Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 10:43 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,559 times

Advertisements

We've lived here 4 mos., moved just after Thanksgiving.
We came from Orange County, California. We live in Kingwood, and I don't work too far from there, so while technically in Houston, I've only been downtown twice since I arrived.

I work in the oil business, and I was brought in to manage the ERP systems for a large fishing tool company. So, essentially my job is a Californian advising Texans in the oil industry on how to run their business. You'd think I'd have better luck moving to Saudi Arabia and convert people to Christianity. But I have had nothing but a great experience. For all I know they scoff me when I leave the room. But, hey, if all y'all hate me, you're doing a great job of hiding it, and I appreciate it

Most remarkable is when young folks working in stores, or my children's friends call me "sir". I'm 42, if anyone ever called me sir in my whole life in Orange Co, I can't remember. I get the feeling there's a little more family orientation here, which suits me fine.

One thing I love of here is pride in where people are from. People in Texas love Texas. And it is infectious. (hey, that rhymes!)
I love living around people who love what they are and where they're from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 12:33 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
Most remarkable is when young folks working in stores, or my children's friends call me "sir". I'm 42, if anyone ever called me sir in my whole life in Orange Co, I can't remember. I get the feeling there's a little more family orientation here, which suits me fine.

One thing I love of here is pride in where people are from. People in Texas love Texas. And it is infectious. (hey, that rhymes!)
*smiles* This a nice post!

As some of us posted on the "What do you love about Texas" thread, old fashioned good manners, such as using the terms sir, and ma'am, and saying please, thank you, and y'all come back!

And yes, we Texans are a proud people when it comes to our state and our history.

Thank you for your words, sir...and glad to have you amongst us!

Old 03-15-2008, 04:53 PM

493 posts, read 636,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
We've lived here 4 mos., moved just after Thanksgiving.
We came from Orange County, California. We live in Kingwood, and I don't work too far from there, so while technically in Houston, I've only been downtown twice since I arrived.

I work in the oil business, and I was brought in to manage the ERP systems for a large fishing tool company. So, essentially my job is a Californian advising Texans in the oil industry on how to run their business. You'd think I'd have better luck moving to Saudi Arabia and convert people to Christianity. But I have had nothing but a great experience. For all I know they scoff me when I leave the room. But, hey, if all y'all hate me, you're doing a great job of hiding it, and I appreciate it

Hey, what city in Orange County are you from? I know a kid who lives in Houston, but moved as a kid from Fullerton, I think his Father was in the petroleum business...he goes to school up here now...he said OC was the best climate and Houston the worst with Denton-DFW in the middle...no offense to good ole' H-Town...I like it nice down there!

Old 03-15-2008, 05:04 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,276 times
I've visited Houston for extended stays many times with trips to Dallas/Ft. Worth and Austin only once. In all those many times, I can only think of two incidents where the locals were unfriendly. One was at a Target near Sugarland and for whatever reason the clerk working there seemed to hold a grudge for no reason I could think of. The other was a Realtor in Houston who kept insisting that people from Chicago were bigots and that none of us want to live in mixed neighborhoods. I ended up having very little to do with that Realtor.

Other than those two incidents, every person I've met throughout my travels in Texas, Realtors included, have been pleasant and welcoming, even when I tell them I'm from Chicago.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
I'm not from Texas, but I've lived here for over 5 years now and found plenty to like. To me, the things that are good outweigh the things that are different from the places I've lived before. I usually go out of my way to point out those things I like to the folks who have been here longer than I have and I've always been treated warmly by those folks when I do that.

I can see how other transplants could focus on what's different and be disappointed with life in Texas. I can also imagine how those opinions would be viewed poorly by natives who love their home state.

The only place I diverge is in support for my favorite sports teams from "back home." I'm a proud supporter of my favorite teams and I won't hesitate to root for them over Texas teams.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:25 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
The only place I diverge is in support for my favorite sports teams from "back home." I'm a proud supporter of my favorite teams and I won't hesitate to root for them over Texas teams.

Well, that's just loyalty, and I think you'll find that loyalty is a virtue highly regarded by native Texans. We would, after all, do the same in your shoes.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:55 PM

493 posts, read 636,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Well, that's just loyalty, and I think you'll find that loyalty is a virtue highly regarded by native Texans. We would, after all, do the same in your shoes.
With all do respect ma'am, I reserve the right to throw anyone out of my game watching party who roots for the other team...when my hometown team is playing...I encourage all other proud Texans to do the same...lol...jk...but seriously...Rangers, Mavericks, Cowboys, Stars, Spurs, Astros, Rockets, Texans, what isn't to love?!?! It's kinda like someone who moved from Colorado to Texas...coming to my party...and I offer them a Shiner Bock or Pearl/Lone Star...and they suggest a Coors...that gets me angry...very angry although, I have recieved flack from friends when the Spurs are playing a team other than the Mavericks and I root for the Spurs...because the Mavs and Spurs are rivals...I don't really consider them arch-rivals but I can see where they are coming from...but, once again...Lone Star Pride!

Old 03-15-2008, 06:11 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechocolate86 View Post
With all do respect ma'am, I reserve the right to throw anyone out of my game watching party who roots for the other team...when my hometown team is playing...I encourage all other proud Texans to do the same...lol...jk...but seriously...Rangers, Mavericks, Cowboys, Stars, Spurs, Astros, Rockets, Texans, what isn't to love?!?! It's kinda like someone who moved from Colorado to Texas...coming to my party...and I offer them a Shiner Bock or Pearl/Lone Star...and they suggest a Coors...that gets me angry...very angry although, I have recieved flack from friends when the Spurs are playing a team other than the Mavericks and I root for the Spurs...because the Mavs and Spurs are rivals...I don't really consider them arch-rivals but I can see where they are coming from...but, once again...Lone Star Pride!
HAHAHAHA. LOVE IT, WhiteChocolate! Spoken like a True Texan!

I hasten to add that I dearly respects Miss TexasHorseLady, it was just a great post. I bet you agree, don't you?

Old 03-15-2008, 09:03 PM

245 posts, read 697,616 times
I spent 2 years in San Antonio and fell in love with that city. Why I ever left I still question. What I loved most, the people, Texans as a whole. I mean, who else calls their state simply, The Great State of?

I'll be a transplant soon myself and one thing I won't do is try to bring any of Chicago to Texas. If it were so great where I live now, I would just stay here. Chili is way better than hotdogs and pizza anyday! I'll just have to settle for being a Texan by choice. Just 6 more days before I get view of that beautiful night sky.

I have a friend from Austin and I asked him how long would it be before I could claim to be a Texan. He said, move down here and hate the north (he was joking, sorta). If that is true I'm half way there. All I have to do is move.

When in Texas....do as a Texan. "Why yes I'd love a coke, make mine a Dr. Pepper."

Old 03-15-2008, 11:30 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybones View Post
When in Texas....do as a Texan. "Why yes I'd love a coke, make mine a Dr. Pepper."
Post of the day.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas