U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:44 PM

11,798 posts, read 22,996,827 times

Advertisements

Out-of-staters don't bother me any more than anyone else. There are just too many people, period, wherever they are from. I don't mean to sound misanthropic, but the population pressure is just getting out of hand. Most of the things that are going wrong worldwide can be traced to it. There just isn't enough to go around.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 09:20 AM

1,298 posts, read 3,998,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
..I'm sure the center of universe will be wherever I am located at the given time.
heehee, cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL. I am pretty sure I have shared this story with you before, MissBlueSkies, and quite a few other fellow Texans here, but just for those who may not have seen it, I gotta tell this one one more time. It is an amusing little exchange that supports what you say about the dilution these days of a true Texas/Southern accent in the DFW area.

Anyway, it was some years back and was in the metroplex on some kind of business (or maybe pleaure, who knows? LOL), and checked into a motel near the DFW airport. It was a weekday and things were a bit slow and the clerk and I made a bit of friendly small talk while exchanging the information and all. She was a older black lady and, even before I presented my drivers license, suddenly said something like "You must be from Texas."

I was a bit taken aback and amused by the question. After all, weren't we IN Texas??? I asked what clued here in. She replied: "Cos honey, I am too, and you don't sound like you are from around HERE either!"

I had to crack up!
I remember this! Funny, but sad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Out-of-staters don't bother me any more than anyone else. There are just too many people, period, wherever they are from. I don't mean to sound misanthropic, but the population pressure is just getting out of hand. Most of the things that are going wrong worldwide can be traced to it. There just isn't enough to go around.
They bother me to the extent that Texas culture in the big cities is being diluted more and more. I agree, though, concerning the population pressure and it's becoming or will be a problem worldwide. It took thousands of years to get to the first one billion people sometime last century, I think? Now each decade that passes adds another billion or something like that. It's kinda scary. I don't know what the solution is except maybe severe birth control but I don't like the sound of that.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:17 AM

48,508 posts, read 88,448,132 times
I have quite a few friends that oved down in the downturn of the 70's;they seem more worries than I do about things being spoiled. But they have adjusted and in fact many heave family that moved down. Most are from the NE.It desn't really bother me in the least because I find that those that stay adopt and ebmbrace the cultural differences and those that don't leave.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:18 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,022,803 times
I'm with those who say they have no problem with transplants, just those who go to Texas and then proceed to trash talk, going on and on ad nauseam about how good things were in their previous location. It's the equivalent of inviting yourself over to MY house, then telling me how ugly it is! If things are so much better at your house, then stay home!

Old 03-18-2008, 02:28 PM

11,431 posts, read 17,295,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
I have read a few threads where native Texans are very upset and downright angry that people from other states are moving to Texas. They often speak as though Texas was a seperate country and we were illegal immigrants raiding down on this Republic. I had the opinion that people from Houston were really nice folks...however, as I read more and more, my opinion is starting to change. What are your thoughts?
the ppl that come from high priced real estate areas (calif) are ruining the flavor of austin and making it too expensive for native texans to live here comfortably. i wish that we could put a quota on them.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:28 PM

16,092 posts, read 37,920,577 times
What was the name of the Sheriff in Houston who said this in the early 1980s?

"Yankees are like hemorrhoids; when they come down and go back up, they're ok. When they come down and stay down, they are a real pain in the ass".

Old 03-22-2008, 04:54 PM

493 posts, read 522,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
I'm with those who say they have no problem with transplants, just those who go to Texas and then proceed to trash talk, going on and on ad nauseam about how good things were in their previous location. It's the equivalent of inviting yourself over to MY house, then telling me how ugly it is! If things are so much better at your house, then stay home!
Good Point! I have relatives that moved here from NYC and I invited them to go to a Greek Restaurant here in town, and they said it wasn't near in league with that of Greek/Mediterranean food from NYC...I'm like what the hell, NYC has like 10 million people?! or to the like...Denton is slightly over 100,000...and I mean...they are family...but WTF?! Damn, Yankees

Last edited by whitechocolate86; 03-22-2008 at 05:06 PM..

Old 03-22-2008, 05:00 PM

5,963 posts, read 11,202,154 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shaft View Post
If that's where I think it is...Palmer/Wasilla/etc?...that's some nice country. Big vegetables, musk ox farms, and great mountain views. I think it is true about the frontier spirit that TX and AK have in common; I certainly have felt at ease ("at home" is not quite the right phrase) when visiting Alaska, and it's probably due to that shared spirit.
Yes you got the area correct. It is beautiful. But unfortunately the Valley area for the last couple years was the fastest growing in the State uphere. Needless to say, it is now somewhat crowded. Seems like "Alaska" is the place to be lol. The highway has gotten much more crowded and we have people move here from all over the lower 48, and lots have no clue how to drive in snow and ice, and some winter mornings, fog. Even though born here, I get sick of the winters lol, but love our summers.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:36 PM

23 posts, read 16,611 times
I'm having computer trouble, but here comes my answer to your question....good question by the way! see next box below:

Last edited by allamericantx; 03-29-2008 at 04:46 PM..

Old 03-29-2008, 04:45 PM

23 posts, read 16,611 times
RESPECT. It's about respect.......or a lack, thereof. OH, and SMILE !!

Here's the answer to your question.....take it to heart:

Texas has a long history of fighting for everything it has. Before the invention of the Air Conditioner, it truly was the wild west. You had to fight for what you earned and had, and on the "open range", respect became a major, major part of Texas' culture. Now, here's what's going on:

We have people moving here from all over. No problem, we welcome that. BUT, instead of becoming apart of the local scene, we as Texans (speaking of which, I am a FOURTH generation Texan), have noticed a distinct clash of cultures. People moving here are bringing their GARBAGE with them. They complain. WE HATE COMPLAINING.

One guy from the Northeast posted on here, and complained that Austin, for example, sucks and he's moving back to the Northeast, because we don't have: 1. a subway system, 2. Jewish bagels made the way HE likes them, and 3. we're too friendly.....yes, he said we were too friendly.

ok, we as Texans don't need that kind of garbage. It's whiny, it sounds extremely lame, and it's just immature. period. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. We're not seeing that. Instead, we're seeing people bringing their issues, hang ups, disrespect, and all the rest here with them. And then the complaining starts. oh, gosh, the complaining. We don't want any part of it.

We have tornadoes. We have droughts. We have flash floods. We carry guns. Get over it. Only way for me to say it: grow yourself a pair of balls.

We're friendly, and nice, and all that we are DIRECTLY comes from our past and our history. We're actually very warm and caring people. BUT, when we hear "new arrivals" complaining that we're too "nice" or we don't have NY style pizza, and that's ALL they complain about, it doesn't say anything about Texas, it says something about the people moving here.

So, we would prefer one of two things: if you come, be cool and don't whine - OR - stay where you are. We don't have any use for you.

Austin used to be this really funky, crazy, out-there kinda city. We still have some of that intact, like the fact we voted for the right to recognize gay marriage and we still have our nudist beaches on the lake. But, in the 1990's so many people moved to Austin the entire metro area population doubled in 10 years, going from around 600,000 to 1.5 million today. That's a lot of growth, and we're not upset by it. What we ARE upset about, is the plethora of "Babies' R Us" and "Starbucks" and "Walmarts" that have flooded our beautiful city. These things DID NOT exist until people moving here insisted that we, here in Texas, "lacked the goods desired back home". Now, our unique qualities have been bulldozed in exchange for stupid logos and chain restaurants, and on top of it, complaints how we're not like the Northeast.

You have to understand, it does **** locals off. Outsiders trample our charm, then complain nonstop. So, why the heck did you come here, then?! Do you see how it sound to us? Bitching, whining, moaning, and just shut up already. Plus, it adds to stereotypes that we hold about people from various parts of the country. We think people from CA are cold. We think people from the Northeast have yet to cut the umbilical cord with mommy (since all they do is complain), etc etc etc We had a massive amount of Katrina evacuees move here and the crime rate sky rocketed.....um, are you seeing a pattern?

Outsiders have little, if any, respect. We as Texans are having to put up with a lot of crap, and it doens't make us thrilled at all. SO, how can you avoid being apart of the problem? Be cool. Don't complain. Shut up. Participate. Try something new. Smile. I mean, come on, we're not asking for the soul of your first born baby, just some damn ass common sense.

The best advice I can give anyone moving here: smile. Smile and stop being an ass. Some people think it's cute, and that snide comments and under the breath negative remarks are a way of life; but when you're moving into someone else's backyard, it's not cute to that 'someone else'. I mean, really, it boils down to common sense.........exactly, how self absorbed are you?

We're not asking you to carry a gun. We're asking for common courtesy and a smile. If you can't muster that, then go the hell home. We really don't need you. You're worthless to us. Remember, Texans CANNOT STAND complainers. Compared to what we've been through, not having proper Jewish bagels and NY pizza just don't add up to a legitimate complaint.

I cannot, cannot make what I said any more simple. THAT is your answer to a tee. I hope everyone who reads it takes it to heart. We're easy to work with. If you're having issues, it's you, not us.

good luck. but seriously, if you do have any more questions (and that was a good question by the way), feel free to ask. we're more than happy to help. welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas