U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:17 PM

493 posts, read 522,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Phew! I'm glad! I thought my use of smilies would let people know I was kidding around but maybe not always.
Allright, I'm sorry...I wasn't exactly serious either...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 11:45 AM

1,298 posts, read 3,998,236 times
Quote:
GREAT post!!!!!!! I moved here because I appreciated Texas values, liked what the state had to offer and I wanted to be A TEXAN! (Wasn't my fault that I was born in the Northeast, LOL.)
ha ha!! You're right about that, teatime! That's why we say "Born Texan by the Grace of God!" because we obviously didn't choose where we were born but YOU chose to be Texan!

Quote:
Phew! I'm glad! I thought my use of smilies would let people know I was kidding around but maybe not always.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
Allright, I'm sorry...I wasn't exactly serious either...
This I am learning about whitechocolate - his tongue-in-cheek humor.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:15 PM

17 posts, read 59,482 times
I have to say that alot of states ( not just Texas) have the same ideas about transplants

Old 04-02-2008, 09:27 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,144,416 times
I don't mind outsiders. I actually enjoy seeing different license plate on cars strolling around here. I actually wave to some.

As long as the outsiders come here w/ dignity, respect of others, then I don't mind it a single bit. What I do hate is the ones that does not have any respect and they can put a cold shoulder on texas and **** of lots of native Texans.

Texans pride for their state. I totally respect it. It's kind of like UT and Hook'EM horns pride. It's one of the best things I love about Texas; THE PEOPLE well.... actually its the only thing I love about Texas

Old 04-03-2008, 01:36 PM

512 posts, read 788,187 times
As an outsider (and constantly reminded of the fact my entire 7 years here) I will say I also respect the pride in your state and the need to keep it the way it is. But texas isn't the only state which feels this way--it's just the latest state to fall to the decline of civilization (this being Starbucks, liberals, or whatever your vision of decline is).

When I first moved here, from SW Indiana, I was so excited to become a Texan. I'll admit, I had some pretty stereotypical ideas of what being a Texan meant, but they were all good stereotypes, and I quickly realized what great individualism the moderate to big cities have. It's the small town that kicked my butt up one side and down the other, which has me leaving the state with somewhat a bad taste in my mouth. I have been insulted more times than you can possibly imagine, simply because I'm from the North (never thought of myself as from the North until I moved here), not a certain denomination, and because my husband and I are social drinkers. Twice I've been told I'm going to hell, once from a sweet little old lady at the grocery store. Her reason, my denomination. The second time I was told by my neighbor that was going to hell (in front of her son and my children) because I chose to drink alcohol, at a neighborhood picnic. It was in a Solo cup and she only knew it was alcohol because another neighbor poured it for me. My experiences go downhill from there, but I won't go all into that.

All this being said, I know this isn't how the majority of Texans act to outsiders. I understand your gripes about those who come into the state complaining, and I assure you I wasn't one of them. But after getting emotionally beat up for years on end, I can't seem to find it in myself to feel warm towards the people around here. They've been so hateful, agressive, and physically threatening. Thankfully, most of the people who were really hateful have moved out fo the area, or they simply ignore me now. I have teachers at my kids school who won't talk to me because of what they heard another person say about me. After seven years of this, I have nothing too positive to say about this area.

I have been told, more than once by Texans who have migrated to this particular area, that this is one of the worst places for blantantly hateful people. I do believe these people. I think most Texans, regardless of their pride, are very humble and warm people. I do have some good friends here, those who have stepped out of the county line more than once in their life and understand that not everyone has to be and think just like you. And I will go away with the knowledge that God led me here and taught me wonderful things about myself. And don't worry, when I talk to people about my experiences, I do caveat the fact that outside of this immediate area, I've had great experiences. If only I could have lived anywhere else.

My husband has just accepted a job back home, and I am very happy about moving back, being close to my family again. But I do appreciate my time here, and there are things about Texas I love, and those things I will hold close to my chest.

My only thoughts on the ones who come and complain--give them a little time to realize no one is going to jump to their beck and call, then maybe they'll close their mouths and open their eyes to the great things and people around them.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:38 PM

20,816 posts, read 40,047,026 times
Where on earth in Texas did you move to that you were treated like that?

Old 04-03-2008, 01:47 PM

493 posts, read 522,909 times
I don't think Texas is any more conservative than Indiana...

Old 04-03-2008, 04:16 PM

512 posts, read 788,187 times
All I'm willing to say at this point is I live in NE Texas. I've still got another two months down here, and the last thing I need is more trouble. For a while I thought it was just me, but over the past year and a half I've had a couple good conversations with a couple of people who got caught up in some of it, and I very much appreciated their honesty and apologies. As for the rest, well, they've left a sour taste in my mouth only for their kind.

You're right whitechocolate86, IN is still pretty conservative, and I love it. I respect liberal thinking, but I'm a conservative at heart. It's one reason I was so excited to move down here. I love that our kids have learned proper respect for adults, I love that everyone, just about, goes to church (but I feel for those who don't and are ostracized), and I love the family values which are still very strong in Texas. Not that these aren't liberal characteristics as well. I'm just saying that I knew I was getting more of that moving down here. But Indiana is home, it's where I was raised, where nearly all my family still reside. I grew up around KY(our Oklahoma lol), TN, IL, as well, and I've missed visting my old hangouts. Our closest friends, one from the age of 2, are very excited about us coming back. I feel for Indiana as you folks feel for Texas (I'm trying not to get too teary-eyed, lol). I do feel blessed having the experiences I've had, even the bad ones. I will dearly miss Dallas, it's my favorite place, and I've got a couple pretty good friends there. And I will miss visiting old towns to go antiquing, and learning about Texas history (The Alamo--enough said). Oh, and I'm glad my kids were semi-raised knowing another part of the country.

But, yes, IN and TX share a similar conservatism.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:26 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,320,848 times
That's crazy some people would call you a Northerner when you're from Indiana. I've always just thought of it as a laid back midwestern state. Sorry you got stuck in such a drag of a town. Having been raised in a small town, I know how rampant gossip can get

Old 04-04-2008, 10:27 AM

1,298 posts, read 3,998,236 times
So sorry you had to go through that, cleoT. My husband would totally understand how you feel. He grew up in a small town east of Dallas and knows East Texas pretty well and he knows how some of these people can be. You're not the first in this forum to comment like this about that part of the state. You're taking the high road and being the bigger person by not stooping to their level as you're preparing to leave. I'm glad that you can at least take some good memories with you! Best of luck back in your hometown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas