U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 02:41 AM

493 posts, read 523,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
HAHAHAHA. LOVE IT, WhiteChocolate! Spoken like a True Texan!

I hasten to add that I dearly respects Miss TexasHorseLady, it was just a great post. I bet you agree, don't you?
Man, I think it's time the other 49 states realized that they are subordinates to us...Texas needs to build up a militia and eventually an Army...conquer the rest of the United States and then name the Country...The Republic of Texas and its 49 subordinate states...we shall move the capitol to Fort Worth as it would be near Billy Bobs...the greatest live music venue in the state! Let me know if you want to join my revolution.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 10:02 AM

5,963 posts, read 11,203,567 times
Smile Ask the Texans Why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
I have read a few threads where native Texans are very upset and downright angry that people from other states are moving to Texas. They often speak as though Texas was a seperate country and we were illegal immigrants raiding down on this Republic. I had the opinion that people from Houston were really nice folks...however, as I read more and more, my opinion is starting to change. What are your thoughts?
so many of them move to Alaska. I presume it's for the oil field work. But they sure come up here plenty. Ah, I know why. It's cause you can fit 2 1/2 Texas's into the great State of Alaska.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:10 AM

Smile Alaska Way Bigger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
Man, I think it's time the other 49 states realized that they are subordinates to us...Texas needs to build up a militia and eventually an Army...conquer the rest of the United States and then name the Country...The Republic of Texas and its 49 subordinate states...we shall move the capitol to Fort Worth as it would be near Billy Bobs...the greatest live music venue in the state! Let me know if you want to join my revolution.
LOL at your remark of the other 49 states realizing they are subordinates to Texas. I take this with good humor, and remind you of one thing: You can fit TWO AND A HALF TEXAS'S INTO THE GREAT STATE OF ALASKA. Need I say more?

Old 03-16-2008, 10:17 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,905,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybones
When in Texas....do as a Texan. "Why yes I'd love a coke, make mine a Dr. Pepper."

Post of the day.

LOL I second that!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
Where do I put my mark, sir?

*SALUTE* If I'm not back by dawn, have Capt. Bonham report to Colonel Bowie...

Old 03-16-2008, 10:23 AM

20,816 posts, read 40,053,845 times
With all do respect ma'am, I reserve the right to throw anyone out of my game watching party who roots for the other team...when my hometown team is playing...I encourage all other proud Texans to do the same

Well, as a proud Texas Mama who went to the feed store and bought my son a cowbell especiallyl to take to the sports bars in D.C. and NYC while he lived there, for when the Cowboys or the Longhorns were playing, assuming that he would, of course, be rooting for them and not for the local team that was competing against them, it would be hypocritical of me to advocate this. And loyalty is loyalty, in my book.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
LOL at your remark of the other 49 states realizing they are subordinates to Texas. I take this with good humor, and remind you of one thing: You can fit TWO AND A HALF TEXAS'S INTO THE GREAT STATE OF ALASKA. Need I say more?
LOL I always take in the spirit of good humor such friendly barbs as this. However, Alaska, you must remember that ever since Alaska joined the Union back in the late 50's, that Texans have had a rejoinder in turn to this fact about Alaska's size. It goes something like:

Alaskan: You Texans aren't top dog any more. You can fit Texas into Alaska two and a half times. Har Har Har

Texan: Just wait 'til all the ice melts and you could fit Alaska into Houston two times over. HAHAHAHA

Seriously though, as a matter of historical trivia, when Alaska joined the United States, the words to the state song "Texas, Our Texas" was changed from "largest and grandest" to "boldest and grandest"

Old 03-16-2008, 12:19 PM

1,298 posts, read 3,998,599 times
Ha! I didn't know that, TexasReb!

I like the bumper stickers that read: I Wasn't Born in Texas but I Got Here as Fast as I Could.

To echo what others have said, if the transplants are pleasant and respectful and don't talk about how much better things were back home or what should be changed in Texas, then we're usually okay with them. I just hate the sprawl and the crowds, though, that we have in DFW more and more. And I dislike that sometimes when I'm in a store and feel like I'm in another state because of all the unTexan/unSouthern accents I hear! And then I hear a Texas accent and it's like music to my ears!

Old 03-16-2008, 12:21 PM

9,191 posts, read 20,008,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybones View Post
I spent 2 years in San Antonio and fell in love with that city. Why I ever left I still question. What I loved most, the people, Texans as a whole. I mean, who else calls their state simply, The Great State of?

I'll be a transplant soon myself and one thing I won't do is try to bring any of Chicago to Texas. If it were so great where I live now, I would just stay here. Chili is way better than hotdogs and pizza anyday! I'll just have to settle for being a Texan by choice. Just 6 more days before I get view of that beautiful night sky.

I have a friend from Austin and I asked him how long would it be before I could claim to be a Texan. He said, move down here and hate the north (he was joking, sorta). If that is true I'm half way there. All I have to do is move.

When in Texas....do as a Texan. "Why yes I'd love a coke, make mine a Dr. Pepper."
Very nice post.......and definitely the right attitude.

I am now in NM (7 months removed from WT)....but I had grown up and lived in WT my entire life (save about a year for temporary work locations).

The only transplants I had trouble with were those who moved to TX...and then proceeded to badmouth the place...telling all of us natives how much better it was from whence they came. Well....I had only one answer to that one, and it's not a nice comment...

But those who came...and were friendly...they were welcomed, and people often went out of their way to be helpful. There were some who just flat didn't like TX, but that was OK, as long as they went about their business...and didn't complain all of the time about how horrible it was.

Someone asked me how it felt to be a New Mexican....and I said, "Well, it's delightful to be here as a transplanted Texan to New Mexico."

I love both states, and always will.

Enjoy your trip.....and welcome back to the great state of Texas.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:26 PM

Default No ice melting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL I always take in the spirit of good humor such friendly barbs as this. However, Alaska, you must remember that ever since Alaska joined the Union back in the late 50's, that Texans have had a rejoinder in turn to this fact about Alaska's size. It goes something like:

Alaskan: You Texans aren't top dog any more. You can fit Texas into Alaska two and a half times. Har Har Har

Texan: Just wait 'til all the ice melts and you could fit Alaska into Houston two times over. HAHAHAHA

Seriously though, as a matter of historical trivia, when Alaska joined the United States, the words to the state song "Texas, Our Texas" was changed from "largest and grandest" to "boldest and grandest"
Well regardless of what you may read, the ice ain't melting lol. Don't believe what the greenies and Al Gore spout about. Didn't know that about your State song. I find beauty in all of the States and good people all over. Actually I especially love New England States but can't pry hubby out of here lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas