Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 06:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
There is no such thing as majority-minority, that's an oxymoron (and whoever invented the term is a plain ol' moron).

What has happened in Texas is that Hispanics have become the majority, and non-Hispanic whites are now part of the minority.
Do you understand what the term means?

Quote:
majority-minority
[muh-jawr-i-tee-mi-nawr-i-tee, -nor-, mahy-, -jor--]
Spell Syllables
Examples
adjective
relating to a population in which more than half represent social, ethnic, or racial minorities, and in which fewer members of the more socially, politically, or financially dominant group are represented
Majority-minority | Define Majority-minority at Dictionary.com

In Texas, while white, non Hispanics are the largest single ethnic group, they are still less than 50 percent of the population.

Yep, real phrase, real meaning in a real world.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:50 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
How To Know You’re In a Mass Hysteria Bubble |Dilbert/Scot Adams

Old 08-21-2017, 09:11 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
You and your strawman. lol For starters, I'm not arguing, I have enough sense to know it's futile to argue with people on this board. Secondly, I'm not even discussing, also futile. I simply made a tongue-in-cheek post (dear God, I only hope and pray you also don't need clarification as well on this remark). Then I felt obliged to say I just thought this whole debacle our country is enmeshed in right now is IMO silly. I did not attempt to start an argument by stating any whys or hows or any blame.

I try to see/hear as little news these days as humanly possible, but it is impossible to be completely unaware of events happening in our world unless you are in a coma. Why do I try to keep the news at bay, you might ask? Or maybe not, I mean I very well see why you could care less. I got to say, me too. But here I go again, feeling somewhat obligated to explain. The reason is that no sooner than this larger than life, the focus of everyone's attention, the reason people can drive hundreds of miles to march in a protest but can't be bothered to drive 5 miles to an honest day's work, the alpha and omega problem facing America today dies down, another just as serious, just as all important fiasco will arise ensuring more marches and protests, more violence, more non-stop media coverage, more discussions and arguments. It has become a never ending merry-go-round.

So, you argue, march, protest, discuss, joke, laugh or do nothing at all about any of it. That's strictly up to you. As far as I'm concerned, I'm so worn out with all of it, that now I could care less. I feel sorry for the younger people in today's world. They have more luxuries than their parents and grandparents, but with the constant access to the internet /news, the constant uproar and strife that is a non-stop in your face daily happening, they are living lives filled with unrest and anxiety.
You claim to be "fed up" with today's news, but you care enough to chime in with an attempt at a joke. Just admit that you wanted to throw in a low-hanging talking point without having to bother justifying your position or discussing specific details. Folks like you are the bigger problem - as you claim to be 'above the fray', but just are too lazy to give a damn.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:44 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,915 times

Old 08-22-2017, 09:19 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Why do people keep on defending confederate traitors that took arms against the US army?
Doesn't surprise me that they go around with the nazi flag

Old 08-22-2017, 09:26 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Why do people keep on defending confederate traitors that took arms against the US army?
Because "their" history means more to them...

Old 08-22-2017, 09:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

I would change that meme to read:

"911, what's your emergency?"

(white woman crying into the phone)

"The Confederate monument has gone missing!"

Old 08-22-2017, 09:44 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Because "their" history means more to them...
But still odd to me. How many have really looked at their 'history' and thought about it?

I have several generations of slave holders in my family tree (actually in my surname line, even) from the 1700s. I did a DNA test, and I have 'black' cousins that tie back to that time period. It is somewhat uncomfortable to think that their ancestors did not likely have any choice in the matter. I am not 'proud' of them or what they believed in, although it also doesn't make me want to crawl under a rock and hide or anything. It just is what it is.

I *am* somewhat proud that my direct surname line voluntarily gave up their slaves (and land) to become Methodist ministers in the late 1700s/early 1800s.

One of the minister's sons went on to be a surgeon/doctor for Robert E. Lee at some point in the Civil War. He named his first child 'Lee' in 1869 after the war (kind of a statue, eh?) and it became a family name for the next four generations (always part of the name of the oldest child), but I happen to know that the second-to-last of those was closer to a 'liberal' firebrand than a confederate supporter. She has been passed away for some years now, but I would be curious to know if she ever made any connection to RELee or whether it was just her name; if she did, I wonder what she thought about it, if at all? It was her middle name. The last one did not name any kids with a Lee in the name.

Going back the other way, the originator of our surname in the Americas was an indentured servant in 1636. I wonder what his thoughts on it would be? From my understanding, the difference in a slave and an indentured servant in that time period was only in the eventual outcome (freedom) and not really different on a day-to-day basis. As far as I can tell (but any records that far back are sketchy), he never personally owned a slave or servant.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:59 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
But still odd to me. How many have really looked at their 'history' and thought about it?

I have several generations of slave holders in my family tree (actually in my surname line, even) from the 1700s. I did a DNA test, and I have 'black' cousins that tie back to that time period. It is somewhat uncomfortable to think that their ancestors did not likely have any choice in the matter. I am not 'proud' of them or what they believed in, although it also doesn't make me want to crawl under a rock and hide or anything. It just is what it is.

I *am* somewhat proud that my direct surname line voluntarily gave up their slaves (and land) to become Methodist ministers in the late 1700s/early 1800s.

One of the minister's sons went on to be a surgeon/doctor for Robert E. Lee at some point in the Civil War. He named his first child 'Lee' in 1869 after the war (kind of a statue, eh?) and it became a family name for the next four generations (always part of the name of the oldest child), but I happen to know that the second-to-last of those was closer to a 'liberal' firebrand than a confederate supporter. She has been passed away for some years now, but I would be curious to know if she ever made any connection to RELee or whether it was just her name; if she did, I wonder what she thought about it, if at all? It was her middle name. The last one did not name any kids with a Lee in the name.

Going back the other way, the originator of our surname in the Americas was an indentured servant in 1636. I wonder what his thoughts on it would be? From my understanding, the difference in a slave and an indentured servant in that time period was only in the eventual outcome (freedom) and not really different on a day-to-day basis. As far as I can tell (but any records that far back are sketchy), he never personally owned a slave or servant.
All of that is why I put quotation marks around "their" when mentioning history.

I'm pretty sure many of them will be surprised when they read their results.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:33 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
This Editorial nails it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas