Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 04:20 PM

493 posts, read 637,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allamericantx View Post
RESPECT. It's about respect.......or a lack, thereof. OH, and SMILE !!

Here's the answer to your question.....take it to heart:

Texas has a long history of fighting for everything it has. Before the invention of the Air Conditioner, it truly was the wild west. You had to fight for what you earned and had, and on the "open range", respect became a major, major part of Texas' culture. Now, here's what's going on:

We have people moving here from all over. No problem, we welcome that. BUT, instead of becoming apart of the local scene, we as Texans (speaking of which, I am a FOURTH generation Texan), have noticed a distinct clash of cultures. People moving here are bringing their GARBAGE with them. They complain. WE HATE COMPLAINING.

One guy from the Northeast posted on here, and complained that Austin, for example, sucks and he's moving back to the Northeast, because we don't have: 1. a subway system, 2. Jewish bagels made the way HE likes them, and 3. we're too friendly.....yes, he said we were too friendly.

ok, we as Texans don't need that kind of garbage. It's whiny, it sounds extremely lame, and it's just immature. period. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. We're not seeing that. Instead, we're seeing people bringing their issues, hang ups, disrespect, and all the rest here with them. And then the complaining starts. oh, gosh, the complaining. We don't want any part of it.

We have tornadoes. We have droughts. We have flash floods. We carry guns. Get over it. Only way for me to say it: grow yourself a pair of balls.

We're friendly, and nice, and all that we are DIRECTLY comes from our past and our history. We're actually very warm and caring people. BUT, when we hear "new arrivals" complaining that we're too "nice" or we don't have NY style pizza, and that's ALL they complain about, it doesn't say anything about Texas, it says something about the people moving here.

So, we would prefer one of two things: if you come, be cool and don't whine - OR - stay where you are. We don't have any use for you.

Austin used to be this really funky, crazy, out-there kinda city. We still have some of that intact, like the fact we voted for the right to recognize gay marriage and we still have our nudist beaches on the lake. But, in the 1990's so many people moved to Austin the entire metro area population doubled in 10 years, going from around 600,000 to 1.5 million today. That's a lot of growth, and we're not upset by it. What we ARE upset about, is the plethora of "Babies' R Us" and "Starbucks" and "Walmarts" that have flooded our beautiful city. These things DID NOT exist until people moving here insisted that we, here in Texas, "lacked the goods desired back home". Now, our unique qualities have been bulldozed in exchange for stupid logos and chain restaurants, and on top of it, complaints how we're not like the Northeast.

You have to understand, it does **** locals off. Outsiders trample our charm, then complain nonstop. So, why the heck did you come here, then?! Do you see how it sound to us? Bitching, whining, moaning, and just shut up already. Plus, it adds to stereotypes that we hold about people from various parts of the country. We think people from CA are cold. We think people from the Northeast have yet to cut the umbilical cord with mommy (since all they do is complain), etc etc etc We had a massive amount of Katrina evacuees move here and the crime rate sky rocketed.....um, are you seeing a pattern?

Outsiders have little, if any, respect. We as Texans are having to put up with a lot of crap, and it doens't make us thrilled at all. SO, how can you avoid being apart of the problem? Be cool. Don't complain. Shut up. Participate. Try something new. Smile. I mean, come on, we're not asking for the soul of your first born baby, just some damn ass common sense.

The best advice I can give anyone moving here: smile. Smile and stop being an ass. Some people think it's cute, and that snide comments and under the breath negative remarks are a way of life; but when you're moving into someone else's backyard, it's not cute to that 'someone else'. I mean, really, it boils down to common sense.........exactly, how self absorbed are you?

We're not asking you to carry a gun. We're asking for common courtesy and a smile. If you can't muster that, then go the hell home. We really don't need you. You're worthless to us. Remember, Texans CANNOT STAND complainers. Compared to what we've been through, not having proper Jewish bagels and NY pizza just don't add up to a legitimate complaint.

I cannot, cannot make what I said any more simple. THAT is your answer to a tee. I hope everyone who reads it takes it to heart. We're easy to work with. If you're having issues, it's you, not us.

good luck. but seriously, if you do have any more questions (and that was a good question by the way), feel free to ask. we're more than happy to help. welcome.
Man, that's hilarious about the Jewish bagel guy...haha...starbucks pisses me off...I swear I can't believe how many of those things have come to our town since the decade began...I love Seattle music...not their d*mn coffee...I really like how people come here and complain about guns (didn't people realize we were a state of gun toters before they came here)...
I can't believe the Austin traffic at 2pm...I thought 2 was after the noon rush hour period...I traveled from denton to sa and back and went on the 290 into austin and back up to dfw...the friggin traffic was horrible...and the whole austin/round rock being one city now...I can't believe that...I could have sworn when I first visited austin in 1996 that there was some space between the two cities...I also agree about the katrina evacuees thing...not that we shouldn't invite people down on their luck here...but when the crime skyrockets...and bleeding hearts complain about texans (or more specifically houston) not being sympathetic...
my two cents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 04:43 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:

good luck. but seriously, if you do have any more questions (and that was a good question by the way), feel free to ask. we're more than happy to help. welcome.
Great job, ATX! There ain't a dad burn thing in here that I would disagree with! TEXAS! Where the South meets the West...by gawd!

Old 03-30-2008, 02:22 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,009,043 times
Quote:

Here's the answer to your question.....take it to heart:

Texas has a long history of fighting for everything it has. Before the invention of the Air Conditioner, it truly was the wild west. You had to fight for what you earned and had, and on the "open range", respect became a major, major part of Texas' culture. Now, here's what's going on:

We have people moving here from all over. No problem, we welcome that. BUT, instead of becoming apart of the local scene, we as Texans (speaking of which, I am a FOURTH generation Texan), have noticed a distinct clash of cultures. People moving here are bringing their GARBAGE with them. They complain. WE HATE COMPLAINING.

One guy from the Northeast posted on here, and complained that Austin, for example, sucks and he's moving back to the Northeast, because we don't have: 1. a subway system, 2. Jewish bagels made the way HE likes them, and 3. we're too friendly.....yes, he said we were too friendly.

ok, we as Texans don't need that kind of garbage. It's whiny, it sounds extremely lame, and it's just immature. period. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. We're not seeing that. Instead, we're seeing people bringing their issues, hang ups, disrespect, and all the rest here with them. And then the complaining starts. oh, gosh, the complaining. We don't want any part of it.

We have tornadoes. We have droughts. We have flash floods. We carry guns. Get over it. Only way for me to say it: grow yourself a pair of balls.
GREAT post!!!!!!! I moved here because I appreciated Texas values, liked what the state had to offer and I wanted to be A TEXAN! (Wasn't my fault that I was born in the Northeast, LOL.)

Now, I have told some friends and family members who were starting to express an interest in moving here, too, that they should probably stay home or relocate closer to home. Why? Because they expected to take advantage of the great job market and low-cost housing and they wanted Texas to accommodate them in those aspects but they didn't REALLY want to be Texans and they expected that they could remake their part of Texas in their own image. WTH?!

Right after remarking how good Texas' economy is, they would start ticking off the things they wouldn't like and would have to alter -- the conservatism, the evangelicals, the weather (good luck with that one!), the "Southernness," Texas pride, etc. Stupidly, they didn't seem to recognize that it's the conservative values and Texas independent spirit that have helped make the state thrive! But, no, they want to come down and change all of that to suit them. No, THANK YOU!

The last thing we need are a bunch of left wingers who think there should be a government program for every ill and that civilization begins with a Starbucks or Chilis on every corner to be moving here and changing our Texas. Hahahahahaha, if they start to overrun our state, I suppose we can round them up and confine them to Austin!

Last edited by teatime; 03-30-2008 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: shorten quote. Post was too big!

Old 03-30-2008, 02:41 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Hahahahahaha, if they start to overrun our state, I suppose we can round them up and confine them to Austin!

Please, no. Just no.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Hahahahahaha, if they start to overrun our state, I suppose we can round them up and confine them to Austin!

Please, no. Just no.
Oh, c'mon!!!!! Please?! Austinites LOVE to brag on how open-minded and accepting their fair city is!!!! This would be the ultimate!!!!

Well, if you MUST decline, perhaps we can move them all to the outskirts of Sweetwater (west of the city) and let them have at it. They could build Big Box Utopia and Lib City; the rattlesnakes could be used to keep them from encroaching on the rest of our state!

Old 03-30-2008, 03:10 PM

It's because Austin is so open-minded and accepting that the folks referred to by teatime simply wouldn't be appropriate there - they'd be fish out of water. As teatime very clearly understands.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:36 PM

493 posts, read 637,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
GREAT post!!!!!!! I moved here because I appreciated Texas values, liked what the state had to offer and I wanted to be A TEXAN! (Wasn't my fault that I was born in the Northeast, LOL.)

Now, I have told some friends and family members who were starting to express an interest in moving here, too, that they should probably stay home or relocate closer to home. Why? Because they expected to take advantage of the great job market and low-cost housing and they wanted Texas to accommodate them in those aspects but they didn't REALLY want to be Texans and they expected that they could remake their part of Texas in their own image. WTH?!

Right after remarking how good Texas' economy is, they would start ticking off the things they wouldn't like and would have to alter -- the conservatism, the evangelicals, the weather (good luck with that one!), the "Southernness," Texas pride, etc. Stupidly, they didn't seem to recognize that it's the conservative values and Texas independent spirit that have helped make the state thrive! But, no, they want to come down and change all of that to suit them. No, THANK YOU!

The last thing we need are a bunch of left wingers who think there should be a government program for every ill and that civilization begins with a Starbucks or Chilis on every corner to be moving here and changing our Texas. Hahahahahaha, if they start to overrun our state, I suppose we can round them up and confine them to Austin!
Ok, so us native born and bred texans with some liberal values...who don't live in Austin...are...well...unpure? I strongly support the second amendment and favor getting illegals out of the country and I'm somewhat conservative on fiscal issues...investments being taxed...I do consider myself more liberal than conservative...so are you hating on us my friend...how does being a conservative make you an independent spirit necessarily, doesn't my voting for kerry (even though he was the biggest douchebag that could have run against bush) in Denton county, which voted 70/30 in favor of bush make me a True Texas Rebel because I don't conform to the masses? let us look at your groupthink huxley argument here...true texans value their independent beliefs...you can be a texas rebel and have voted for Ann Richards or be one who voted for Rick Perry ...you know, I think you are wrong about the whole liberal makes you an automatic north easterner or something...If I go anywhere outside of Texas, I wanna check out california...just because I want to try something new...pretty much everyone of my friends says that I will more than likely not want to stay, but that you gotta try something just to see...If I feel I can't conquer the golden state, I will probably just settle on building a life here in Texas...preferably the Hill Country...because it's beauty is exotic to me, since I usually go there twice a year

Old 03-30-2008, 03:57 PM

Note to self: Nix attempts at humor.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:08 PM

Not to worry, teatime. I got it!

Old 03-30-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Not to worry, teatime. I got it!
Phew! I'm glad! I thought my use of smilies would let people know I was kidding around but maybe not always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas