait to see what happens with NAFTA. Discussion of dismantling schools would be a bombshell.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:25 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,719 times
I would hope not. That would only serve to exacerbate the economic divide between the rich and the poor. Like Trainwreck said, essentially all taxes are redistributive. Wealthy states funnel federal dollars to the poorer rural states - which I agree with. We need to help each other out, not be a nation of individuals.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:40 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
It would be interesting and enlightening to ask some of the most anti-tax members of the legislature how far they'd be willing to go to reduce taxes collected for public schools. I can't even guess how they'd answer, or whether they'd set their limits at the same place.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
I would hope not. That would only serve to exacerbate the economic divide between the rich and the poor. Like Trainwreck said, essentially all taxes are redistributive. Wealthy states funnel federal dollars to the poorer rural states - which I agree with. We need to help each other out, not be a nation of individuals.
True about the redistribution. There's definitely a contingent of citizens who aren't on board the redistribution bandwagon though. I personally am mixed on that. For example, I like MUDs because all tax revenue stays in the district - the taxed are the direct beneficiaries.

However, I fear the rise in property taxes (especially in areas with desirable schools) is going to drive more anti-tax sentiment, and schools would be the main target as they are the largest portion of the bill.

It doesn't help that you rarely hear about poorly performing schools (which are usually Hispanic and Black in demographic profile, and almost always low income or working class) substantially improving the perception of their quality despite big investments of funds or special programming initiatives ("wraparound services"). I think a lot of folks who are disinclined toward redistribution and social welfare spending are unlikely to continue supporting the whole scheme. Have you ever noticed the avalanche of negative comments every time a news article mentions schools in lower income areas providing breakfast? This appalls a lot of people who view it as a ridiculous coddling of the students and their families, and want public spending like that eliminated. It's not much of a jump to just saying that having a state-administered public school system needs to end because it's a waste of tax money, unfair to suburban districts which give away funds, is too subject to "liberal" ideologies from the evil coasts, doesn't keep out the "wrong" students, doesn't facilitate enough Christian worship, etc. etc.

I think Texas is fortunate to have the House of Reps to maintain a semblance of sanity, but the Senate didn't get the way it is by accident. There's a major effort to get the House fit the same profile as the Senate. And it's the senators from the more affluent suburban and exurban areas who brought that change to the Senate - can the suburban House representatives avoid being swept by the same tide? I know I come across as paranoid, but you've seen what's happened over the last ten years politically as radical right suburbanites have captured a significant portion of the state government.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I don't know that 'they' want to keep ALL their taxes in their district, just more of the taxes. And the current system allows AISD to keep less than 1/2 of every additional dollar it taxes, although the overall is 'only' 1/4 of the total taxes currently.

And it isn't a 'tortured' sort of way, really, as taxes are a redistribution system at almost every turn. And, honestly, if you don't like the high taxes, move to a district with a lower tax base. As unfair as it is on the surface, you actually DO get to 'buy' into a better school. But instead of being just a little more, it is exponentially more. Our property values in my corner are largely due to the quality of the schools, so my high taxes are directly due to good schools. If I don't like the taxes, I can move to Wimberley or wherever and pay much less.

And if Austin suddenly got to keep the 300 million dollars, where would it go? Probably across the board teacher raises for some of it, but a LOT would get directed to the lower performing schools in the district - not mine anyway.....
By "tortured", I just meant the formulas are rather complicated. I have to wonder if they couldn't make it more straightforward.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
It would be interesting and enlightening to ask some of the most anti-tax members of the legislature how far they'd be willing to go to reduce taxes collected for public schools. I can't even guess how they'd answer, or whether they'd set their limits at the same place.
I don't know what their answer would be, but I can guarantee you in their minds they'd be asking, "What would the voters in the Republican primaries and my major campaign donors say?"

Old 08-16-2017, 10:02 PM

Eh, I will just say it isn't going to happen. We all DO benefit from public education. The majority of people know that - we haven't gotten that dumb yet, it is just some of the comical legislators making it look that way and the vocal fringe.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:57 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,719 times
Quote:
Eh, I will just say it isn't going to happen. We all DO benefit from public education. The majority of people know that - we haven't gotten that dumb yet, it is just some of the comical legislators making it look that way and the vocal fringe.
Absolutely. Education is the gift that keeps on giving. Invest money in these poor areas - you help combat crime, poverty, help create consumers, etc. It's in our best interest when ALL Americans are doing well.

In college I taught reading classes in one of the nation's poorest zip codes (east of El Paso in unincorporated communities) and that was a massive eye opener for me (raised in an average, middle-class home) seeing the crippling poverty and lack of opportunities these kids are provided. There are some bright, hard-working kids there, but they face a massive disadvantage in life compared with the wealthy kids who happened to grow up in Highland Park, or Preston Hollow, or wherever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas