Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:43 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times

Advertisements

Greetings fellow Texans!

I got to thinking (because this is the type thing people like me get to thinking about) that we have discussed songs of Texas, folklore, critters, etc....but so far as I know there as never been a thread concerning movies about Texas. Or movies made in Texas. Or TV shows either.

Anybody got any favorites, or even disliked ones? Comments or critisisms?

Since I started it, I'll lead off briefly with two that come to mind as favorites.

1. The Alamo (John Wayne, 1960 version}: I admit it was very long and there were a lot of scenes and parts in it that were almost cloyingly ridiculous, and lots of liberties were taken with historic fact. BUT...nonetheless the theme is something that stirs a true Texan. And the battle scenes were truly epic.

2. Places In the Heart (Sally Fields and Danny Glover): This one is a movie I can watch over and over. Part of its appeal lies in that the whole "tone" of the movie reminds me a lot of how my grandparents described their own life in Depression era Texas. The hardscrabble existence, the cotton culture of the poor white/black South, race relations, etc. Just a really good and very moving piece of work.

Y'all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 09:00 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I liked Raggedy Man, plus it was filmed in Texas, even though it's not really about Texas. Urban Cowboy is another one. There's such a big list, I'm not really sure what else to add, but those two just jumped out at me.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:15 AM

690 posts, read 2,629,391 times
Movies filmed in Texas that I loved? I can think of three, easily: Urban Cowboy, Terms Of Endearment, and Dazed And Confused.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:31 AM

181 posts, read 642,609 times
From Dusk til Dawn, Lone Wolf McQuade, Last Man Standing, Extreme Prejudice, and a couple other films about how badass Texans are!

Old 03-14-2008, 09:35 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,973,903 times
Slackers and another one about working in an office that was filmed near Woodward and Ben White in Austin.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:06 AM

Going in the opposite direction, so to speak, two productions that tend to irritate me a bit (although in a sorta affectionately resigned way) are the movie Smokey and the Bandit II, and Walker, Texas Ranger.

As to the first one, it wasn't really ABOUT Texas so to speak, but it DID involve a trek thru the Deep South into Texas. Anyway, here is this forested piney woods landscape depicted from Georgia to Alabama to Mississippi to Louisiana and THEN, when the "Entering Texas" sign comes up (or however it was presented",) the landscape suddenly and instantaneously changes to desert and cactus! I laugh a bit and just chalk it up to the imprint that the old western movies about Texas have made on popular imagery! LOL

As to "Walker, Texas Ranger"? Well, far be it from ME to repeat this to Chuck Norris's face, of course, BUT...

Seriously, I honestly like the fact that a television show these days can be so clear cut and unambiguous as to the "good guys" and "bad guys" And from everything I have ever read about Chuck Norris, he is truly what he is on screen. A good man with a strong sense of traditional right and wrong. All of this is, to me, a welcome thing in the trash culture that passes for entertainment nowdays out of Hollywood.

Anyway, not to get too serious, the couple of things that do tend to annoy me about the show (not counting the same song, different verse, "fight" scenes) are the constant references to "the Rez"...meaning an Indian Reservation. And the dress that is more typical of Arizona than anything I have ever seen in Texas (string ties, turquoise jewelry, etc). In fact, there are no true Indian reservations in Texas. But I guess that, because of that ingrained Cowboy and Indian image of Texas, one has to be presented, real or not! LOL

Old 03-14-2008, 10:09 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
A lot of old Disney movies like Swamp Fox, and that series with the blonde girl in them were filmed at Caddo Lake (Texas side)

Old 03-14-2008, 10:24 AM

808 posts, read 3,646,717 times
Giant was a movie roughly about the era of huge Texas ranches. It was made in 1956 and stars Rock Hudson, Elizabeth Taylor, and James Dean.

Definitely worth checking out.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
A lot of old Disney movies like Swamp Fox, and that series with the blonde girl in them were filmed at Caddo Lake (Texas side)
Absolutely right, Poltracker. The "adventure/suspence" movie "Southern Comfort" (Keith Carradine and Powers Boothe) about a bunch of Louisiana National Guardsmen who get lost in the bayous and swamps of Louisiana and run afoul of some native Cajuns, was ACTUALLY filmed on the TEXAS side of Caddo Lake!

Old 03-14-2008, 11:22 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
One of the best "mockumentary" comedies, Waiting for Guffman, was shot in Lockhart... although I think it was portrayed as Mississippi or something. Spy Kids, The Grindhouse movies, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Last Picture Show...

More recent in west texas (at least partially filmed there): There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas