Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2017, 12:13 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times

Advertisements

The reason these controversies continue is that the facts and the history are not as clear cut as those with agendas on either side want to make them.

On balance, I think the monuments and memorials probably should be removed, because I value my fellow Americans who are the descendants of slaves, and I don't think their feelings about Confederate monuments will ever be altered no matter how much is said in the favor of such monuments.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:14 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Honoring Confederate soldiers in my opinion would be like having statues and memorials all across Texas of Mexican soldiers who fought on the Mexican side during Texas' Revolution from Mexico. Why? Just wouldn't make any sense. We do honor Mexican soldiers who fought for Texas (Seguin, Zavala, etc). I mean that makes sense.
LOL, I agree, you are generally correct, but could you imagine the outcry that would cause if we replaced, say, half of the confederate statues with Mexicans that died in the revolution. Mexico was already in the process of abolishing slavery at the time, too, so you could say they are more deserving

Old 08-24-2017, 12:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
By the way, just an aside note.

Virginia has the highest number of Confederate monuments of any state. Guess which state is in second place (out of 50).

That's right.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:13 PM

745 posts, read 1,284,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The point is not who owned slaves prior to the 20th century. The point is that Confederate soldiers fought against the United States of America and the Confederacy was based on the right to own slaves, so whether they admitted it or not, they were fighting for their states' right to continue the institution of slavery.

Thousands of Americans were killed in this futile war which was based on the rights of states to allow slavery. No point in honoring that in my opinion. It was a tragedy, not something honorable.
You are destroying history by oversimplifying it. It is certainly not that simple. Jefferson Davis said:

Quote:
"The North was mad and blind; it would not let us govern ourselves; and so the war came, and now it must go till the last man of this generation falls in his tracks, and his children seize his musket and fight his battle, unless you acknowledge our right to self-government. We are not fighting for slavery. We are fighting for Independence--and that, or extermination, we will have."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9J8P6WfS7w

Old 08-24-2017, 02:19 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Yeah, yeah, try to put a spin on it, did ya, Davis? Let me fix it:
Quote:
"The North was mad and blind; it would not let us [keep our slaves]; and so [we committed treason against the country], and now it must go till the last man of this generation falls in his tracks, and his children seize his musket and fight his battle, unless you acknowledge our right to [keep slaves]. We are not fighting for slavery [bs!]. We are fighting for [slavery]--and that, or extermination, we will have."
You know, just because someone said it, doesn't make it accurate. Actions DO mean a lot more than words.

Old 08-24-2017, 02:39 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwreck20 View Post
yeah, yeah, try to put a spin on it, did ya, davis? Let me fix it:

Quote:
"the north was mad and blind; it would not let us [keep our slaves]; and so [we committed treason against the country], and now it must go till the last man of this generation falls in his tracks, and his children seize his musket and fight his battle, unless you acknowledge our right to [keep slaves]. We are not fighting for slavery [bs!]. We are fighting for [slavery]--and that, or extermination, we will have."
you know, just because someone said it, doesn't make it accurate. Actions do mean a lot more than words.
lol

Old 08-24-2017, 03:32 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Since we're celebrating Jefferson Davis, it seems sweet to share a picture of him and his young bride. Looks like a happy couple.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...cture_1845.jpg

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-24-2017 at 03:43 PM..

Old 08-24-2017, 04:10 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
History is history, the good, the bad, and the ugly. It's interesting how much of our history is wiped out and forgotten. Are we going to be burning books next?
Actually, the current history books are already distorted. We need to burn those and just go back to the old books.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:45 PM

745 posts, read 1,284,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Since we're celebrating Jefferson Davis, it seems sweet to share a picture of him and his young bride. Looks like a happy couple.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...cture_1845.jpg
I assume you didn't learn in liberal arts college why people in early photographs rarely smiled? Sheesh, the ignorance here is stunning, but not surprising.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:18 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
I assume you didn't learn in liberal arts college why people in early photographs rarely smiled? Sheesh, the ignorance here is stunning, but not surprising.
Well, you apparently never learned that it's unwise to assume. The road to hell is paved with assumptions. Good luck buddy.

I've never heard Texas A&M called a "liberal arts college". You're lucky you don't get the shyte kicked out of you for that comment. Maybe you should consider college when you grow up. It'll be scary for you though; you'll have to use your brain.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-24-2017 at 07:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas