Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2017, 07:37 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
what makes them true?
Notice how he dodged the question. Sure, he tried to turn it around and throw it back, but in the end, wasn't able to answer.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:39 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
.. A third of blacks who voted said they favored keeping the Confederate Battle Flag on the Mississippi state flag
Yeah right, and 2/3's of blacks love and support slavery too

Old 08-30-2017, 08:41 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Notice how he dodged the question. Sure, he tried to turn it around and throw it back, but in the end, wasn't able to answer.
I anwered,but you couldn't. Iddon't know what makes polls true or not,except that when privately asked a survey question,most folks have no reason to lie.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Yeah right, and 2/3's of blacks love and support slavery too
really dumb reply. check it out for yourself.and read this link

http://www.theamericanmirror.com/bla...s-our-history/

Old 08-30-2017, 10:59 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
yes,so? check out other polling results on the question. A third of blacks who voted said they favored keeping the Confederate Battle Flag on the Mississippi state flag
What do you mean "yes,so"?

Labeling it to one side shows that it's playing to one specific group who have a specific political belief system and that kills a lot of its credibility, whether you want to think so or not. It instantly shows that they're trying to only focus on one thing, so not only is that "poll" questionable, it's still an inexact science. If you actually were polling blacks on how they felt about monuments, you're still not getting the thoughts of how ALL blacks feel, and a prime example of what I mean by that is the general election. Because despite being president, it's obvious that not everyone voted for Trump . . .

Old 08-30-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
We shouldn't forget history.

So on September 11, 2051...we should erect a giant statue of Osama Bin Laden in Times Square NYC. It's history after all. Yes, his minions attacked America but so did the CSA. For every Confederate statue that is still standing, we should erect a statue of an Al-Qaeda operative. An enemy of America is an enemy of America, regardless of where they come from.
The CSA did not attack the USA, it was the other way around. The Confederacy only wanted to go its own way and be left alone to do so. There was absolutely no intention of overthrowing the US govnernment nor subjegating the northern people.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
What do you mean "yes,so"?

Labeling it to one side shows that it's playing to one specific group who have a specific political belief system and that kills a lot of its credibility, whether you want to think so or not. It instantly shows that they're trying to only focus on one thing, so not only is that "poll" questionable, it's still an inexact science. If you actually were polling blacks on how they felt about monuments, you're still not getting the thoughts of how ALL blacks feel, and a prime example of what I mean by that is the general election. Because despite being president, it's obvious that not everyone voted for Trump . . .
I could agree with that. Which is why I find it silly and condecending when many whites presume to speak for all blacks on the issue when they seemingly take for granted all or even most are "offended" by Confederate flags and symbols.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I'm certain there are very few who feel that way, and I don't expect to be proven wrong anytime soon. Your black friend speaks for no one but himself.
And you speak for no one but yourself

Old 08-31-2017, 02:33 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,372,669 times
Ignorance. There are too many blacks born post 1980's who don't even have knowledge about the Civil Rights Movement, much less, Confederate history and why the monuments & statues SHOULD offend them.

I haven't read through all the posts on this thread but it may have been mentioned already that one important reason Confederate monuments were constructed throughout the South were as symbols of intimidation to blacks during the Jim Crow Era. Many more were set up as rallying points for supremest activities. Let's not forget how large and powerful the Klan was during that same time period.

Here in Georgia, Stone Mountain (with it's carved Confederate images) was once a magnet for KKK activity. Probably a main reason it isn't today is because the surrounding population is 70-80% black.

My question is.. For Southern whites who strongly support Confederate history, why? What are you reminiscing? The Confederate States' declaration of war against the U.S. was a treasonous act that they LOST. As history has taught us blacks during that same time period were in bondage with many being terrorized & tortured. When Confederate monuments were placed, blacks throughout the South were still victims of both random and institutionalized oppression.

I live in the heart of Dixie where reminders of Confederate pride are never far away (mainly in the rural areas outside of Atlanta). Seeing flags, monuments and statues commemorating the Confederacy doesn't rule my life whatsoever. That said, I believe they should be in museums. I'm not even getting into street and public building names.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:12 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Quote:
The CSA did not attack the USA, it was the other way around. The Confederacy only wanted to go its own way and be left alone to do so. There was absolutely no intention of overthrowing the US govnernment nor subjegating the northern people.
They just wanted to subjugate (correct spelling BTW) Africans. That should be allowed, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas