U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 12:51 PM

493 posts, read 522,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
LOL at your remark of the other 49 states realizing they are subordinates to Texas. I take this with good humor, and remind you of one thing: You can fit TWO AND A HALF TEXAS'S INTO THE GREAT STATE OF ALASKA. Need I say more?
I'm sure most people are smart enough not to take me serious...I am a proud American who was blessed to be Born and Raised in the Greatest State of them all...where in Alaska are you from...One of my friends who is a Mechanic moved down here from Fairbanks...I can imagine the adjustment was quite much! He's been here a while, though

Last edited by whitechocolate86; 03-16-2008 at 01:40 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 03:58 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,320,848 times
I've heard it said that Texas and Alaska are very similar in their frontier spirit, which gives us something in common. Except that now Texas being the new hot spot to move, a lot of the "frontier" is being eaten up by suburbia. And I'm one of the guilty, since I live in a small town, but in a newer neighborhood.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:09 PM

5,963 posts, read 11,202,154 times
Default Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
I'm sure most people are smart enough not to take me serious...I am a proud American who was blessed to be Born and Raised in the Greatest State of them all...where in Alaska are you from...One of my friends who is a Mechanic moved down here from Fairbanks...I can imagine the adjustment was quite much! He's been here a while, though
We're in an area called the Valley, we're about 342 miles away from Fairbanks. Fairbanks has extreme weather, real hot and humid in the summer and brutal winters with 60 below. As for me, I can't take the heat and humidity lol.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:30 PM

It seriously get's 60 below zero?! Fahrenheit? Geez...I actually thought the populated parts of Alaska had more bearable winters (for a southerner like myself) than say Minneapolis...well Anchorage and Juneau anyways...Juneau sounds like a really cool place...I was up there...that is where I would wanna check out Alaska first! I can't imagine how y'all deal with pipes in the winter...I realize you use different material than down here...hopefully Ice Hockey would be a good pastime to get used to the heavy winter. Y'all do get money from the state for Oil still right?
Peace,
WC

Old 03-16-2008, 07:22 PM

5,296 posts, read 12,212,268 times
Whoa, Denton, Texas the center of the universe? When you move to L.A., I believe I'd keep that secret under my hat.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Whoa, Denton, Texas the center of the universe? When you move to L.A., I believe I'd keep that secret under my hat.
Well, it's a joke in reference to Bill and Ted (who were from San Dimas...a suburb of LA) They refered to San Dimas as the center of the universe...I'm sure the center of universe will be wherever I am located at the given time.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:52 PM

2,316 posts, read 4,617,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
I have read a few threads where native Texans are very upset and downright angry that people from other states are moving to Texas.

Dang, I musta missed those, john!

So, how do you like it here?

Old 03-17-2008, 11:19 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,903,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
And I dislike that sometimes when I'm in a store and feel like I'm in another state because of all the unTexan/unSouthern accents I hear! And then I hear a Texas accent and it's like music to my ears!

LOL. I am pretty sure I have shared this story with you before, MissBlueSkies, and quite a few other fellow Texans here, but just for those who may not have seen it, I gotta tell this one one more time. It is an amusing little exchange that supports what you say about the dilution these days of a true Texas/Southern accent in the DFW area.

Anyway, it was some years back and was in the metroplex on some kind of business (or maybe pleaure, who knows? LOL), and checked into a motel near the DFW airport. It was a weekday and things were a bit slow and the clerk and I made a bit of friendly small talk while exchanging the information and all. She was a older black lady and, even before I presented my drivers license, suddenly said something like "You must be from Texas."

I was a bit taken aback and amused by the question. After all, weren't we IN Texas??? I asked what clued here in. She replied: "Cos honey, I am too, and you don't sound like you are from around HERE either!"

I had to crack up!

Old 03-17-2008, 02:46 PM

238 posts, read 714,494 times
People are always welcome here. That's not the issue with me. We just don't want our state turned completely upside down, that's all.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:18 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,834,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
We're in an area called the Valley, we're about 342 miles away from Fairbanks. Fairbanks has extreme weather, real hot and humid in the summer and brutal winters with 60 below. As for me, I can't take the heat and humidity lol.
If that's where I think it is...Palmer/Wasilla/etc?...that's some nice country. Big vegetables, musk ox farms, and great mountain views. I think it is true about the frontier spirit that TX and AK have in common; I certainly have felt at ease ("at home" is not quite the right phrase) when visiting Alaska, and it's probably due to that shared spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas