Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 08:56 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
My guess is that if people had filled up like they normally do instead of panicking, the problems would be minuscule in comparison.
Even non-existent. It doesn't help, though, that it is a three-day 'traveling' weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 10:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
See the map here:
GasBuddy Gasoline Availability Tracker
Zoom to your location, select stations with gas, click on green for more info. You can do it from your GasBuddy app too.
WOW. Lots of red on that map, especially in urban areas like Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, etc.

Old 09-01-2017, 12:12 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Austin gets almost all its gasoline from the Corpus Christi, and, more specifically, from the Flint Hills refinery. That refinery started the 'startup process' a day or two ago. It will take several days more to get up to anything resembling normal production.

There is a lot of inventory out there currently, though, so there should be plenty if they can get it to the gas stations. Someone mentioned that they heard there was some issue at the loading rack that is preventing the tank farm from transferring fuel to tanker truck very quickly. I don't know if that is true or not, though.

This is the more interesting issue at the moment, at least from an economic standpoint. It is a surprisingly good article, considering it is from Yahoo:
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/h...040003835.html

Old 09-01-2017, 08:25 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
My guess is that if people had filled up like they normally do instead of panicking, the problems would be minuscule in comparison.
Probably true BUT.......

........my normal practice IS to top the tank off every second day. Ten miles to the nearest gas station (which when I passed it last night on the way to work had a half of a dozen cars a'filling when the store was closed but at dawn this morning was out of fuel) is a long way to bike a gas can back and forth. So now, I always keep the tank 7/8's full just in case of, well, you know.

As it is, I refueled on Thursday, the second day would be Saturday, my last chance gas station is empty, and the next page in the play book says.....cancel all non essential trips. So it is a weekend of sitting at home with the cars in the garage since I am well stocked, not perfectly stocked mind you, in other things as well.

A and B. A: It reminds me of a Star Trek game back in the main frame time sharing days. You had 40 star dates to destroy so many Klingon cruisers. Every time you warped to a new star sector, you used a star date. At the end of one game, one star date left, one cruiser left, but so many sectors left to search, so I just plodded around the sector I was in until an emergency distress called me to the sector the last cruiser was in. Same thing here, plod around at home until something necessary (work, emergency, the like) calls me out of the garage.

B: If everyone's life was defined as normal as my life, we would either need TONS more of capacity of everything or we would always be in shortages. "Fortunately", most people go through life with "Oh, I'll do that tomorrow.".

Old 09-02-2017, 12:09 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
If not for Facebook and the iPhone, there would be no panic. Back in 2008, when Ike hit, both social media and the smartphone were in their infancy. It was harder to spread rumors back then.

Now everyone knows who the gossipers are in the community. They outed themselves as Facebook feed readers who believe everything on there is legitimate news.

Social Media and the Smartphone will be the hallmarks of the Trump Era!

Old 09-02-2017, 08:24 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
i took a new job at a gas company this past week. We build and support gas pumps, so we see everything at every gas station that bought our pumps.. They claim they are out of gas, but they are not. I was able to log in to few local stores to check gages, and the tanks were about half to 3/4 full. Problem is the gas to replace it is above what they can sell it for, so they stop the pump. Well not stop them but put bags on them. If you really want to test them, you can just have to remove the bag and start the pump up using a CC card. Some are really out of gas, but most of them just dont want to sell it cheaper than they can replace it, and pushing the premium to sell it quicker. Even few stations stop putting up the 2.x9.9 sign to keep people from price shopping.

Old 09-02-2017, 11:12 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Considering that San Antonians were able to obtain 2.5 times the amount of gas they normally would consume, I would say that there is plenty of gas. This is a consumer-caused shortage thanks to stupid people.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:03 PM

61,712 posts, read 87,101,195 times
About 500 fueling stations in and around San Antonio were out of gas early Saturday afternoon.
Fuel supply issues are already stalling farmers just starting to take their giant combines and cotton pickers out to the fields.
A far West Texas man who distributed fuel to large farms and ranches posted on social media that he’d been told not to expect another load of gas until next week.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:14 AM

307 posts, read 363,291 times
there should be national reserves for emergencies. think after those got activated it solved the line problem.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:37 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
there should be national reserves for emergencies. think after those got activated it solved the line problem.
There is, but the government takes control over it, and if anybody in the congress has interest in oil, they wont use it. Its all about money to them, not the cause and affect on our lives.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_re..._United_States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas